Aller au contenu

Place de la Cité Internationale, phase 2 (2007)

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

Saviez-vous qu'un grand nombre de gens qui travaillent pour la compagnie aerienne JetBlue aux E.U. travaillent à partir de chez eux. Lorsque toutes les ressources de la compagnie sont "in the cloud" et disponibles à partir de votre ordinateur chez vous ou à Tombouctou, et que les parents veulent être plus présents de leurs enfants, ce n'est pas difficile de constater qu'il n'y a plus besoin de construire de grandes tours pour regrouper tout le monde sous un même toit. Les grandes tours seront surtout des tours residentielles, et à part quelques excetptions, il n'y aura plus besoin de ces gratte-ciels à bureaux.

Saviez-vous qu'un grand nombre de gens qui travaillent pour la compagnie aerienne JetBlue aux E.U. travaillent à partir de chez eux. Lorsque toutes les ressources de la compagnie sont "in the cloud" et disponibles à partir de votre ordinateur chez vous ou à Tombouctou, et que les parents veulent être plus présents de leurs enfants, ce n'est pas difficile de constater qu'il n'y a plus besoin de construire de grandes tours pour regrouper tout le monde sous un même toit. Les grandes tours seront surtout des tours residentielles, et à part quelques excetptions, il n'y aura plus besoin de ces gratte-ciels à bureaux.

Sans vouloir provoquer...c'est toi qui dit ça?! :silly:;)

Ceci dit, je suis d'accord avec toi.

Comme on a déjà dit dans ce fil, si on souhaite de grosses tours, c'est peut-être vers les condos qu'il faut regarder!

Modifié par Gilbert

One of the key factors as to why Alcan likely chose this site is because the below-grade work was completed during the construction of Phase1 (parking garage etc...), so the building will be able to go up much quicker than any other development site.

And well said Russell!

Of course it was, but now that the design doesn't correlate with Urban Master plan, it has to be approved by city council. Had they chosen a design that was compliant, they could have started immediately. So the time advantage seems to have been mooted.

I fail to understand how a design like this can advance so far. RTA did not go their whatever non visionary architectural firm and say design a building that doesn't meet the current zoning laws, so why would a firm make such a proposal. Especially since they are not trying to push the limit, but rather are running away from it. Russel is absolutely right in his assessment of how RTA views this project: they have an operational need to meet, space, style, prestige etc. How those needs are met are not that important.

However, a building design that met zoning and met RTA internal requirements could not have significantly changed the cost. Especially when we consider that an internal requirement like Leed Platinum is a cost recovery model that factors in energy savings as well as marketability for the company and in employee recruitment.

To me, this is negligence or complacency the part of the architect. If it passes city council, it shows that we will take any investment regardless (i.e Magil Laurentienne). Either way, it's a shame.

Sans vouloir provoquer...c'est toi qui dit ça?! :silly:;)

Ceci dit, je suis d'accord avec toi.

Comme on a déjà dit dans ce fil, si on souhaite de grosses tours, c'est peut-être vers les condos qu'il faut regarder!

Oui et non - oui des projets mixte existe maintenant, c'est indéniable que c'est une nouvelle tendance.

Mais...

Des tours de bureau à vocation unique, demeure une réalité. Le cloud, le télétravail, etc.. Ce n’est pas demain qu’ils y auront un impact significatif sur le besoin d’espace bureau dans le centre-ville. Même Montréal va absorber presque 1 million de pi2 cette année.

<3 ans

The Bow - Calgary

Bay Adelaide West - Toronto

RBC Centre - Toronto

Eighth Avenue Place - Calgary

Bentall 5 - Vancouver

EPCOR Tower - Edmonton

USA

One Franklin - Boston

Great American Tower - Cincinnati !

Three PNC Plaza - Pittsburgh !!

+++

Le cloud, ça peux être utilisé pour des pme dans des bureaux aussi. J'ai plusieurs clients la dessus. Ça la bien sur des avantages et inconvénient, mais pour une petite PME, c'est surtout des avantages.

Mais le cloud, c'est plus ou moins un concept flou qu'on met beaucoup de truc dedans. C'est le truc à la mode. Mais ça fait des années que le télé-travail est possible via terminal server et cie et pourtant, les patrons veulent toujours qu'on rentre travailler !

Je pourrais tout faire ce que je fait de la maison ou presque et pourtant, je me rend au travail chaque jour!

Faut pas charrier non plus, s'il y a manque de grande tour à bureau au centre ville, c'est un mélange de la faiblesse de l'économie, un manque de multinational et une accessibilité restreinte.

Mtlrdp.... don't forget that this won't be built without a 10 to 20 year lease deal and who knows maybe Westcliff will sell the building outright to Rio Tinto.

Probably not, most companies try to reduce their real-estate portfolio as their shareholders do not see that as core to their business (one recent example is Imperial Tobacco who did a few months ago a sale-lease back of their HQ on St-Antoine) so westcliff will most probably keep the building in their portfolio, manage it and just get each month a nice fat check from RTA for the lease

16 étages ?

J'ai beaucoup de difficulté avec cette esquisse... Est-ce qu'ils ont exagérer la hauteur ?

J'ai l'impression qu'il y a un problème de proportions et de point de fuite...

Autour, nous voyons la tour BN (28 étages) (presque 2 fois la hauteur)

l'édifice ICAO, aux loin (17 étages) et on voit une portion de la tour de la bourse, j'ai l'impression que le dessin fit pas.

Et en plus avec la neige... bizarre.

Russell: I understand your argument and the reasons behind the decision to build the tower as is, but it remains a poor use of land no matter how you slice it.

If I were the mayor, I'd demand certain changes. Either fix your project (add a mixed-use residential component, for instance) or get out.

I'm really not fond of single-use projects that basically shut down after 5pm. To keep the downtown core lively, we need mixed use, mixed use, mixed use!

Wait a minute, are you saying that even if the development complies with the regulations and zoning by-laws, you would still stop the project and impose new rules a posteriori?

I hope not because this is exactly the same attitude as Heritage Montreal would have, just another in the other direction. This would be completely wrong IMHO.

I'm in total agreement that mixed-used should be de-facto for downtown. However, if it is to become a mandate, then it needs to be clearly spelled out in the zoning for each plot, not whenever the political or 3rd parties feel like it. Your lobbying should be with the city to change the rules globally, not after the fact.

Otherwise, this is a recipe for disaster and would make developers be even more cautious about building anything in Montreal.

No JCC, i'm saying If i were mayor, I would fight to have the zoning and the rules changed.

I wouldn't do it after the fact, although in this particular case I would deny the authorization to build on the grounds that the project does not respect the minimum height requirements.