publicité

Messages recommendés

publicité
  • Réponses 698
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

but that's not ever gonna happen, ever.

I don't know a city of the size of montreal without a traffic problem.

You want me to give you one?

You know which one I'm talking about.

The one where 80% of all transportation is made by mass transit

:)

Which one?

Hong Kong. I was teasing Malek because he knows it's my reference for TOD and effective mass transit.

Actually, we were in Tokyo last summer and couldn't really see heavy traffic either, during peak hours and we were right in the business district. But I wouldn't make a statement for Tokyo based on one visit. I know for Hong Kong that there's more traffic in Ottawa in peak hours than Hong Kong. There's just 300,000 cars in Hong Kong for roughly 7 millions of population. Less than in the greater Montreal area.

Hong Kong. I was teasing Malek because he knows it's my reference for TOD and effective mass transit.

Actually, we were in Tokyo last summer and couldn't really see heavy traffic either, during peak hours and we were right in the business district. But I wouldn't make a statement for Tokyo based on one visit. I know for Hong Kong that there's more traffic in Ottawa in peak hours than Hong Kong. There's just 300,000 cars in Hong Kong for roughly 7 millions of population. Less than in the greater Montreal area.

Then I definitely need to learn more about Hong Kong and Tokyo!

Of course, 50+% of people in Honk Kong live in "HLM", so yeah, a car is out of the question. Plus their tolerance in being squashed and crammed is way higher than almost anywhere else in the world.

Tokyo has massive congestion, being in central tokyo may not be the best way to witness this.

If you are in the center of montreal, during rush hour, its rarely congested, its the highway, bridges and thoroughfare that are. Of course when there's construction or idiocies like useless street closures, then yes it gets jammed in the center too.

Of course, 50+% of people in Honk Kong live in "HLM", so yeah, a car is out of the question. Plus their tolerance in being squashed and crammed is way higher than almost anywhere else in the world.

Tokyo has massive congestion, being in central tokyo may not be the best way to witness this.

If you are in the center of montreal, during rush hour, its rarely congested, its the highway, bridges and thoroughfare that are. Of course when there's construction or idiocies like useless street closures, then yes it gets jammed in the center too.

The point was that you were saying there was no instances of cities with no congestion. That is bunk. And was debunked...

You point speaks pricesely why building more highways is rarely a good solution.

The principal reasons why people are not buying cars in Hong Kong is transit oriented development and the huge amount of taxes added to the price of cars. For luxury cars, those taxes can be very high. On the other hand, they have a flat 15-16% income tax. And they have tolls on their highways...

This is economically and socially very efficient. I sure wish we'd get more of this over here.

I'd also be willing to bet that proportionally, Tokyo (the largest metropolitan area in the world at 35 millions people) has less traffic than Montreal or Toronto.