Aller au contenu
publicité

Expos de Montréal

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

I bet some people complained when PVM, CIBC, TDLB, etc were proposed. "They don't fit with the neighborhood!", "Oh the sunlight, the sunlight!", "what about the views?!!", "my underwear are way too tight and it makes me complain about everything!", etc. Today those buildings are considered part of Montreal's DNA. Can you imagine our city without those landmarks?  They are just as much a part of our city as Mont-Royal, Vieux-Port, etc. Same thing for this new generation of skyscrapers - eventually they will be part of our collective DNA. 

• Like 1

publicité
Il y a 13 heures, Rocco a dit :

No wonder she kept her old husbands Lambert name and ditched her real name Bronfman. As a renowned woman activist, thats another fabulous contradiction.

Admittedly, this following message of mine deviates from the main topics, but since you raised this point, here goes another example --just for fun.  Angela Merkel's last name is the one of her previous (divorced) husband Ulrich Merkel.  Angela was born Kesner, her father's name.  The name Kesner itself is a germanized version of polish Kazmierczak, the name of her paternal grandfather.  Conclusion: what's in a name?

5 hours ago, Julpyz said:

When will people realized that our tiny skyscrapers doesn't protect the Mount Royal's view, viewing corridors does.

They probably said the same thing in Hong Kong. "oh no, we won't see Kowloon Bay from the mountain tops anymore with all the skyscrapers." 

Even if we wanted to preserve the view of the St. Lawrence River from Mount Royal, I don't see why certain blocks can't allow for buildings that are higher than the mountain. There should be at least between 1 and 3 supertalls downtown, preferably on blocks between Maestria and 1 Square Phillips. If we're going to have buildings that pass the top of Mount Royal they should be centralized in a certain part of downtown. Most of our tallest buildings seem to be forming east of PVM anyways. That should please the "we won't see the river from the mountain" people. Who cares if they don't see Île Sainte-Hélène or Notre-Dame from the Island anymore, big deal. 

From Mount-Royal, they can still see the Champlain Bridge, the Jacques Cartier Bridge, the historic Victoria Bridge and will still see the fireworks. Plus, on bright sunny days and clear skies, they can see the mountains in the east, and the mountains of Upstate New York and Vermont. The "we won't see the river from the mountain" people like Lambert need to chill because they will always see quite a lot from Mount Royal no matter how many skyscrapers get built.

Modifié par Maisonneuve
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Maisonneuve said:

They probably said the same thing in Hong Kong. "oh no, we won't see Kowloon Bay from the mountain tops anymore with all the skyscrapers." 

Having sweatily walked up to Victoria Peak’s lookout a number of times (along with taking the Tram or regular buses as well), I can say with honesty that IMO most who go up ooh and ahh at the human-made scenery much more than they do at the natural beauty of the the Harbour or the mountains of the New Territories in the distance. That said, by world standards, our fair city’s “natural setting” is as blah as its boring skyline. À chacun son goût and all that, but we don’t rank on anyone’s “most beautiful cities” lists. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Il y a 2 heures, SameGuy a dit :

our fair city’s “natural setting” is as blah

In terms of natural setting: obviously not as spectacular as Rio de Janeiro, Sydney or Vancouver, but definitely superior to Paris, Berlin, London, Moscow, Madrid, Washington D.C. and many others.  Montreal's natural attractiveness does not stem merely from the Mount-Royal; to me, it's more the confluence of large rivers and their broadenings (lakes Saint-Louis, Two Mountains, Saint-François) and the surprising number of adjoining smaller islands, which together make it somewhat unique.  Add the fact that this is freshwater, not salted marine water, and you find yourself in the presence of much coveted wealth.   

Some other places may also be spectacular thanks to their combination of for example high peaks and ocean views, but they may be lacking the natural attributes, in situ or in close proximity, necessary to sustain human life  on a large scale unless they have (and are able to maintain) access to amenities such as food and drinkable water through trade.  

Nature is not only for the view; it's also for enabling human life.  But if your goal is to discover absolutely stunning natural views, you might as well go to uninhabited, virtually unknown places.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2021-03-31 at 9:49 PM, Gjm127 said:

I do wonder if the people in Montreal can actually support 81 matches per year. Can we actually hit 25k/match? Would there really be interest?

I think it can be done. A new stadium close to Downtown would do the job.

Just look at the Alouettes. For ages they struggled to attract people at the big Owe, and then U2 came to town one day, and the Als had to play a game DOWNTOWN. Look what that did for the Als... it was the best thing to ever happen to that organization.

If you build a REAL baseball stadium with 35,000 to 40,000 seats close to DOWNTOWN and with easy access to the financial core (REM), I think we could get an average of 25,000 people per game. If you ad a winning team to this equation, I think you could get 30K per game!

• Like 3

On 2021-04-01 at 12:19 AM, Rocco said:

Lambert is funny but not funny. She rips skyscrapers apart, saying they go against Montreal's DNA and all this bla bla nonsense, but then endorses her brothers ballpark and skyscraper investment at Atwater. "This conversation is going nowhere"

She's a hypocrite! Like many others who bitch and moan against Skyscrapers!

• Like 1