Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 396
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

A mon avis c'est le projet le plus original et le plus prometteur sur le plan du design. On a déjà toute une génération de beaux édifices en construction au centre-ville, qui font partie d'un boum de qualité pour la plupart. Mais ici on se dépasse et je voudrais bien que ce complexe se matérialise vraiment. Ce n'est pas le plus haut, mais je pense que c'est le plus beau et le plus achevé de tous.

Vite amener les grues, on ne peut plus attendre :hyper:

Answer the question. Where is the demand going to come from to support this, YUL condos, Roccabella phase 2, projet Ogilvy's? L'Avenue is only 70% pct sold in what is the most defining building in downtown Montreal since 1000 de la Gauchetiere.

So rather than getting all b*tchy, answer the question

Keep the fighting down.

The answer to your question is this: The OD Surveys and demographic data show a deceleration in the growth of the suburbs and an acceleration of the growth of the city core. To put it simply, there is renewed interest in dense urban living. The paradigm is shifting, and it isn't just occurring in Montreal. The phenomenon is worldwide. At the CMA level, the PMAD has created measures to encourage density and TOD. The demand is coming from people who are making personal choices to live closer to the action and to avoid lengthy commutes. A portion of the demand also stems from population growth. It's really that simple. Let's keep in mind that when a project like this goes up, it's 330 new units. That sounds like a lot, but at the CMA level, it's really not. We're talking approximately 500 new residents out of a population of nearly 4 million. Consider that the CMA alone grows by ~40,000 residents annually, and that migration patterns demonstrate a slow but measurable return to the city.

So yeah, I'm quite confident that most of these projects will succeed. Some will inevitably fail, but that's just the reality of economics/marketing.

Modifié par Cataclaw

Good points Cataclaw. But a project like Babylone is going to need to attract a crowd willing to pay $600-750 sq foot + huge condos fees per month. I look at myself and my wife, we make very decent incomes and we can't afford to live in a project like this (although we would love to) - and hope to save money or hope to make a return on investment especially if mortgage rates go up.

So far, based on the data we've seen, condo sales have been tough in these kinds of projects. Many in the real estate markets are even saying condo demand downtown Montreal is "dead". Just quoting the feedback...

I do think the luxury market specifically is well supplied at the moment, and as such I don't foresee too many more massive luxury projects popping up in the short term. Overall, development will continue, but the luxury end might slow down I'll give you that. The city needs to review their zoning policies to allow for more construction so that supply can catch up to demand and bring prices down. (Affordable housing reform wouldn't hurt too. We need to address the high rents, which are caused by gentrification and the stagnation in the rental housing stock).

Regardless of what happens, it seems that demand for city living will remain strong and the only thing that can slow it down is a new major recession. Also, gas prices are very high right now and they don't seem poised to fall any time soon. They might even hit $1.60 and beyond. The shale industry needs oil at $100/bbl to be profitable, Saudia Arabia needs oil to be at $100/bbl to balance their budget, and it looks like the U.S. will enter into the Syrian conflict. High gas prices correlate strongly with demand for urban housing. Even if consumption falls and reduced demand for oil brings down the price of crude, prices will quickly rebound. At under ~$80/bbl producers of unconventional oil are unable to turn a profit and will be forced to scale back on their operations, in turn reducing supply and causing a new equilibrium to form at about the same price we have now. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. High gas prices are here to stay, but on the bright side it's partly responsible for this lovely skyscraper boom :)

Modifié par Cataclaw
  • Like 1