Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

publicité

Hi Guys, first time writer here... I just wanted to comment on these towers, particularly the idea of a private hospital. While I'm pretty much of the opinion of most of the forumers (I want to see the Montreal skyline expand a lot!) I have a few concerns that a private hospital may not be the right way to go, and I'll explain why. I have no problem with private medicine (I work in healthcare btw) but a private hospital of this size would need to be supplied with doctors, nurses, staff, etc who would likely be paid (much) more than in the public system. Again, no problem with that if we had a surplus of doctors. But the truth is, we don't, and a private hospital like this will take many of the doctors, nurses away from the public system, which we all know is struggling as it is. Even if it's a "medical tourism"-type hospital for Americans, I'm sure we won't be seeing american doctors moving up here to work in it. (for one, they need to pass credentialing exams, the french proficiency and jump through the bureaucratic hoops that Quebec has for professionals)

The way I see it, the only way for this type of private facility, of this size, to work would be for us to recognize as a society that our public sector doctors and nurses are way underpaid, and that now that the court decision opening the door to private health is in effect, we need to place more value on the public system and those who ultimately choose to work in it, or it will fail. I don't know if you guys are aware of this fact, but Quebec has made it very easy for nurses from francophone countries to come practice in Quebec. (great idea!) The problem is a good proportion use this to learn English so they can move to the rest of canada or the US, where salaries are much better. Trust me, given the choice between working in our underfunded public system as it is, or a private hospital with better salaries and better conditions, 9 out of 10 doctors and nurses will make the obvious choice.

My brief summary: I think these towers would be awesome, I'm all for them, but if we're going to really embrace private medicine, we need to strength public medicine as well.

PS. I love this forum, you guys are awesome.

Welcome to the Boards AFS.

to continue your discussion about privitized health care, my suggestion would be relatively simple, and I think it would help us find new doctors.

It would be about fv.cking time that the Québec gov't were to recognized doctorats from other countries., like France.

French Dotors can't practise here because of our stupid regulations. Allow them to practise here(along with Doctors from other french speaking countries) and it would help to fill the need for doctors that we have.

Though it is true that many healthcare workers are underpaid, their situation would only improve with a private clinic within the same jurisdiction. As you say, many are already leaving to higher salaries elsewhere, we might as well give them a source for higher pay locally. All doctors and nurses aren't created equally, just like in any other field. So what that the doctor working at the private clinic gets paid more then a doctor at the CHUM. The lawyer working for Ogilvy makes more then the lawyer working for legal aid though both are still well paid.

Habsfan,

I think your suggestion is a good one, but I don't think it would solve the problem. I would doubt that France (for example) would allow this kind of agreement without having reciprocity. (meaning doctors from quebec getting their creds recognized in France) Therefore, for any number of French doctors who would want to move here, a certain number of Quebecois doctors would want to go to France (particularly if they could get into the EU afterwards). I really believe that the best way to increase the number of doctors is to better their working conditions here, and that means mainly salary increases.

I'll give you another example of bureaucratic nonsense that limits our ability to attract doctors. McGill takes in a good number of foreign med students (I can't speak for UdeM because I don't know about them). These students are only allowed to do a residency within the McGill system if they want to stay in Canada. This means they can't do it withing the UdeM system, the UofT system, UBC, whatever. So most will choose to return to the US. Some of these potential residents (and I know a few personally) would have loved to remain in Montreal. They learn French reasonably well and within the four years of med school integrate reasonable well into Quebec. However, residencies are competative and sometimes McGill will only have one or two spots per specialty. Therefore, without any choices they will have to go to the US, where they have the choice of hundreds of institutions. Had they been allowed to go elsewhere in Canada for residency, they would then be able to return to Quebec afterwards. But once in the US, it gets harder to have the residency recognized and to come back. I'm not sure whether this situation is a McGill, Quebec or Canadian policy, but it's just an example of how we shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes.

Anyways, it's a little off topic. And I just was so excited to post my first time that I waited for my first response. lol.

Deux projets dont SupermanMTL était très très au courant. Il a surement plus de détails pour cette tour !!!

OUF! Je n'ai jamais vu autant d'excitation sur ce site.

Après quelques jours d'absence (c'est très occupé dans la construction), voila ma déception de ne pas avoir eu la chance d'annoncer le projet! Il y a eu une fuite aux médias???

Pour ceux familier avec mes postes, j'avais déjà mentionner il y a longtemps qu'il y avait des grandes choses qui viendrait pour Montréal. Je crois qu'il est un peut prématuré d'annoncer ce projet (je ne l'aurais pas fait).

Espérons tout simplement que ces projets se réaliseront. Je l'espère bien (car j'espère avoir l'opportunité de travailler sur un méga-projet). Espérons qu'il n'y aura pas trop de barrières.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bien.... même si le projet es cancellé, je pense que c'est une signe d'intetest de l'étranger de venir a Montréal... qui est bien je crois... alors, Je pense que si ce projet ce batis ou batis pas.... il va en avoir d'autre binetot....

• Administrateur

Pour ceux familier avec mes postes, j'avais déjà mentionner il y a longtemps qu'il y avait des grandes choses qui viendrait pour Montréal. Je crois qu'il est un peut prématuré d'annoncer ce projet (je ne l'aurais pas fait).

Content de t'entendre parler du projet! Je m'inquietais!;)

En passant, le pluriel était pour les deux tours seulement, ou pour les deux tours + quelques choses d'autre?:drool: