Aller au contenu

Raccordement du boulevard Cavendish

jesseps

Messages recommendés

CSL town hall on Cavendish link June 5

• By Joel Goldenberg   The Suburban  

May 31, 2017

A first-ever town hall meeting on the long-awaited Cavendish Blvd. link between Côte St. Luc and St. Laurent is taking place 7:30 p.m. Monday, June 5 at Côte St. Luc city hall, 5801 Cavendish Blvd.

The meeting is being organized by District 2 Councillor Mike Cohen and the guest speaker on that topic will be traffic expert Rick Leckner.

“Leckner has been pushing for the Cavendish extension as far back as his days as the helicopter traffic reporter for CJAD from 1969 to 2000,” Cohen stated on his blog. “In 2011, he was named to Transport Québec’s comité technique sur la mobilité des biens et des personnes, and has continued to work with officials in an attempt to mitigate traffic congestion.”

The councillor added that Mayor Mitchell Brownstein will provide an update on the Cavendish extension, “which is more of a reality now than ever before with all three levels of government behind the project.

“Elisabeth Prass, from the office of D’Arcy McGee MNA David Birnbaum, will do the same.”

Brownstein stated that while nothing in politics is a certainty, the prospects for the link look “very promising.

“We have active support from Mayor Denis Coderre in Montreal, including the project being listed in the three-year capital expenditures budget and reserves being placed on plots of land needed for the eventual extension, as well as $222,000 being presently spent by the agglomeration of Montreal for the studies on the overpass/underpass route.

“We also have local MNA David Birnbaum and Mount Royal MP Anthony Housefather working behind the scenes in Quebec City and Ottawa to secure the necessary funding, and mayors from neighbouring communities are all in support.”

Another guest speaker will be Lt. Frederick Jennings from Police Station 9, who will respond to local public safety concerns. Other topics will include the “new traffic light configuration at Cavendish and Kildare, the new Elie Wiesel Park, construction on Marc Chagall Avenue, the resurfacing of the City Hall/Library parking lot and other items of interest.”

For more information on the meeting, call 514-485-6945 or e-mail mcohen@cotesaintluc.org

http://www.thesuburban.com/news/city_news/csl-town-hall-on-cavendish-link-june/article_f8ecaf4f-93f4-57dc-b627-13f2b5855d96.html

I do hope some good news comes out of the town hall.

This really needs to happen. That 1 km extension can probably save a bit of time. Yes more cars will be going down Cavendish to try and bypass traffic on the Decarie, but it is much needed.

Il ne s'agit pas ici de créer de la place pour plus de voiture, mais bien de désenclaver deux secteurs importants de la ville. À terme ça permettra beaucoup d'échange entre ces deux quartiers. Ça facilitera le transport en commun entre Saint-Laurent et NDG, et ça délestera l'autoroute Décarie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this project!  It is so quintessentially Montreal!  Why worry about construction detours when you can build a main artery extension with a detour already in place!?  One that will SURELY cause traffic chaos.

Can you feel the sarcasm?  I mean what kind of idiocy is this proposal? Are you kidding me?  I'm hoping this was one dated from the 80's....

cavendish-extension.jpg

Modifié par SKYMTL
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Il y a 5 heures, SKYMTL a dit :

I mean what kind of idiocy is this proposal? I'm hoping this was one dated from the 80's....

cavendish-extension.jpg

This is an image provided to The Gazette by its author Robert Libman, Côte St Luc's golden boy. 

It's actually from 2004, around the last time that this person has held any kind of official capacity.

• Like 1

Il y a 6 heures, SKYMTL a dit :

I love this project!  It is so quintessentially Montreal!  Why worry about construction detours when you can build a main artery extension with a detour already in place!?  One that will SURELY cause traffic chaos.

My understanding is that this is DONE ON PURPOSE, enabling politicians to pretend in one stroke that :

1) It will ease traffic*; and 2) it will minimize traffic**.

(in detail: * it would  primarily ease traffic between TMR's industrial park and locations to the west, as well as enable a low capacity link between CSL and VSL; and ** it would minimize traffic between the two sections of Cavendish, so as not to transform this boulevard as a major north-south artery).

Under such a «plan», I would advise to change the name of one of the two (currently separate) sections of Cavendish, in order to dispel perceptions that there really is a major artery --because it would not be.

This (long) Cavendish saga reminds me of another one --the A-25 extension (more precisely: closing the gap between two sections, involving the building of a bridge over the rivière des Prairies). Laval and North Shore municipalities wanted it; the City of Montreal opposed it.  In the end, the Quebec government imposed it, but with a twist or two: a toll bridge, and a merging wth A-440 that entailed, in both directions, a single remaining lane for A-25 through traffic.  As a result, average daily traffic on the bridge is a paltry 35,000, a mere one fifth of the A-15 bridge (and one fourth of the A-13's).  And to make matters worse, the are recurrent afternoon traffic jams on the A-440 heading east (and on the one-lane A25) at the merge.  Clearly, this project did not provide a significant relief to the A-15 and A-13, despite the important nominal capacity of the bridge. Montreal and Laval/North Shore each got an half full glass.

Bon, c'est beau le cynisme. Dans le contrat de la ville avec le gouvernement on a 6 ans max pour commencer à vendre les terrains pour construire à Blue Bonnets. Ils vont pas se mettre à construire sans routes quand même... et si tu arranges les routes, me semble que désenclaver vers VSL et CSL c'est une suite logique.