Aller au contenu
publicité

Expos de Montréal

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

"il se propose d'ailleurs d'assister au prochain match des Étoiles, à Cincinnati, en juillet." - en quoi est-ce de la représentation? Si c'est son projet de croissance personnelle d'assister à du baseball dans ses temps libres, et bien qu'il y aille, mais ce serait scandaleux de faire passer son vol, son hotel, sa town car et son souper chez Nobu sur le compte de dépense de la ville.

publicité
"il se propose d'ailleurs d'assister au prochain match des Étoiles, à Cincinnati, en juillet." - en quoi est-ce de la représentation? Si c'est son projet de croissance personnelle d'assister à du baseball dans ses temps libres, et bien qu'il y aille, mais ce serait scandaleux de faire passer son vol, son hotel, sa town car et son souper chez Nobu sur le compte de dépense de la ville.

Je parlais de son voyage à NY chez le commissaire. relaxe.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-bell-among-group-of-investors-interested-in-bringing-mlb-team-to-montreal-1.127919

Stephen Bronfman, ex-shareholder of the Montreal Expos, as well as multi-millionaires Larry Rossy, CEO of Dollarama, and Mitch Garber, would also be involved. Canadian communication company Bell is also reportedly interested in joining forces to get professional baseball back in Montreal.

thanks. i was aware of this...but without Bell, this is just a pipe dream! Let's hope Bell is really serious!

thanks. i was aware of this...but without Bell, this is just a pipe dream! Let's hope Bell is really serious!

Well they have a few billion$ waiting in their chest.....:P

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/bob-duff-rob-manfred-views-montreals-loss-of-baseball-as-a-tragedy

Bob Duff: Rob Manfred views Montreal’s baseball loss as a tragedy

Rob Manfred, baseball fan, thinks it’s wrong that there’s no longer a major league baseball team in Montreal.

“I think it is always a tragedy when a city loses major league baseball,” Manfred said.

Rob Manfred, commissioner of major league baseball, realizes that finding a way to rectify the situation isn’t going to be an easy or quick fix.

“I’m hopeful that someday there’s an opportunity for Montreal to again have a franchise,” Manfred said.

In Detroit Tuesday at Comerica Park, Manfred, who in January succeeded Bud Selig as MLB commissioner, talked about a wide range of topics, but Montreal was among the first he opted to address.

An engaging sort who comes across as more genuine and accessible than his predecessor, Manfred understands Montreal’s baseball legacy.

“It has a great baseball history,” Manfred said, pointing to the lore of the minor-league Montreal Royals, who preceded the Expos in the city for decades.

It was with the Royals that Jackie Robinson first broke baseball’s colour barrier in 1946.

“Probably one of the most important moments in baseball history,” Manfred described Robinson’s arrival.

Long a AAA affiliate of the Dodgers – first in Brooklyn and later in Los Angeles – the Royals saw such big league greats as Walter Alston, Roberto Clemente, Roy Campanella, Don Newcombe, Duke Snider and Tommy LaSorda come through town en route to the show.

“I think sometimes people lose track of that fact because of the departure of the Expos and the events surrounding that departure,” Manfred said. “But it really does have a long and rich baseball history.”

Canada’s first major league team, the Expos played in Montreal from 1969-2004, relocating to Washington and becoming the Nationals beginning with the 2005 season. New York Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon and Toronto Blue Jays infielder Maicer Izturis are the only former Expos currently remaining on major league baseball rosters.

It’s likely both will be long gone for the big leagues if and when Montreal makes a return.

If Montreal were to regain a franchise, it would likely be an expansion team, just as the Expos were in 1969.

Manfred clearly has no appetite for relocating teams.

“I think of our franchises as civic assets,” Manfred said. “I think they’re really important to the communities in which they exist. It’s why we have shown – I believe – unbelievable loyalty to the communities where we play.”

He emphasized this in describing Oakland’s never-ending stadium saga. The A’s play in an outdated facility that first opened in 1968, one year before the Expos debuted.

“I think we can all agree that Oakland needs a new major-league facility,” Manfred said. “By the same token, I do think it’s important that major league baseball do everything it can to help Oakland get a new facility in Oakland as the first choice.”

Manfred met recently with Montreal mayor Denis Coderre to discuss the potential for the city’s return to the majors.

“I had a nice meeting with the mayor last week and I’m going to continue that dialogue with him,” was all Manfred would say about their talks.

“I think it is important for a sport to have cities that would like to have franchises. I hope our sport will grow.

“Obviously in order to grow we’re going to need places, cities that have a demographic makeup that could support major-league baseball and I think Montreal is that sort of a city.”

Regardless, it could be several seasons before MLB expansion talk becomes reality.

So while Montreal is on major league baseball’s radar, the city remains years away from once again being on the major league baseball map.

bduff@windsorstar.com

twitter.com/@asktheduffer

Nice to see a commissionner who's open to seeing MLB return to MTL. Along with finding an owner with VERY deep pockets, I believe the best way the Expos could ever survive in Montreal would be to be in the American League East, where they would play the Blue Jays, Red Sox and Yankees at least 10-12 times per year.

I believe the best way the Expos could ever survive in Montreal would be to be in the American League East, where they would play the Blue Jays, Red Sox and Yankees at least 10-12 times per year.

Agree. That's a must.