Aller au contenu

Institut Fraser : Y a-t-il trop d'immigrants?

ErickMontreal

Messages recommendés

I find your lack of loyalty to your country to be quite unfortunate. Perhaps you should think about living elsewhere.

Fuck off. Seriously.

First you're trying to tell me not to use your Lord's name in vain, and now you're telling me I should live elsewhere?

Occupes-toi de tes affaires et crisse moi patience. Je te dis pas comment vivre, alors je te demanderais de faire de même envers moi.

Y'a toujours ben des limites.

• Réponses 49
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Fuck off. Seriously.

First you're trying to tell me not to use your Lord's name in vain, and now you're telling me I should live elsewhere?

Occupes-toi de tes affaires et crisse moi patience. Je te dis pas comment vivre, alors je te demanderais de faire de même envers moi.

Lighten up. You don't look credible when you respond to a comment in such a angry and hostile way. Remember, it's just a forum. I don't mean to jab you personally, it's all in the heat of the argument here. You should not take so much offense because you know that I do not know you.

At any rate, I believe this topic has been discussed to death.

There is truth to every generalization and stereotype that exists. Otherwise, these generalizations/stereotypes would not exist.

No, generalizations/stereotypes exist because of perception, not because of truth.

De la même façon, c'est réellement justifié de déclarer que les autos de GM sont de la m* ...?

I'm not saying that all your average people are coming in with that mentality. But certain ones still do, as exemplified by the Villanueva brothers.

Of course there are plenty of reasons not linked to country of origin that I have not mentioned. But, my point here is that you don't see a whole lot of (3rd generation or more) Canadians in street gangs, etc. The majority are either 1st or second generation. You can't deny that the criminality rate of these groups is higher than the average.

Many people in these groups are more marginalized, and for a variety of reasons they are tempted by unpunished crime.

People with a "violent mentality" are really not as common as you think, and anyway Canada regularly rejects hundreds of thousands of candidates to take the most qualified quarter-million people possible.

What else should the government do to filter the "undesirable foreigners"? Ban a whole series of countries? Which ones??

I don't know if I consider people who feel more attachment to their country of origin than to their country of birth to be Canadians or not. But this goes for a most groups that have come since the 1950s. It seems takes a few generations for them to fully integrate. However, the point is that 2nd generation kids should feel privileged to be born in Canada. Why should some feel the need to commit crime at a higher rate than the overall population norm? In France this is a huge problem (and fortunately it's not a big one here yet)

It's normal, past immigration was essentially Europeans and Jews, whose cultures are very compatible with (or even shaped) Canada's and the US' culture.

Fuck off. Seriously.

:highfive:

No, generalizations/stereotypes exist because of perception, not because of truth.

De la même façon, c'est réellement justifié de déclarer que les autos de GM sont de la m* ...?

Touché. You caught me here. Although I would agree that GM cars were not quite up to snuff 10 years ago, a lot has changed. But it's true that their bad reputation hasn't seem to have disappeared.

Many people in these groups are more marginalized, and for a variety of reasons they are tempted by unpunished crime.

I won't deny that. I especially have a big problem with educated immigrants having their credentials rejected. A PhD should not be driving a cab.

People with a "violent mentality" are really not as common as you think, and anyway Canada regularly rejects hundreds of thousands of candidates to take the most qualified quarter-million people possible.

What else should the government do to filter the "undesirable foreigners"? Ban a whole series of countries? Which ones??

You're right to an extent. The violent mentality isn't as prevalent as the media makes it out to be. Although it does still exist. That said, I would not ban any particular countries where violence is a problem. I would just try to better balance where immigrants come from. Rather than receiving a lot from a small handful of countries, let's receive a handful (of roughly equal amounts) from each of a large number of different countries. That makes more sense. That way no one group feels ghettoized, and they will integrate more easily.

It's normal, past immigration was essentially Europeans and Jews, whose cultures are very compatible with (or even shaped) Canada's and the US' culture.

Yeah, although I imagine there were problems back then too. Although back then, Canadian society was also a lot more prejudiced (for instance quotas on Jews at McGill), so it wasn't entirely on account of the immigrants either. (And it isn't all on account of the immigrants that these problems exist either. It's also our fault for not integrating them better into Canadian society by making them feel part of it)

At any rate, I think we can agree on this one. ;)

I'm sorry if I did cause offense by the way. I'm really not that much of a prick in real life. I just had a grueling couple of weeks that's all.

LMAO, you won't be able to find me among the sea of Blue and White jerseys at ACC. I'll blend in like a chameleon.

I can accept the fact that you are a religious person. I can even accept the fact that you seem to be a conservative/republican supporter...but I dtraw the line with the Leafies! You are an ennemy of the state, a traitor and should be banned from mtlurb for being a fan of the Losers!;)

I can accept the fact that you are a religious person. I can even accept the fact that you seem to be a conservative/republican supporter...but I dtraw the line with the Leafies! You are an ennemy of the state, a traitor and should be banned from mtlurb for being a fan of the Losers!;)

I'm not a Leafs fan because I'm a Montrealer (I wouldn't be opposed to going to Leafs games if, say, I lived in Toronto and everyone at work went and had free tickets for me ;)). But I've got Toronto fans (and Liberals!) on both sides of my family. (I just happened to be born into the branch that were Habs fans and Conservatives) Needless to say they never want to talk about hockey or politics these days!