Aller au contenu

Maison Manuvie - 28 étages

monctezuma

Messages recommendés

Comme la tour de la CIBC ?

Pourtant à l'époque, ce n'est pas les terrains vacants qui manquaient.

Étonnement, les terrains vacants n'étaient pas encore si présents dans le "nouveau" centre-ville de cette époque.

C'est justement l'engouement pour le secteur et la spéculation foncière qui ont fait apparaître les vides urbains des années 70-80.

Ceci dit, vous avez raison les deux. ;)

• 4 semaines plus tard...
  • 4 semaines plus tard...
There is no need in my opinion to have super high office towers. Firstly could Montreal really fill up those very tall buildings ? we already have high vacancies downtown.

Secondly, Montreal's urban fabric is somewhat unique in North America, very dense city but at a human scale. Our historic architecture, our churches, cathedrals, victorian row houses, dense narrow streets, all contribute to a MONTREAL VIBE. Our city doesn't need to compete with Toronto. They need a sky reaching skyline...there isn't that much else architecturaly.

I do agree that 26 floors for that corner is a bit shy, but then again MSDL architects where able to convey elegance and harmonious proportions.

Excellente réflexion :thumbsup:

There is no need in my opinion to have super high office towers. Firstly could Montreal really fill up those very tall buildings ? we already have high vacancies downtown.

Secondly, Montreal's urban fabric is somewhat unique in North America, very dense city but at a human scale. Our historic architecture, our churches, cathedrals, victorian row houses, dense narrow streets, all contribute to a MONTREAL VIBE. Our city doesn't need to compete with Toronto. They need a sky reaching skyline...there isn't that much else architecturaly.

I do agree that 26 floors for that corner is a bit shy, but then again MSDL architects where able to convey elegance and harmonious proportions.

Nicely put. Anyways, I feel the day will come when Montreal will need higher buildings, and at that moment, they will add to an already very dense core, rather than deplete it of anything else. I trust the future is good.:hyper:

Montreal est dense et les rues sont vraiment étroites si on compare avec beaucoup d'autres grande villes.

Je pourrai comparer avec Londres qui elle aussi a des rues etroites.

Construire des tres hautes tours cache toute la lumiere du soleil.

Juste a voir la tours des canadien et l'avenue c'est terriblement pres l'une de l'autre.

Nicely put but I'd have to add that it is necessary for cities to reinvent themselves every decade or so.. to put on a fresh face.. many people around the world only know of Dubai, Kuala Lumpur and Taipei because their new skylines shouted out their success to the world. They stand out much like the CN tower makes Toronto stand out. Montreal's skyline changes but unless you are following us it looks pretty much the same as always, just a little more dense than earlier. Our need to protect Mont-Royal's view to me is partly bogus. We don't go downtown to look at the mountain. We can see it from 3 other sides with no problem. It could be a builder will build 2 20 story buildings insead of 1 40 story so the view of the mountain from the city at ground level itslef would be more blocked out than if it were 1 building... plus there is an argument than the whole mountain view argument is really more about wealthy people living on the mountain not wanting their view from the mountain blocked by office towers.. regardless, I'm not a fan of restrictions and limitations. I don't think we'd have many (if any) very tall buildings happening if the height limit were taken off anyway but I'd like to think it could be built if there was a need and it didn't destroy the human factor in the local area. Plus it would help freshen Montreal's image to the world and encourage business to come here if they see it growing and changing. Despite arguments to the contrary, we do compete with out cities for business so it takes whatever we can do to draw people here and maybe this is one litle thing.. we just have to make sure we do it better.

Nicely put but I'd have to add that it is necessary for cities to reinvent themselves every decade or so.. to put on a fresh face.. many people around the world only know of Dubai, Kuala Lumpur and Taipei because their new skylines shouted out their success to the world. They stand out much like the CN tower makes Toronto stand out. Montreal's skyline changes but unless you are following us it looks pretty much the same as always, just a little more dense than earlier. Our need to protect Mont-Royal's view to me is partly bogus. We don't go downtown to look at the mountain. We can see it from 3 other sides with no problem. It could be a builder will build 2 20 story buildings insead of 1 40 story so the view of the mountain from the city at ground level itslef would be more blocked out than if it were 1 building... plus there is an argument than the whole mountain view argument is really more about wealthy people living on the mountain not wanting their view from the mountain blocked by office towers.. regardless, I'm not a fan of restrictions and limitations. I don't think we'd have many (if any) very tall buildings happening if the height limit were taken off anyway but I'd like to think it could be built if there was a need and it didn't destroy the human factor in the local area. Plus it would help freshen Montreal's image to the world and encourage business to come here if they see it growing and changing. Despite arguments to the contrary, we do compete with out cities for business so it takes whatever we can do to draw people here and maybe this is one litle thing.. we just have to make sure we do it better.

You make a valid point. I agree. But beware : you're opening a Pandora's Box with this subject! The next 5 pages or so will be filled with arguments for and against, in a resurrection of this endless debate! ;)

Anyway, I agree with you.