Aller au contenu

REM (ligne A) - Discussion générale

Messages recommendés

il y a une heure, budgebandit a dit :

I don't think some of you realize how bad TEC service is in the suburbs...

The REM will still be a success if the size of the parking lots are reduced but it will be a much greater success if people can drop their kids off at school/daycare and then drive over to the station and find a parking spot. 

As @ToxiK said, the best bet is to build the parking lots now, giving us time to upgrade/adapt our services and infrastructure to make them less car-oriented, and then build TODs on that land in the future! 

Qu'il contruise les futures nouvelles ecoles et garderie pres des stations de REM. 

Comme ca on encourage les gens a utiliser encore plus le REM. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, andre md said:

Qu'il contruise les futures nouvelles ecoles et garderie pres des stations de REM. 

Comme ca on encourage les gens a utiliser encore plus le REM. 

It's a great idea but you can't just build new schools at every station and abandon the old ones ($$$). Like I said, it's a process that will take a significant amount of time. In the meantime, parking space is a must. 

• Like 2

il y a 5 minutes, budgebandit a dit :

It's a great idea but you can't just build new schools at every station and abandon the old ones ($$$). Like I said, it's a process that will take a significant amount of time. In the meantime, parking space is a must. 

Aren't the old schools crumbling and structurally dangerous anyways? 😉

Modifié par Decel

Il y a 4 heures, budgebandit a dit :

I don't think some of you realize how bad TEC service is in the suburbs...

The REM will still be a success if the size of the parking lots are reduced but it will be a much greater success if people can drop their kids off at school/daycare and then drive over to the station and find a parking spot. 

As @ToxiK said, the best bet is to build the parking lots now, giving us time to upgrade/adapt our services and infrastructure to make them less car-oriented, and then build TODs on that land in the future! 

It should be noted that bus service in the West Island will be oriented towards the REM and thus, much more efficient than it is now.

Once parkings are in place, it becomes politically difficult to remove them later.  I would rather begin with no (or very few) parking spots, coupled with an adequate bus service to the stations, and wait and see how demand evolves.  

Of course, some will respond something like well if that's the case, I will drive all the way downtown.  Really?  Wait till they realize how expensive downtown parking is/will become, + how much time they will spend in traffic, + the fact that the  parking spot they  find happens to be quite a good walking distance from their destination.  I would not be surprised if a good number (of those people), perhaps the majority, realize that driving is not the best option.  This is true for downtown destinations and a few others ; for most other destinations, and for multiple daily destinations across town, driving would generally remain preferable.  But in those cases, whether or not parking is available at the nearest REM station from home would be irrelevant  --so take them out of the equation, which is also to say that even with the best public transit system in the world,  there is/will still be a need for transportation in private cars (as you can see in Manhattan, Inner London or Paris intra-muros).

On the idea of building schools and daycare centers near REM stations:  OK if demand is sufficient, considering that not all households have children in the low ages,  and that among those households who do, not all of them (both parents) work downtown or in another area served by the REM.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Né entre les rapides said:

Once parkings are in place, it becomes politically difficult to remove them later.  I would rather begin with no (or very few) parking spots, coupled with an adequate bus service to the stations, and wait and see how demand evolves.  

Of course, some will respond something like well if that's the case, I will drive all the way downtown.  Really?  Wait till they realize how expensive downtown parking is/will become, + how much time they will spend in traffic, + the fact that the  parking spot they  find happens to be quite a good walking distance from their destination.  I would not be surprised if a good number (of those people), perhaps the majority, realize that driving is not the best option.  This is true for downtown destinations and a few others ; for most other destinations, and for multiple daily destinations across town, driving would generally remain preferable.  But in those cases, whether or not parking is available at the nearest REM station from home would be irrelevant  --so take them out of the equation, which is also to say that even with the best public transit system in the world,  there is/will still be a need for transportation in private cars (as you can see in Manhattan, Inner London or Paris intra-muros).

On the idea of building schools and daycare centers near REM stations:  OK if demand is sufficient, considering that not all households have children in the low ages,  and that among those households who do, not all of them (both parents) work downtown or in another area served by the REM.  

I think there should be ample parking either underground or multilevel above ground as part of any development around the REM stations.

• Like 1

Il y a 9 heures, SkahHigh a dit :

It should be noted that bus service in the West Island will be oriented towards the REM and thus, much more efficient than it is now.

En plus, les 300 bus supplémentaires commandés par la STM et ceux libérés car leur trajet sera redondant avec le trajet du REM permettront d'améliorer la fréquence sur l'ensemble du réseau. Si le bus passe au 12-15 minutes au lieu de chaque demie-heure, ça améliore l'attractivité du transport en commun en général, notamment pour se rendre aux stations du REM. 

• Like 2

il y a 9 minutes, begratto a dit :

En plus, les 300 bus supplémentaires commandés par la STM et ceux libérés car leur trajet sera redondant avec le trajet du REM permettront d'améliorer la fréquence sur l'ensemble du réseau. Si le bus passe au 12-15 minutes au lieu de chaque demie-heure, ça améliore l'attractivité du transport en commun en général, notamment pour se rendre aux stations du REM. 

Exact. Les durées de trajet vont grandement diminuer aussi. 

En ce moment, un résident de DDO (secteur Lakeroad) doit effectuer 33 minutes de trajet par autobus pour atteindre la station Côte-Vertu.

Avec le REM, ce trajet pourrait être coupé de moitié ou plus avec une ligne se rendant à la station Pointe-Claire en passant par Saint-Jean/Brunswick/Fairview. 

Il y a 9 heures, Né entre les rapides a dit :

Of course, some will respond something like well if that's the case, I will drive all the way downtown.  Really? 

Yes, really !  Why ?  Because people are already driving to downtown  If we want to change habits, we need ta make it easy to embrace those changes.  Parking downtown might be expensive but for a lot of car drivers, it is worth the comfort and freedom of being in a car instead than being in a bus or a train.  If we want car drivers to trade that comfort and freedom for public transit, we need to sweeten the deal, and permitting them easy parking neear a REM station instead of forcing them to take the bus and walk is a way to do so.

Il y a 9 heures, Né entre les rapides a dit :

Once parkings are in place, it becomes politically difficult to remove them later. 

If those parkings are full, it will be difficult to remove them, but then why remove them if they are needed?  If the parkings are empty or half empty, it would be much easier to remove them in full or in part.

• Like 1