Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Cultural centre funds coming: mayor

waiting on Quebec and Ottawa

By James Mennie, Montreal Gazette July 7, 2010 11:18 PM

Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay is dismissing an apparent bureaucratic logjam that has pinched off funding for the construction of a media centre that is part of the refurbishing of lower St. Laurent Blvd.

"If I'd waited for all (levels of) government to sign for the Quartier des spectacles, we'd still be waiting," he said, comparing the ongoing construction of a show district near Place des Arts with the stalled progress of the 2-22, a two-storey cultural centre slated to be built at the corner of Ste. Catherine St. and St. Laurent Blvd.

"The city has invested $7 million (in the 2-22) and I think the federal government and the provincial government have to finalize the details as soon as possible.

"If you look at the Quartier des spectacles, I invested $40 million before we signed all the documents. I have faith in the federal government, I have faith in the provincial government.

"I think (the 2-22) is an important project that will revitalize St. Laurent Blvd. and we must move forward as soon as possible."

Tremblay's faith notwithstanding, the mayor told the The Gazette he would speak with federal infrastructure minister John Baird, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Quebec lieutenant, Christian Paradis, and Quebec Culture Minister Christine St. Pierre in an effort to get the project's funding flowing again.

"But the information we have, it's just a matter of finalizing the details."

Christian Yaccarini, whose Société de développement Angus is promoting the 2-22 project, did not acknowledge The Gazette's request for an interview Wednesday.

But earlier this week, Yaccarini expressed concerns to the French-language daily Le Devoir that unless the promised funding arrives this month and payments are made for the construction work already carried out, lawsuits might be filed.

The project's deadline for completion is March of next year.

The 2-22's nebulous status with the levels of government pledged to support it is a far cry from the high-profile support the project received when the start of construction was officially announced last May.

Culture minister St. Pierre was joined by Quebec finance minister Raymond Bachand, Tremblay and dozens of other dignitaries when Yaccarini told reporters the project was finally getting the green light.

During a meeting last month of the Ville Marie borough council, residents expressed concern over the problems of drug use and the occupation of vacant lots by homeless youth. The fact the 2-22 site will stand idle for the foreseeable future might add to their concerns, but Tremblay was as dismissive of that possibility as he was that the project would not proceed.

"There's security (at the site)," he said, noting that the area was walled and fenced off from the public and that access from Ste. Catherine St. was stopped by roadwork on the street.

"There's just a big hole there."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Cultural+centre+funds+coming+mayor/3248241/story.html#ixzz0t3kpeqQf

:chillpill:

• Réponses 977
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

^Glad to finally see another conservative forumer here! :goodvibes:

Finally?? This place is filled with conservatives!

The project must be crap considering no bank or other entity is interested in funding it... if it is absolutely contingent on government money, it is a failure anyway. Better a big hole and no wasted taxpayer money than another Ilot Voyageur... Certainly the government seems to be bungling the situation by dithering, but we are talking government, that is how they work :D

Because we know that when it comes to culture, banks are always there to provide money. I guess every single movie from Canada isn't worth it either, since we need government money to produce them.

"If I'd waited for all (levels of) government to sign for the Quartier des spectacles, we'd still be waiting," he said, comparing the ongoing construction of a show district near Place des Arts with the stalled progress of the 2-22, a two-storey cultural centre slated to be built at the corner of Ste. Catherine St. and St. Laurent Blvd.

Vive les médias.

Encore surprenant que l'auteur n'aie pas écrit :

"a two-storey tower"

ou encore

"a two-storey skyscraper"

Vive le Québec.

:thumbsdown: Il semble que ce soit le résultat mitigé de la méthode Yacarini qui utilise régulièrement les médias pour faire pression sur tout le monde. Malheureusement le monsieur n'est de toute évidence pas le meilleur promoteur qu'il faut pour faire avancer les projets puisqu'en plus de l'enlisement apparent du 2-22, il y a le quadrilatère St-Laurent en face qui demeure stagnant et le projet au-dessus de l'édicule du métro St-Laurent abandonné.

Quand je pense qu'il se vantait orgueilleusement cet hiver dans un article du Devoir à propos de sa "compagnie de développement social" et la nouvelle façon de faire des affaires, en annonçant prématurément l'avancement de ses dossiers, on le voit une fois de plus reculer et menacer le seul projet qui semblait déboucher.

C'est pourtant une étrange coïncidence que les 3 projets de SDA n'arrivent pas à s'affirmer dans le paysage montréalais? A voir l'évolution des choses je doute de plus en plus de la compétence de cette compagnie et garde peu d'espoir pour la suite des choses notamment pour le quadrilatère St-Laurent.

Je suis normalement de nature optimiste, tout en demeurant réaliste, mais la saga SDA m'apparait comme le pire exemple à suivre. A moins que quelqu'un d'autre prenne les projets en main, j'ai peu d'espoir de les voir aboutir prochainement. Dommage car le Quartier des Spectacles et la ville de Montréal mérite mieux en fait de développeur.

i fucking hate this city sometimes.

Once I read an article about retails activity in New-York city and one of the persons in charge of Tristan and America stores openings in that city told to the journalists that getting permits (and it seems like there are a shitload of them !!) was ridiculously complicated and highly beaurocratics !!

So in short, Montréal is not alone in this case !! Which is not a reason to accept this kind of stupid situation.

si la ville avait les reins solides et ne gaspillait pas son argent à gauche et à droite, elle aurait pu le financer elle même... mais non on doit quêter Ottawa et Québec pour une crotte d'immeuble.

Je te trouve un peu de mauvaise foi ici !! La ville investit tout de même beaucoup dans le QDS avec l'aménagement des deux places publiques et la reconstruction des infrastructures sur la rue Sainte-Catherine. De plus les pouvoirs de taxation des gouvernements provinciaux et du gouvernement fédéral sont plus importants que ceux des villes. Il est normal pour les villes non pas de quêter mais de demander de l'argent. Ça ne devrait pas ressembler à de la mendicité mais plutôt à une requête !!

Modifié par yarabundi

i fucking hate this city sometimes.

I know how you feel! I may have to kill myself because this building is delayed. This has drastically affected my life and my enjoyment of the city

This doesn't happen anywhere else.. (except for everywhere else)

Goodbye cruel world!!

Note: I'm not actuallly killing myself despite this major, life-changing event. I will somehow manage to carry on... though it will be difficult!

Please building.. renew my love of life!!