Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

The $7 a day daycare system is a drain on resources. I am willing to bet that the lost income of a few stay-at-home parents is not nearly enough to cover the expenses of this social program with all its waste and excess.

I personally know of people who live in Westmount (above Sherbrooke) who put their kids in $7/day daycare (proof that the system is a joke). Could they afford a more expensive private daycare? Could they afford to have one parent stay-at-home?. But they choose to suck money out of the system.

Besides, wouldn't almost everyone prefer to raise their own children themselves?? I find it very sad that people are so willing to let a complete stranger take care of their newborns/babies for most of the day. Yet people who choose to raise their own kids (something which should be promoted) do not get any financial help.

(don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying that women should stay home their whole lives. I didn't mention any gender (either mother or father staying home - doesn't really matter), and second, I think it is most important for parents to stay home until their kids start pre-school).

I was talking about people getting financial aid to stay at home compare to people working and getting a subsidized place in a daycare, not about if the whole program is worth it. It might be too expansive for what we can affort (unless, like Lucien Bouchard said, we choose to work more), but if it help get the birthrate up and people to gain more revenues by working more, it might not be that bad.

As for the couple in Westmount, maybe the rates of daycare should depend on the revenues of the parents. On the other hand, that couple (assuming a higher revenue then most) is paying more taxes. Isn't that fair that they get to enjoy what they are basically paying for? And if the 2 parents are still working (assuming at good salaries) they are paying more taxes that they would pay if one parent stayed at home.

• 4 semaines plus tard...

Hi! Does any of you live in or around the Quartier Concordia? If so, have you heard the person (or people) who scream every night as if their lives were just destroyed by an insanely unfortunate event? It sounds like one of those movie scenes where someone gets on their knees, looks up, and screams in desperation while the camera zooms out from above. It sounds very very real though. Every scream is more than 5 seconds long and they do it a couple of times. I have heard drunk people yell around and this is not it. This happens every night and didn't happen anywhere else during the time I have lived in Montreal.

At first it was annoying. Then it was normal. Now I'm curious.

C'est drôle mais le Quartier Concordia tel que construit présentement ne ressemble en rien aux images postées originalement en 2007. Le pavage n'a pas été refait devant le Sir George William & la Bibliothèque, et le coin Guy-Maisonneuve n'est pas aussi large que sur les rendus originaux. De plus, sur les trottoirs on a utilisé un pavage en petites briques et non les larges dalles comme au Quartier International et je n'ai vu aucun des luminaires de style ''torche'' comme sur les rendus. C'est vraiment dommage! On a coupé le budget en cours de route? Ça avait l'air beaucoup plus convivial sur les rendus originaux!

• 4 semaines plus tard...

This could very well end up being a viable candidate for MTLURB's 2011 Renovation of the Year.

Construction begins in Guy-Metro Building

Posted on January 26, 2011 | by: Shelagh Peden

A major renovation project to overhaul Concordia's Guy-Metro (GM) Building begins January 31 with renovations to one side of the lobby.

During the first phase, expected to last until February 15, there will be no access to and from the GM Building via the Engineering, Computer Science and Visual Arts Integrated Complex (EV). Access to the GM building via the main entrance, 1550 De Maisonneuve Blvd.W., is unaffected until the second phase. The loading bay and elevator to the parking and Metro levels remain unaffected in both phases.

The second phase, from February 16 to 28, will see the other side of the lobby renovated. During this period, the main entrance on De Maisonneuve Blvd.W. will be closed. The EV Building access will be re-opened and serve as the entrance to the GM building. Construction will continue until April 4 with work on the lobby ceiling, during which time access to the building through both the main entrance and the EV Building will be restored.

The security desk will remain in the lobby throughout the renovations, though between phases, it will be shifted from one side of the lobby to the other to accommodate the work.

The renovations to the lobby are part of a larger project to overhaul the entire building that was built at the same time as the Montreal metro system in 1965-66.

Funded by the Ministère de l’Education, du Loisir et du Sport’s Plan quinquennal d’investissements universitaires, the overall $14-million project will increase the building’s energy efficiency, renew the infrastructure and improve the heating/cooling system.

The project, slated for completion in October of this year, also includes a new exterior that provides better insulation against the elements, a new roof and refurbished elevator cabins. When the building's exterior is replaced, it will be visually integrated with its neighbours, the EV and John Molson buildings, in the heart of Quartier Concordia.

An in-depth look at the entire GM Building project is coming soon. Watch NOW for updates.

http://now.concordia.ca/campus-life/concordia-community/20110126/major-construction-begins-in-guy-metro-building.php

Modifié par MTLskyline