Aller au contenu

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

I don't like it when they do this. ICAO isn't the only organization around the Square Victoria Metro station. The World Trade Center is tied to it. Place Victoria & the stock exchange is nearby and the convention center, Cité International & Old Montreal are just down the street from it.. why link it to one specific organization? Same for Berri-UQAM, it was fine as Berri de Montigny and they had to go demote the historical figure to add in a university.. I'd rather the STM just put up a information sign indicating what major places, buildings or organizations are near each metro station and let people browse that for their own information than go changing names of stations. We're too quick to change street names and metro names without fully understanding the impact on the people & businesses in the area (references to it on business cards, advertising, flyers, other signage, billboards etc).. sometimes a small change can become a big expense for some companies when these things have to be altered.. plus in the case of historical references I don't like to see people honored then many years, decades or even centuries later we decided they are no longer worthy and have to share the honor or lose it al together. They were honored for a reason not just for the fun of it. There's enough new things we can name after people, there's no need to think we can simply replace what our predecessors felt was honorable and worthy of a recognition. It makes us look like our need to recognize are somehow more important than those of the past when in fact they aren't. Furthermore how long will it be before this leads to the US trend for everything to be sponsored by a large corporation and end up with corporate named stations.. Station Square-Victoria-OACI --> Station Quebecor-OACI.. you heard it here first.. :-)

I don't know if you read the article or not, but the reason indicated in the article seems valid to me.

And they aren't changing completely the name.. I am convinced that people won't get lost just because OACI is added.

Il y a aussi une autre raison à ce changement de nom. Dans la dernière année, le Qatar a essayé d'attirer le siège social de l'OACI dans son pays. Montréal, avec l'aide du fédéral, a dû faire quelques promesses pour garder cette prestigieuse institution de l'ONU ici. La Presse en parlait dans un article le mois passé:

LES GAINS OBTENUS PAR L'OACI

L'entente conclue en mars 2013 entre le Canada et l'OACI prévoit les améliorations suivantes:

> L'abolition du loyer de 2,8 millions par année

> La diminution des frais d'entretien

> Une contribution fédérale de 7 millions sur 5 ans pour rénover le siège de l'OACI

Après le dépôt de l'offre du Qatar, le Canada a ajouté:

> Une contribution de 1,4 million pour moderniser le centre des conférences

> Les services d'un agent de liaison de Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada

> L'amélioration des services d'accueil à l'aéroport Trudeau

> De nouvelles places de stationnement réservées aux diplomates dans les rues du centre-ville

> La création d'un comité de suivi composé de représentants d'Ottawa, de Québec, de Montréal et de l'OACI

Même si on ne parle pas ici du changement de nom de la station de métro, on peut parier que ça en faisait partie.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie/transports/201404/21/01-4759354-loaci-peut-encore-quitter-montreal.php

I don't know if you read the article or not, but the reason indicated in the article seems valid to me.

And they aren't changing completely the name.. I am convinced that people won't get lost just because OACI is added.

Yes I read it. It's not a question of people getting lost, it's a question of us in 2014 changing the named choices of people from our past. The station was named after the square. There's no reason for it to be tied to one organization when it serves the needs of all of them in the vicinity. It's a bit disrespectful. I agree ICAO (along with IATA) can and probably should be honored in some way for it's contribution to both Montreal's aviation sector growth and to their legacy of helping the world fly with globally agreed upon guidelines and standards that keep us all secure and confident when we board a narrow tube and climb to 40,000', but I think there is probably a better way to do it than share and existing name of a metro station. For instance we could create an aviation related sculpture at the entrance to YUL, or nearby, or in Square Victoria where it would also be appropriate. We seem to lack that type of art compared to other cities I've been to and it would draw attention to ICAO and if at YUL it would be present to all people coming or going on planes in and out of Montreal signifying the importance of the city in the aviation world. .. the very people ICAO was ultimately created to serve. Furthermore subway stations remain where they are but companies move and then what? If ICAO eventually moves back up north towards rue Sherbrooke where it originally was then what's to be done with the Metro station tied to an organization many metro stops aways? Rename another and put Square-Victoria back to what it once was? It's potentially a slippery slope.. I just don't want to see many Metro stations in 10-20 years renamed for every company, person or organization we feel needs some minor honor or who can buy that honor.. there are new metro stations coming on line soon with the blue line extension. Many of the new stations at the moment have the same names as those on the green line for no other reason than they have the same cross street.. hopefully they will be renamed before they open to something else honoring people or whatever else in the surrounding area that we haven't already honored yet.

Modifié par caribb

OACI ajouté à Square Victoria ne fera que renforcir le prestige de Montréal car de nombreux touristes maintenant sauront que nous possédont une organisation onusienne. Its all good!

OACI ajouté à Square Victoria ne fera que renforcir le prestige de Montréal car de nombreux touristes maintenant sauront que nous possédont une organisation onusienne. Its all good!

I totally agree, it's a great organization and one that brings prestige to Montreal. Not many cities in the world have important large UN organizations like this in them. It's something to promote and make highly visible.

• 2 mois plus tard...

Personne n'a remarqué, à part pour Square-Victoria—OACI? ;)

Via le Journal de Montréal

Métro de Montréal : Changement de noms pour 20 stations

AMÉLI PINEDA / AGENCE QMI

Publié le: lundi 28 juillet 2014, 15H15 | Mise à jour: lundi 28 juillet 2014, 16H29

Une vingtaine de stations du métro de Montréal ont changé de nom depuis le mois de mai sans que personne ne s'en soit aperçu.

Le 9 mai dernier, la Commission de toponymie du Québec a approuvé la demande de la Société de transport de Montréal (STM) pour le changement d'appellation de 20 de ses 68 stations.

Ainsi, la station Champ-de-Mars sera dorénavant celle du Champ-de-Mars, Assomption deviendra de l'Assomption et Verdun, de Verdun.

Ces changements ont été approuvés en même temps que celui de la station Square-Victoria qui est devenue la station du Square-Victoria—OACI.

Pas de changement d'affichage

À l'exception de la station Square-Victoria—OACI, dont les changements de l'affichage dans les voitures, dans la station ainsi que sur l'enregistrement vocal ont coûté 125 000 $, ces autres modifications se feront à coût nul, assure Odile Paradis, porte-parole la STM.

Elle mentionne qu'à court terme, aucun changement d'affichage n'est prévu.

«Il s'agit d'un changement dans le but d'uniformiser l'appellation des stations. On a profité du changement de nom de l'ancienne station Square-Victoria pour faire une demande pour toutes les autres stations», mentionne-t-elle.

Un guide sera toutefois produit afin d'uniformiser le nom de station sur le site Internet de la STM ainsi que dans ses futurs communiqués et communications à l'interne.

Stations touchées

- Acadie devient de L'Acadie

- Assomption devient de L'Assomption

- Cadillac devient De Cadillac

- Champ-de-Mars devient du Champ-de-Mars

- Côte-des-Neiges devient de la Côte-des-Neiges

- Côte-Sainte-Catherine devient de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine

- Côte-Vertu devient de la Côte-Vertu

- Longueuil—Université-de-Sherbrooke devient de Longueuil—Université-de-Sherbrooke

- Mont-Royal devient du Mont-Royal

- Namur devient de Namur

- Outremont devient d'Outremont

- Parc devient du Parc

- Place-d'Armes devient de la Place-d'Armes

- Place-des-Arts devient de la Place-des-Arts

- Place Saint-Henri devient de la Place-Saint-Henri

- Snowdon devient de Snowdon

- Square-Victoria devient du Square-Victoria—OACI

- Université-de-Montréal devient de l'Université-de-Montréal

- Vendôme devient de Vendôme

- Verdun devient de Verdun

Ce que je trouve drôle dans cette histoire, ce sont ceux qui en font un cas, ils ont corrigé des noms de stations, big deal. c'est pas ça qui fait augmenter le prix des billets, ça change rien à votre vie.

Je me demande pourquoi la levé de bouclier parce qu'un organisme ajuste leurs désignations?

expliquez moi votre frustration?