Aller au contenu

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

5 hours ago, reecemartin said:

Lol, the suggestion that we would be able to through run intercity trains onto the Montreal Metro is not happening so that has plenty of legs. You can run trains through tunnels in the city center absolutely, but wouldn't work on the metro for numerous reasons.

You have either misunderstood what I was saying or don't understand the subject sufficiently. "Multiple layers of public transport" does not necessarily mean running on the same track. It certain can, and there are numerous exemples of this worldwide, but that is not what I was suggesting in that specific post. To be had, our rubber tire metro is probably not compatible with such a scheme. The REM might be, but only if the elevated structures were built to a sufficient standard. The natural conclusion is that is not what I was suggesting with my previous intervention. 

What I did suggest is that we need to be looking at "making better use of existing infrastructure". The main suggestion of that intervention was to run all day trains on the EXO network, like GO does on all but 2 of its lines. I also suggested that small incremental improvement to the EXO network would go a long way reducing the strain on other transport infrastructure.

Just to be clear on what multiple layers of transport network means, the car centric analog is:

1. Local street (slow speeds, numerous intersections, narrow right of way, low throughput, built for local businesses and home owners)
  2. Collector roads  (similar to local streets, connects local streets together, medium throughput)
  3. Main thoroughfares / Boulevards (few intersections, wide right of way, medium to high throughput, built to facilitate movement within a city, limited number of driveways / parking entrances)
  4. Provincial / state roads (few intersections, high speed, may have homes or businesses along the right of way, handles long distance travel in areas not served by a highway)
  5. Highways (no intersections, high speed, very wide right of way, high throughput, built for intercity travel, no homes, businesses or driveways)

A similar hierarchy exist on public transit networks for similar reasons. If you are going from one side of the town to the other side, rather then staying on local streets, it is probably better to get onto a boulevard or a highway as it will get you there faster.

A similar hierarchy for public transport would look something like this:

1. Bus (local service)
  2. Busway / Tramway (local service for dense neighbourhood, or lines with a heavy usage)
  3. Metro (high capacity, regular service)
  4. REM (high capacity, longer distance between stations)
  5. EXO (serves the immediate suburbs)
  6. VIA Rail (intercity trains)
  7. HFR (High Speed, point A to B with very few stops)

Implied in this hierarchy is that the user might need to interchange between one mode to another in order to get to and from his destination.

• Like 2

il y a 10 minutes, Rocco a dit :

Il va avoir une entrée de tunnel ici. Et la rue où je me tiens sera fermée à jamais. 

20210914_212433.jpg

20210914_212445.jpg

20210914_212454.jpg

On voit bien que tu fais référence à la rue Jeanne-Mance.  Esthétiquement, ça risque de ne pas être très beau.  Mais en ce qui a trait aux déplacements dans l'axe nord-sud, il me semble que l'impact serait insignifiant, car au sud du boulevard René-Lévesque, la rue Jeanne-Mance est étroite  --une seule voie de circulation, à sens unique.

Ceci dit, je suis encore loin d'être convaincu que cette option soit retenue.  

• Like 1

• 2 semaines plus tard...
Citation

Théories sur le nouvel emplacement de la station? (si le segment dans Mercier reste encore sur Sherbrooke et n'est pas déplacé sur Souligny) 

Il y a 10 heures, mk.ndrsn a dit :

Théories sur le nouvel emplacement de la station? (si le segment dans Mercier reste encore sur Sherbrooke et n'est pas déplacé sur Souligny) 

Je dirais coin Sherbrooke et Des Ormeaux.  Il y a un PFK qui semble avoir fermé (il faudra bien décontaminer le terrain…) avec un stationnement assez gros.  Des Ormeaux est une rue importante dans ce secteur (elle se rend de l'autoroute 40 jusqu'à Notre-Dame), et un circuit d'autobus y passe.

• Like 2

il y a 29 minutes, ToxiK a dit :

Assez ironique de voir la pub PFK alors que le PFK est fermé...

Il y a 10 heures, Kolev3000 a dit :

Sans de « réelles remises en question » de la part de CDPQ, les élus de l’Est devront à son avis tirer un trait sur le projet.

(ci-dessus un extrait du texte cité)

Que veut dire "tirer un trait" quand ce ne sont pas eux (les élus de l'Est) qui décident?