Aller au contenu
publicité

Place du SPECTRUM / Complexe SIDEV - 26 étages (2011)

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

publicité
  • Réponses 623
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

That's the unfortunate part of increasing the density downtown - you have to allow the "big box" stores to invade downtown. That's why there's a Canadian Tire in the Toronto Eaton Centre. Expect more Metro, Loblaws, Canadian Tire, Best Buy, Rona to invade downtown if more people start living there. Some residential buildings have big box stores on the ground level.

That's the unfortunate part of increasing the density downtown - you have to allow the "big box" stores to invade downtown. That's why there's a Canadian Tire in the Toronto Eaton Centre. Expect more Metro, Loblaws, Canadian Tire, Best Buy, Rona to invade downtown if more people start living there. Some residential buildings have big box stores on the ground level.

No, you don't have to allow big box stores downtown, they're a suburban phenomenon and that's where they should stay. I don't want Ste-Cath, The Main, St-Denis to look like 'Any Street USA' like every other city.

No, you don't have to allow big box stores downtown, they're a suburban phenomenon and that's where they should stay. I don't want Ste-Cath, The Main, St-Denis to look like 'Any Street USA' like every other city.

Tous les supermarchés au centre-ville sont locataires de bâtiments. Les terrains sont bien trop chères à se procurer pour bannière seulement que pour y implanter un magasin. Je pense qu'il s'intègre parfaitement au projet qui y sont construit. Je pense au IGA à la Place Desjardins et à la place Alexis-Nihon, au nouveau Métro sur Notre-Dame qui est au rez-de chaussée des résedences étudiantes de l'ETS. Les vieux bâtiments font de très beau supermarché aussi. Loblaws gare jean-talon, Loblaws Angus, et plus récemment Super C ont emménagé dans un édifice centenaire je crois au coin de Pie-IX et Ontario.

and why the hell not?? If its ideological then there's no point debating it here.

A few years ago I was rambling that it can be hard to live downtown because the lack of modern era general stores and big groceries. Today it's getting better but still a long way to go to compete with the burbs for convienience. Montrealers still come to the burbs in droves to buy furniture ( yeah I'm not talking about designer stuff that needs a second mortgage to pay them off).

Obviously if the whole street was big box stores it wouldn't be any more exciting than going to a mall. But I don't have a problem with a few of them, as long as they are integrated into local buildings. I'd take big box stores over the empty storefronts of Brantford, ON any day of the week.

For instance, the Best Buy in downtown Toronto is well integrated into the Ted Rogers School of Management building.

800px-Ted_Rogers_School_of_Management.JPG

I don't see a problem with a Best Buy on Ste-Catherine Street. It doesn't have to be only located on the first floor. It could be on 2 or 3 floors. The Bay on Ste-Catherine is huge and on many floors.

Obviously if the whole street was big box stores it wouldn't be any more exciting than going to a mall. But I don't have a problem with a few of them, as long as they are integrated into local buildings. I'd take big box stores over the empty storefronts of Brantford, ON any day of the week.

For instance, the Best Buy in downtown Toronto is well integrated into the Ted Rogers School of Management building.

800px-Ted_Rogers_School_of_Management.JPG

Thats an excellent way to use prime frontage to fund universities... I wish our universities would do the same (Concordia did a bit of it on Ste-Catherine).