Aller au contenu
publicité

REM (ligne A) - Discussion générale

Messages recommendés

il y a 33 minutes, lma13 a dit :

I was working on a major project in montreal and we had significant delays due to labor shortages. We couldnt even get additional workers from ontario because of the rules and laws here.

Sorry to tell that but it's protectionism when workers from others provinces cannot work in Quebec.  I just pass on Pie-IX yesterday nobody  there , except maybe 2 guyS working and another one in a loader. 

At that pace Pie-IX will be done in 2030. 

publicité
1 hour ago, lma13 said:

I was working on a major project in montreal and we had significant delays due to labor shortages. We couldnt even get additional workers from ontario because of the rules and laws here.

You hit the nail on the head. I had a safety formation given by the CSN and let's just say that I did not feel comfortable at all with some of what I heard. I might have become a construction worker had things been different. I'm of the opinion that structural changes are required. Syndicates do have their reasons to exist, but right now, I think that they have too much power and are getting in the way of sound market economics. In particular, the provisions that restrict construction workers to a specific set of jobs regardless of their knowledge or experience need to be revisited. Expanding your repertoire of knowledge is, in most professions, a good way to increase your widen your job opportunities. Having more flexibility would mean that the industry could complete the same job with less workers and in less time. It would make the entire industry far more efficient then it is right now, but big syndicates are strongly opposed to this.

il y a une heure, trainsforever8 a dit :

This is the most underwhelming chime I have ever heard..

C'est vrai. Ils auraient pu choisir une sonorité distinctive comme celle du métro de Montréal actuel. Mais pour le reste, wow! J'adore voir les portes palières s'ouvrir en même temps que les portes du train!! Trop cool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, champdemars said:

C'est vrai. Ils auraient pu choisir une sonorité distinctive comme celle du métro de Montréal actuel. Mais pour le reste, wow! J'adore voir les portes palières s'ouvrir en même temps que les portes du train!! Trop cool.

J'aurai préféré qu'ils utilisent la même que le métro de Montréal. On est habitué à cette série de notes.

2 hours ago, jesseps said:

I was thinking the same thing. More workers, things should go faster. True more hands, means more money to pay out, but I think that is better, compared to having less hands on deck. With less hands on deck, things take more time and inflation kicks in for material.

Where would be get the workers from, in significant numbers?  Workers may only come from within Canada as there are no free movement of people with NAFTA / USMCA. 

1 hour ago, champdemars said:

Je pense aussi que les notes auraient pu être légèrement plus hautes

1 hour ago, danny12345 said:

Where would be get the workers from, in significant numbers?  Workers may only come from within Canada as there are no free movement of people with NAFTA / USMCA. 

Two options: China or North Korea, but no one wants to have slave labour.

The province and construction industry, will need to find a way to get people to go into construction versus other sectors, or as you put it, pull talent from other provinces. 

52 minutes ago, jesseps said:

Two options: China or North Korea, but no one wants to have slave labour.

The province and construction industry, will need to find a way to get people to go into construction versus other sectors, or as you put it, pull talent from other provinces. 

Canada Line, la CDPQ (via consortia) avait fait une demande pour du personnel d'Amérique du Sud pour que ça coûte moins cher, à l'instar de l'agriculture.

• Thanks 1

Skilled labour shortages occur  not  only because of the construction industry's  oligopolistic controls. It  happens when the taxation, language  and immigration  laws are unwelcoming to new entrants. Quebec has the lowest birth date in Canada, meaning that to avoid shortages of labour, there needs to be at least double the current number of annual  immigrants -- but policy has been to cut immigration  by 30%, because it is thought that is good for voters. Go figure why construction projects take so much longer to build. In the 1960s when Place Victoria was under construction, two storeys  per   week was achieved.

• Like 2