Aller au contenu
publicité

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

Ah oui! Des lignes qui transportent des centaines de milliers de passagers par jour! RER-A à ~1,2 millions même! Il n'y a absolument aucun besoin de cela ici, même dans les rêves les plus fous du railfan le plus optimiste.

publicité

I think 100 m trainsets and platforms would have been ideal for REM-A, with capacity upgrades somewhere down the road by using double-deck EMUs similar to RER’s 2Ns or Sydney’s A/B sets. I’m not a fan of using a light metro type on a regional service, but for now its capacity is adequate.

The trouble with the REM-B proposal — apart from all the other questionable decisions — is the lack of compatibility with REM-A. Even if the rolling stock at launch uses the same sets as A running in single two-car units, if REM-A ever upgrades down the road to a more RER-style train, it won’t be usable on B.

6 minutes ago, SameGuy said:

I think 100 m trainsets and platforms would have been ideal for REM-A, with capacity upgrades somewhere down the road by using double-deck EMUs similar to RER’s 2Ns or Sydney’s A/B sets. I’m not a fan of using a light metro type on a regional service, but for now its capacity is adequate.

The trouble with the REM-B proposal — apart from all the other questionable decisions — is the lack of compatibility with REM-A. Even if the rolling stock at launch uses the same sets as A running in single two-car units, if REM-A ever upgrades down the road to a more RER-style train, it won’t be usable on B.

OCD is all it is.  There's no projections ever going to that kind of level of service.  Heck people are saying with teleworking transit projects should be scrapped.

The blue and yellow lines were overbuilt and will have lousy frequencies because of that unless they're automated and with shorter trains.

Just now, p_xavier said:

OCD is all it is.  There's no projections ever going to that kind of level of service.  Heck people are saying with teleworking transit projects should be scrapped.

I don’t disagree with that at all. IMO the capacity on A will be adequate (as long as they don’t try to squeeze more branches into it). They can go to 90-second headways at some point if needed, and if really necessary in the future (when all the TODs are developed in the West Island), the airport branch could be converted to a shuttle with a fairly straightforward changes at BF, allowing higher frequencies on the Anse and DM branches.

But I also believe CDPQi was fairly conservative in its ridership estimates for A, which is why I’m puzzled by the limitations presented for B.

2 minutes ago, SameGuy said:

I don’t disagree with that at all. IMO the capacity on A will be adequate (as long as they don’t try to squeeze more branches into it). They can go to 90-second headways at some point if needed, and if really necessary in the future (when all the TODs are developed in the West Island), the airport branch could be converted to a shuttle with a fairly straightforward changes at BF, allowing higher frequencies on the Anse and DM branches.

But I also believe CDPQi was fairly conservative in its ridership estimates for A, which is why I’m puzzled by the limitations presented for B.

Should be 72s as per specs.  Blue line extension stations were initially stated to be 101m long but since there are issues with trains being shortened and older components not being available, they will be full length.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, p_xavier said:

Should be 72s as per specs.  Blue line extension stations were initially stated to be 101m long but since there are issues with trains being shortened and older components not being available, they will be full length.

72 seconds for REM-A, even better! Yes, that was my understanding about the Blue extension, and I’m interested that you’re confirming the new stations will be full-length — suggesting that the CBTC project will be extended to use of the MPM-10 on the line. I look forward to whatever future info you’ll be permitted to divulge to us. 🙂

19 minutes ago, SameGuy said:

72 seconds for REM-A, even better! Yes, that was my understanding about the Blue extension, and I’m interested that you’re confirming the new stations will be full-length — suggesting that the CBTC project will be extended to use of the MPM-10 on the line. I look forward to whatever future info you’ll be permitted to divulge to us. 🙂

All from the official plans that were in the media. Not implying anything here.

• Like 1

Il y a 2 heures, SameGuy a dit :

Ce qui serait incompatible avec les façades de quai installées, et avec les intervalles possibles de 72 ou même 90 secondes.

Ce qu'on observe partout dans le monde, c'est soit un métro (une boîte à sardines) à haute fréquence, soit un train confortable mais avec des intervalles de plus de deux minutes.

Il y a 2 heures, p_xavier a dit :

The blue and yellow lines were overbuilt and will have lousy frequencies because of that unless they're automated and with shorter trains.

Oui, ça n'a pas de bon sens de mettre des trains longs sur ces lignes, alors que des plus courts et plus fréquents offraient un meilleur service (y compris avec un flux plus régulier des voyageurs qui transfèrent sur les deux autres lignes). Mais pour ça il faut revoir la signalisation et/ou la règle qui dit qu'un train ne peut pas démarrer tant que la station suivante n'est pas libre.

Il y a 2 heures, SameGuy a dit :

Ah oui! Des lignes qui transportent des centaines de milliers de passagers par jour! RER-A à ~1,2 millions même! Il n'y a absolument aucun besoin de cela ici, même dans les rêves les plus fous du railfan le plus optimiste.

Pourtant le trafic sur la ligne orange est loin d'être négligeable et sa capacité va être augmentée à environ 30 000 pphd. Ça paraissait sûrement ambitieux à l'époque.