Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

publicité
  • Réponses 39
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Ça aucun rapport : on peut manger de la poutine partout sur le Plateau. Encore un cliché éculé !! Vous êtes bon là-dedans !!

Un fromage frais du jour ne peut pas avoir de goût puisqu'il n'a pas vieilli. Ça prend pas la tête à Papineau pour savoir ça : ce qui donne du goût aux fromages c'est le processus de vieillisement.

Conséquemment, oui tu dois halluciner.

Ça a pas autant de goût, mais de dire que ça en a aucun est un peu poussé.

Et puis je serais pas contre de la poutine avec du cheddar fort, mais je l'aime bien comme elle est aussi. La blague du Plateau, était justement, simplement une blague. ;)

Comme on dit: Alimente pas les clichés en disant que tu renies la poutine et qu'elle devrait être faite de fromage vieillit pour que tu la propose aux touristes. ;)

Mais bon, hein, je veux pas partir une guerre pour ça. Je parlerai plus du Plateau.

• 3 mois plus tard...

It is unfortunate that the piece had to go into so much nonsense of the OQLF. Kind of distracting. Unnecessary. I find that at the end, the journalist stated what should have been a bigger focus: how in Montreal, it's less and less about Franco-Anglo issues and more about a new synergy that is emerging in Montreal - that is a uniquely Montreal identity and culture. I know that as an Anglophone, I feel that way.

Also, there is an important distinction between being English Canadian and being English-Quebecer, particularly English from the central Montreal neighborhoods, which I think a LOT of people in Quebec and in the ROC don't yet understand.

Unfortunately, the only voices we hear (english ones) are the ones who always complains, who says they dont like the OQLF or the language issue in general and they seem to wish to go back to how it was prior to the 60's. They often seem anti-Quebec and will do anything to blame or hurt Quebec's reputaion of the world scene.

Many anglos-quebecois are very comfortable in today"s Quebec and many of them enjoy living as a minority within a french speaking population but the problem is we never hear them speak out or if they do, they are obviously never cited in the medias.

This article reflects that problem because the simple fact that it raises the question of a ''Police language'' automatically leads people to believe it can be very hard to live, speak and to business in english in Montreal while the reality is totaly different.

Articles once published in the New Yorker, the National Post, the Washington Post, The Die Welt or even on TV shows such as ''60 minutes'' have all amplified and exagerated the language problem and made the english minority looked as if they we're persecuted. This article doesnt go as far, thank god, but still implies it......

I hope one day we can read in a influential internation media the truth and the reality which is that Montreal is a great place to live and that the anglo minority is very well treated, probably the best treated minority in the world and that they are happy to participate in the emancipation of the french language as the main language of Quebec and that every other languages is very welcome in this modern Quebec society.

Steve: ask an anglophone from the west island if he's a Québecois and look at his reaction...

Oui je sais bien. T'as raison. Mais j'ai hate qu'il y en ai quelques uns qui se lèvent et parler pour le Québec et surtout Montréal au lieu de toujours entendre les Howard Galganov, Brent Tyler, Keith Henderson et compagnie cracher sur le Québec .....sans oublier Mordecai!!! C'est toujours eux qui sont citer dans les journeaux et médias internationaux.

Je sais qu'il existe des anglos-québécois. Je pense à Dennis Trudeau, David Levine, Robin Philpot, Phillys Lambert, Léonard Cohen, Ben Weider (Décédé récemment), Brendan Kelly, Judith Richard, Jim Corcoran et pleins d'autres mais pour des raisons qui m'échappent, lorsque ces gens parlent de Montréal, en bien, ils ne paraissent jamais nulle part. Mais lorsqu'ils s'agit de quelqu'un qui parle en mal de Montréal alors là ca attire l'attention des médias.

Just some thoughts... I think it's all largely about dialogue.

As an Anglophone, I can tell you that we wonder where the moderate voices are from the other side as well. I have often thought about the silent majority when groups like Mouvement Montreal Francais for example try to incite demostrations because there is English music being played in too many stores downtown. Growing up in the 1980's and 1990's I can say that from my perspective, the political and social discourse has been controlled by extremist groups too. I still hear the English community being labelled Rhodesians and referred to as the Anglo-Saxon establishment, which of course doesn't exist anymore. Groups have been making a fuss lately about recent demographics that show that the language immigrants speak in the home is neither French nor English and that somehow French is in decline on the island of Montreal because of this.

Yes, we are a minority, but there has been trouble reconciling the fact that there is also hundreds of years of English history in Quebec and especially in Montreal. There are many ways to be a Quebecer and I think that it has been less about resistance and more reactionary. How can anyone forget the vitriol of the 1970's and 1980's like Anglo go home, good riddance, etc... spray painted all over the (western side) city.

I think the political elite tend to think of the Quebec English community one-dimensionally,largely as just another cultural community (like the Greek, Italian, Polish, Haitian, etc..) which it really is not. I'm not even sure some politicos and interest groups understand the diversity - races, religions, ethnicities, languages- that make-up the English community. If I'm not mistaken the British and Scottish heritage make-up the smallest percentage.

I often say that there are two clusters of Anglophones - those from the West Island, and those from Central Montreal. I also think that the 21st century world and economy has made us so aware of the importance of knowing many languages. I think we do a disservice to our kids if we only teach them one language. The vast majority of Anglophones know how lucky we are to live in a place where we can live in English and French.

For me, Montreal is so fascinating because it is where French Canada and English Canada meet; it is a city borne of two cultures. Certainly a look at the demographic history of Montreal tells the story.

I think we all have to take all the media attention that extremists from both sides get with a grain of salt and move on.