Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

Nonsense. You can't sell the fact that Montreal is the only major Canadian market to have a housing downturn due to the political instability - and promoters who are at risks for tens of millions of dollars know this. Just not credible...

I just want to reiterate something. Under no circumstance did the instability begin or end with the PQ, nor did I insinuate that. BOTH sides of the political spectrum have been toxic to economic expansion of projects like this one. Economic protectionism, NIMBYs having too much say, welfare mentality, infrastructure shortcomings, etc. have all led to a very hostile environment for exploitative undertakings. The political instability I was talking about is at all levels of government, not just provincial.

My post was in no way targeting the PQ either. Truth be told, the PQ has brought in a number of incentives for developers and leasehold managers to take a second look at Montreal as a viable city for development. I wholly support that regardless of their other ideals.

As proof that this post isn't some politically-motivated trite, my information comes directly from the source as the company I work for was considering taking a stake in an initially-proposed ground-level retail component of this development (along with a few other companies supposedly). Since I deal directly with leasing and space development, all of the negotiations or RFI's typically go over my desk in some form or another. :)

publicité
  • Réponses 396
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Don`t assume that others don`t understand the risks. Montreal has just been ranked as one of the top cities on the continent and in the world, regarding its quality of life. In fact , if not for our weather (which personally I enjoy) it would be ranked much higher. Its rankings, by independent international experts, are consistently high. So, wherein lies this unusually high risk that some perceive? Does it reflect reality, or is it just in their minds? While some see risks, others see opportunities now, and others think that parts of our market may be a little saturated now. Investing in a saturated market is a form of risk, of course, but with a little creativity or keen sense of timing, that risk can be managed. It is simply an option of deciding on the best timing.

Now this wonderful city of Toronto which you extol. Would I invest in a city overseen by a crack smoking, alcohol-abusing mayor who hangs out with shady underground characters and who is still supported by 40% of the electorate?. I think that I would wait a bit; something is very wrong there.

Precisely. The whole board here is going to start whining and calling me out for being negative, but basically very few understand how much capital risk is involved with a project like this. Investors can lose millions easily - and honestly who would invest in mid/high-end housing in Montreal right now?

In terms of credibility, I trust you're more connected to reality than some of the anecdotal evidence being provided by other posters on this forum. Thanks for your insight.

I think it's not about wether or not there is an instability. It's just the fact that you are always politically biased, and that you cannot see any positive news. So no one is taking your comments seriously anymore.

Good for you. I'm simply stating my opinion of what's going on in the mind of any investors looking to put tens of millions of their own capital into a market with uncertainty like ours. Personally could care less if you dont like my opinion.

You care so very much about Montreal to care for other things don't you..!

A Price to pay

Let´s be honest. There is à price to pay for electing a PQ majority gouvernement. It creates incertaintie. Investors hate uncertainties. It goes too for the type of society in which the gouvernement takes care of its citizen. We want to be différent, we already pay a heavy price. We âgée doomed to repeat history, maybe this time wish à twist...

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

Montréal a développé le secteur du condo urbain avec beaucoup de retard en comparaison des autres grandes villes canadiennes. Bien qu'existant depuis longtemps, il a toujours été marginal et l'essentiel des projets de construction se faisait dans l'individuel, les plexs et les petits projets. Depuis quelques années on assiste à une recrudescence de projets de grande dimension, du jamais vu dans notre ville. Est-ce un phénomène de retour à la ville? Ou est-ce un segment négligé qui répond enfin à un engouement nouveau? Ou simplement de la spéculation immobilière?

Peut-être un peu de tout cela? Mais ça marche...

Avec la quantité de projets en cours et d'autres approuvés, il est normal que certains soient reportés, ou carrément annulés par manque d'intérêt du public. Ce qui n'empêche pourtant pas de nouveaux projets d'être encore annoncés, bien qu'à une cadence plus ralentie. La compétition est féroce et on s'adresse nécessairement à une clientèle limitée en nombre et pas nécessairement encline au risque. C'est vrai pour les promoteurs, mais c'est aussi vrai pour les acheteurs. Donc Babylone tombe dans cette catégorie, tout comme le Tom, Point Zéro et quelques autres. On retrouve ce phénomène dans tous les marchés, et je ne vois pas ici la relation avec la politique, sinon dans l'esprit de certains obsessifs qui tiennent absolument à toujours avoir raison.

Babylone est un beau projet qui a sa place parmi ceux que l'on voudrait voir érigés. Cependant il dépend de la volonté de ses promoteurs et aussi de leur jugement et capacité vis à vis du risque, surtout que la compétition est assez intense dans ce coin de la ville. Il m'apparait alors sage peut-être, d'attendre une embellie et revenir plus tard, quand la vague de gros projets aura atteint sa maturité. Pendant ce temps cependant, CF continue de planifier d'autres phases et discute permis avec l'administration montréalaise.

Il est donc clair que l'analyse du marché est perçue différemment selon les investisseurs et qu'il est présomptueux de tirer des conclusions à partir d'un seul projet.

Tu vois Habsfan, c'est ça dont je parle.

Impossible de discuter sans qu'une poignée de membres (les mêmes) viennent s'accaparer le fil...le tout en moins de 12h.

Je suis prêt à me passer le la section "économie" si il y est légitime de brasser la marde dans celle-ci, mais on peux-tu garder la section "projets" en dehors de ça?

On peut rien faire?

Modifié par UrbMtl

c'est de la politique de constater les effets negatifs du climat d'investissement a Montreal - de voir un projet comme ceci tomber en panne. Just wait...

Décidément tu ne comprends rien à rien. Si j'étais modérateur, ce serait bye bye mon chum.