Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Il y a Conférence de Presse, mercredi matin au Stade Saputo pour environ 100 personnes. Je me demande ce qu'ils vont annoncer. Une nouvelle ligue? de nouveau associés? le retrait pour un an de l'équipe où ils joueront que des match hors concours internationaux?

• 3 semaines plus tard...

It's not official yet, but according to MLS Rumors and Its Called Football , Major League Soccer is set to announce that they will expanding again in 2012.

The new franchise, called the Montreal Impact, will add another USL team and provide a natural rivalry with Toronto FC .

While I believe that the Montreal franchise can be as successful as Toronto and Seattle , I have to wonder whether MLS is expanding too rapidly.

Consider that this year they added Seattle, next season it is Philadelphia . Then in 2011 Portland and Vancouver are joining, and now Montreal in 2012.

That is five new teams in four years. An extra 100 players playing in Major League Soccer.

With this sort of rapid expansion, will the quality of the league suffer?

The MLS plans reminds me of the rapid expansion of the National Hockey League in the 1990’s. The NHL added all these sunbelt franchises, but in the rush to expand the reach of hockey and become a major sport in the U.S. , the quality of play dropped as the new players added would not have been good enough for the NHL prior to expansion.

My worry is that MLS is heading down the same path. What do you think?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/295459-montreal-impact-to-join-major-league-soccer-in-2012

It's not official yet, but according to MLS Rumors and Its Called Football , Major League Soccer is set to announce that they will expanding again in 2012.

The new franchise, called the Montreal Impact, will add another USL team and provide a natural rivalry with Toronto FC .

While I believe that the Montreal franchise can be as successful as Toronto and Seattle , I have to wonder whether MLS is expanding too rapidly.

Consider that this year they added Seattle, next season it is Philadelphia . Then in 2011 Portland and Vancouver are joining, and now Montreal in 2012.

That is five new teams in four years. An extra 100 players playing in Major League Soccer.

With this sort of rapid expansion, will the quality of the league suffer?

The MLS plans reminds me of the rapid expansion of the National Hockey League in the 1990’s. The NHL added all these sunbelt franchises, but in the rush to expand the reach of hockey and become a major sport in the U.S. , the quality of play dropped as the new players added would not have been good enough for the NHL prior to expansion.

My worry is that MLS is heading down the same path. What do you think?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/295459-montreal-impact-to-join-major-league-soccer-in-2012

Yeah, what the guy says could be true. But Montreal is a hotbed for soccer, so there's no way he can argue against a team coming here in particular. It will certainly do better than Philly, Portland and Vancouver attendance-wise.

In Montreal, I'd say the pecking-order of sports is:

1. Hockey

2. Soccer

3. Football

4. F1

5. Basketball

30 years ago:

1. Hockey

2. Baseball

3. F1

4. Football

5. Probably basketball

Yeah, what the guy says could be true. But Montreal is a hotbed for soccer, so there's no way he can argue against a team coming here in particular. It will certainly do better than Philly, Portland and Vancouver attendance-wise.

In Montreal, I'd say the pecking-order of sports is:

1. Hockey

2. Soccer

3. Football

4. F1

5. Basketball

30 years ago:

1. Hockey

2. Baseball

3. F1

4. Football

5. Probably basketball

You forgot about Tennis and Golf, both being way more popular than basketball over here.

I'd still rank Football over Soccer though, just by looking at the hype around the Alouettes these days.

Tiré de MLSnet.com

Expansion will also bubble to the surface in the near future as Garber said the league would like to add its 19th team by 2012. Montreal, the current USL-1 champions, is the leading candidate to fill that role right now, Garber said. The potential ownership group in Montreal met with Garber and other MLS dignitaries this week as the two parties continue to work towards a solution where the Impact would end up in the league in the near future.

Montreal's eventual acceptance will likely hinge on whether it can obtain the necessary financing package through a combination of private financing by the Saputo family and other potential investors in the team and public financing by the province of Quebec. In its current state, Stade Saputo simply isn't ready for MLS, according to Garber.

"We've got some work to do there," Garber said. "Most importantly, that stadium needs to be renovated and expanded. You see what's going on here (in Seattle) and you can see that it's probably not suitable for a MLS team today. We'll work with the Saputo family and the provincial government to make some progress on those renovations."

The current rumors linking David Beckham with the Montreal bid are wide of the mark, Garber said. Beckham does have the option to acquire an expansion team in conjunction with 19 Entertainment, but that potential team is slated to join as the 20th team at a later date, according to Garber.

L'Impact de Montréal fera partie de la nouvelle North American Soccer League

De THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (CP)

MONTREAL — Pele n'effectuera peut-être pas un retour au jeu, mais la NASL renaît de ses cendres.

La deuxième division de soccer professionnel masculin devrait amorcer ses opérations le printemps prochain. Son nom a été dévoilé lundi, et il devrait être familier aux partisans de soccer canadiens et américains: North American Soccer League.

La NASL originale a existé de 1968 à 1984 et a brièvement causé une onde de choc dans le milieu du ballon rond en attirant des joueurs légendaires tels que Pele, Franz Beckenbauer, Giorgio Chinaglia et Johan Cruyff. La nouvelle NASL comptera neuf équipes: les Whitecaps de Vancouver, l'Impact de Montréal, les RailHawks de la Caroline, les Silverbacks d'Atlanta, le Crystal Palace de Baltimore, le Miami FC, le Thunder du Minnesota, le United Soccer de St. Louis et les Rowdies de Tampa Bay.

La ligue s'est inscrite auprès de la Fédération américaine de soccer afin d'être sanctionnée, et recherche un commissaire. "En devenant la NASL, nous offrons le respect à nos joueurs, nos entraîneurs et nos meneurs qui ont été des pionniers dans l'histoire du soccer professionnel masculin en Amérique du Nord. Certains d'entre eux demeurent impliqués dans notre sport autant au Canada qu'aux Etats-Unis, a déclaré Selby Wellman, le propriétaire majoritaire des RailHawks. Pour cela, nous les honorons et les remercions en offrant une deuxième vie à la NASL."