Aller au contenu

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

I wrote this as a comment to the story on the Gazette website, and I am reposting it here:

I do not see this situation the same way the article sees it. I see it quite differently. In fact, I see it as true to form for most Toronto-based/English Canadian entities and events. Many Toronto-based entities try to make whatever their doing to be Toronto-centric. It is the largest city in Canada, so what do you expect. However, whenever being Toronto-centric fails, or is seen as no longer practical for the success of the entity or event, the entity or event suddenly becomes inclusive to other parts of Canada. For example, for years Hockey Night in Canada was accused of being Toronto-centric, but in the last few seasons the Leafs have faltered while the Canadiens have improved, thereby forcing CBC to show more Canadiens games. Also, Scotiabank Nuit Blanche in Toronto normally showcases many Quebecois artists. Even Canada Day celebrations become this inclusive affair to showcase First Nations and Quebecois culture because of a lack, or minimal existence of English Canadian culture. So as to not seem like Canada is a country without culture or national identity, culture from Quebec is appropriated by Toronto-based/English Canadian entities to fill voids on their end, so they don't look foolish. Another example are the Toronto Raptors, who after 15 years of existence, have only now decided to play a game in Montreal, now that it is clear to everyone that they are the NBA's version of the Expos; NOW they want to be 'Canada's Team'. However, ask yourselves one question: Would TIFF give a damn about showcasing Quebecois film makers if they they had enough Toronto-based film makers to showcase? Probably not. So TIFF's inclusion of Quebecois films, just like the increased showing of the Habs on CBC, the Raptors sudden realization of a world outside the GTA and the "song-dance" of Natives & Quebecois musical acts on Parliament Hill on Canada Day is more symbolic of a lack or minimal existence of Toronto-based/English Canadian culture to show, than it is about taking a swipe at Montreal/Quebec culture.

One more note: I'm part of a national organization based in the U.S. that represents a specific cultural group that was having a convention in Toronto early in 2010. For the 1-2 years leading up to the event, the convention planning committee would meet in Toronto to organize the event. They made their whole promotional effort all about advertising to Toronto professionals, Toronto schools, Toronto organizations, ETC.... However, in late 2009, they weren't making as much as an impact in Toronto as they thought they would have in terms of registrations. So all of a sudden, they started to try to promote to cities like Montreal, Ottawa and other parts of Canada. This was AFTER the fact. AFTER the Toronto-centric approach didn't work. As a result of wasting their advertising dollars hitting a wall in Toronto, they had very little left to promote to other parts of Canada. The event was still a big success, but it could have made a much bigger statement had this Toronto-based planning group planned big from the start. Only out of desperation and not wanting to see the event flop, did they shift from being Toronto-centric to nationally minded.

TIFF's inclusion of Quebecois film makers is true to form for Toronto-based entities. They were just trying to avoid the embarrassment of not having a lot of Canadian-based films to show the world at what is becoming a top-notch film festival event. Imagine the egg on the faces of the leaders of TIFF as the world media asks 'why aren't there a lot of Canadian films featured?" That's what TIFF is trying to avoid. It's just about optics,not about trying to diss Montreal.

P.S. I'm an English Canadian living in Toronto. Just in case I get labelled as Quebec separatist for my comments by "anonymous" commentators.

• Réponses 120
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Je vois pas ou est le problème, le TIFF et le FFM sont deux bêtes différentes, le premier essai d'aller chercher les derniers films hollywoodien, tandis que l'autre est exclusivement répertoire.

Si y a pas de films québécois qui fitent le moule du FFM, et ben tant pis. C'est pas un festival du film québecois, c'est un festival du film du Monde.

C'est pas un festival du film québecois, c'est un festival du film du Monde.

Je suis d'accord. J'ajouterai que les Québécois n'ont pas besoin de la vitrine qu'offre un festival de films pour aller voir des films québécois.

Tant mieux si le TIFF propose des films québécois. C'est une fenêtre formidable pour notre cinéma. C'est marrant : j'ai l'impression que certains chiâlent pour chiâler. On serait mécontent s'il n'y avait pas (ou peu) de films québécois au festival torontois et là on chiâlent parce qu'il y en a !!

• 2 semaines plus tard...
Tant mieux si le TIFF propose des films québécois. C'est une fenêtre formidable pour notre cinéma. C'est marrant : j'ai l'impression que certains chiâlent pour chiâler. On serait mécontent s'il n'y avait pas (ou peu) de films québécois au festival torontois et là on chiâlent parce qu'il y en a !!

Tu as entièrement raison! Les gens aiment chialer pour rien des fois!

I am currently in Toronto. So far so good. Other than one of the metro stations were on fire or something.

I got a nice view of the CN tower and Union Station. Plus I see Porter going in and out of the city.

I still like Montreal (I am biased), seeing I know where everything is.

45212_461001198383_503418383_6412749_876898_n.jpg

I saw one part of Toronto, most tourists would hardly see. I am not sure what part of Toronto its called. All I know its Rogers and Westmount (I was with a friend looking at a house for rent).

Coming into the city, some of the condos reminded me of Miami.

I also had a chance to check out... The Distillery District. Its quite nice. It just sucks, that is quite small and about a 20 min walk from downtown.

Modifié par jesseps

I also had a chance to check out... The Distillery District. Its quite nice. It just sucks, that is quite small and about a 20 min walk from downtown.

Je me souviens d'avoir visité cet endroit l'an passé et j'ai été très déçu. Pas parce qu'il est loin du Centre-ville mais plutot parce qu'il est isolé, parce qu'il est trop ''propre'' dans le sens d'aseptisé et qu'ils ont trop forcé la note, c'est à dire que c'est beaucoup trop évident qu'ils voulaient faire quelque chose du genre. Un peu comme ''Atlantic Station'' à Atlanta qui est beaucoup plus gros mais on peut facilement sentire le ''corporatisme'' derrière ces projets !!!

J'avais peur qu'on fasse la meme chose avec Griffintown.....

I'm actually currently in Toronto too, heading home this evening, and I've gotta say: this city has it going on.

For better or for worse, Toronto is doing its thing. It is clear that it stands alone as the premier metropolis, in the national context. Honestly, good for them. They are taking bold steps to create a dynamic city. Sure, the downtown core is empty at 6, but that's not where the action is anyways. They currently have the exhibition grounds open for their end of the summer festival, and that seems to be a big draw. The UofT campus is bustling with the prospect of another school year, and it has some terrific new architecture to compliment it's older buildings (this coming from a McGill student). I took a late-night bike ride along the harbor front, which is nicer than it was just two short years ago, when I was last here. People were enjoying a nice evening, playing baseball and soccer in the fully-lit park... at 11 p.m. People are friendly and courteous, and motorists don't try to intentionally run you over! Of course, Toronto has its share of problems, like many other North American cities, including our own, but I'm enchanted by this city (the parts that I've seen anyways) that seems to be striving forward. It also has a wonderful stock of residential buildings that hopefully won't be turned into condos, just yet.

Lastly, I'm seeing the Jays, this afternoon... and although I'm not cheering for them, it will be great to watch a ball game again for the first time since Nos Amours left town.

Montreal is great. But Toronto ain't bad, either.

I'm actually currently in Toronto too, heading home this evening, and I've gotta say: this city has it going on.

For better or for worse, Toronto is doing its thing. It is clear that it stands alone as the premier metropolis, in the national context. Honestly, good for them. They are taking bold steps to create a dynamic city. Sure, the downtown core is empty at 6, but that's not where the action is anyways. They currently have the exhibition grounds open for their end of the summer festival, and that seems to be a big draw. The UofT campus is bustling with the prospect of another school year, and it has some terrific new architecture to compliment it's older buildings (this coming from a McGill student). I took a late-night bike ride along the harbor front, which is nicer than it was just two short years ago, when I was last here. People were enjoying a nice evening, playing baseball and soccer in the fully-lit park... at 11 p.m. People are friendly and courteous, and motorists don't try to intentionally run you over! Of course, Toronto has its share of problems, like many other North American cities, including our own, but I'm enchanted by this city (the parts that I've seen anyways) that seems to be striving forward. It also has a wonderful stock of residential buildings that hopefully won't be turned into condos, just yet.

Lastly, I'm seeing the Jays, this afternoon... and although I'm not cheering for them, it will be great to watch a ball game again for the first time since Nos Amours left town.

Montreal is great. But Toronto ain't bad, either.

So far, PATH beats Montreal underground city hands down.

What I find interesting, no one j-walks in Toronto. Actually its not interesting. Its just bizarre.

I will try and go check out the ROM, UoT campus.

University Street seems pretty cool. I will try and check it out later. It reminded me of Park Ave in NY.

One thing thats great about Toronto. That their baseball stadium is downtown.

One more thing. Only expensive car I have seen, since I have been here is the Rolls Royce Ghost.

Modifié par jesseps