Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 1,1k
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Montreal should pay close attention to what Torontois doing and take notes!!! Man, I'm jealous, those are some outstanding projects...meanwhile we keep plugging our holes with 3 to 5 floor projects! What makes matters worse is, we get excited when hear about them.

Montreal doesn't have the population increase to warrant such construction of high-rise condos. Toronto, Vancouver, even Calgary to a lesser extent, have seen more condo development. Most of downtown Vancouver looks like it's been built in the last 20 years. Mostly condos.

With SOOOO many projects on the board for Toronto, lose one, gain another, it doesn't amke much of a difference!!

This is true, but the failure of the Yonge-Bloor 80-storey project became a symbol of greed in this condo market. It was promoted as the tallest residential tower in Canada, at Canada's most posh intersection, etc...I liked that building, but the whole promotion of it was filled with such hubris. People stood in line for weeks just to buy a unit (mostly just to flip). I remember in 2007 buyers stood in line for days, even weeks before the grand opening. Some realtors paid people to stand in line. When the office opened for buying, people started physically fighting in line, such was the vigour to get a chance to buy a condo at the "centre of Canada" where Yonge meets Bloor. When the developer saw the fighting, he immediately raised the prices of the units, selling the most expensive for as high as $8 million. Some rich guy from Hong Kong paid $25 million just for the penthouse. Now, the project is dead and hundreds of greedy dreamers are out thousands of dollars, if not millions. Most people want to see a public square there, like Yonge-Dundas Square without all the ads, but most likely it will be another banal glass box of at least 30 storeys. So much for Canada's most posh intersection. Last time I was in mtl I went to the Louis Boheme presentation room because it looked pretty unique. The building won't be spectacular, but you can tell that the developer isn't just trying to make money of banality, but is actually trying to construct a building with a character and specific design philosophy. In T.O., of the hundreds of new condo developments, only a hand full offer any sort of distinctiveness, other than some corny theme name like Ice,/Emerald/South Beach/Giraffe and contorted facades.

Here are the best highrises condos in Toronto by far:

College Park Condos

http://www.bustler.net/images/uploads/5th_pug_awards_05.jpg

One St. Thomas Residences

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZC_3G3uffII/R9MirmKaFxI/AAAAAAAAA6k/SW1pg54qdHM/One+St.+Thomas+Residences6.JPG

As you can see, these condos are very Montrealesque. Their the type of high-rises I imagine you building in Montreal if you had the population influx and the money. In fact, the developers of College Park Condos are from mtl. One St. Thomas Residences was designed by Robert Stern, a very reputable NYC architect.

Montreal doesn't have the population increase to warrant such construction of high-rise condos. Toronto, Vancouver, even Calgary to a lesser extent, have seen more condo development. Most of downtown Vancouver looks like it's been built in the last 20 years. Mostly condos.

This is true, but the failure of the Yonge-Bloor 80-storey project became a symbol of greed in this condo market. It was promoted as the tallest residential tower in Canada, at Canada's most posh intersection, etc...I liked that building, but the whole promotion of it was filled with such hubris. People stood in line for weeks just to buy a unit (mostly just to flip). I remember in 2007 buyers stood in line for days, even weeks before the grand opening. Some realtors paid people to stand in line. When the office opened for buying, people started physically fighting in line, such was the vigour to get a chance to buy a condo at the "centre of Canada" where Yonge meets Bloor. When the developer saw the fighting, he immediately raised the prices of the units, selling the most expensive for as high as $8 million. Some rich guy from Hong Kong paid $25 million just for the penthouse. Now, the project is dead and hundreds of greedy dreamers are out thousands of dollars, if not millions. Most people want to see a public square there, like Yonge-Dundas Square without all the ads, but most likely it will be another banal glass box of at least 30 storeys. So much for Canada's most posh intersection. Last time I was in mtl I went to the Louis Boheme presentation room because it looked pretty unique. The building won't be spectacular, but you can tell that the developer isn't just trying to make money of banality, but is actually trying to construct a building with a character and specific design philosophy. In T.O., of the hundreds of new condo developments, only a hand full offer any sort of distinctiveness, other than some corny theme name like Ice,/Emerald/South Beach/Giraffe and contorted facades.

Here are the best highrises condos in Toronto by far:

College Park Condos

http://www.bustler.net/images/uploads/5th_pug_awards_05.jpg

One St. Thomas Residences

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZC_3G3uffII/R9MirmKaFxI/AAAAAAAAA6k/SW1pg54qdHM/One+St.+Thomas+Residences6.JPG

As you can see, these condos are very Montrealesque. Their the type of high-rises I imagine you building in Montreal if you had the population influx and the money. In fact, the developers of College Park Condos are from mtl. One St. Thomas Residences was designed by Robert Stern, a very reputable NYC architect.

Couldn't agree more with you. Thanks Maisonneuve. Just one little thing: the second link isn't working.

Great post Maiosnneuve, however, I'd like to add the X-Condos to your list of very impressive condo towers in Toronto. The X-Condo reminds me of Louis Boheme here in Montreal, except that it looks better and is taller! Great piece of architecture!

Also, the population of Montreal grows by about 28,000 to 35,000 per year. Not anything incredible, but still more than Calgary and on par with Vancouver!

Vraiment vraiment intéressant Maisonneuve, je ne connaissait pas l'histoire de ce projet !

Mais pourquoi le projet a été annulé si les unités se vendaient si bien ?

Pourquoi les acheteurs ont perdu leur argent ? Ils n'ont pas de plans de garanti en Ontario ? ACQ, APCHQ ? Et autres qui garantissent ta mise de fonds ?