Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Formule 1

Le retrait du Grand Prix confirmé

Canoë - Benoît Rioux

08/10/2008 15h45

20081008-154507-g.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone, grand manitou de la F1, a confirmé l'exclusion du Grand Prix de Montréal pour l'été prochain.

«C'est un problème technique concernant le contrat, a dit Ecclestone. Nous perdons le Canada l'an prochain, c'est certain.»

Concernant les organisateurs du Grand Prix, on a semblé résigné à la perte de l'événement non seulement pour 2009, mais fort probablement à long terme.

En conférence de presse, Paul Wilson, vice-président marketing du Grand Prix du Canada, s'est d'abord dit déçu de cette «décision unilatérale».

«Il est vrai qu'il existait un différend commercial», a-t-on ajouté, précisant qu'une clause échappatoire (et confidentielle) permettait au patron de la F1 d'agir ainsi.

Le promoteur Normand Legault était pour sa part absent de la conférence de presse, se trouvant plutôt en Europe pour des raisons personnelles.

Le marché n'est plus viable

L'organisation trouve dommage que M. Ecclestone ait décidé de couper court. Le marché de Montréal ne semblait toutefois plus viable pour la Formule 1, en vertu de l'augmentation des coûts.

M. Wilson a précisé que les investisseurs privés n'a d'autres choix que de se retirer. Aucune sollicitation auprès des gouvernements n'est même envisagée.

http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/archives/2008/10/20081008-154507.html

I think we should all chill down and see how this things unfolds... see how the politicians will react to this before accusing the governments of letting this go.

En effet.

De toute façons tous les autres gouvernements gèrent et financent les GP. Montreal était le dernier GP à être géré par le privé.

La ville de Melbourne et le gouvernement de l`Australie ont fait le parie de perdre entre 10 et 15 millions par année pour le garder.

I hate this city..I hate the lack of big thinking.

I completely agree with you here. Unless we show that we're ready to step up to the plate and put our money where our mouth is, I'm high-tailing it out of here when I'm done my university degree. We're a city on the decline. People want things like free university, and this is what happens (I would be willing to pay 4,000 a semester to get a degree. Obviously nobody else is...)

We used to get excited about 40 storey buildings. Worlds fairs. Olympics. Major League Baseball. Formula 1. Subways.

After 40 years of neglect, the city has become a backwater burg. We now get excited by 20 storey buildings. World Aquatics championships. QMJHL hockey. Nascar. Increased bus service.

And its only going to get worse. Sure the city will continue growing up to a certain point, but we will be nothing more than a glorified medium-sized town. Montreal is quickly becoming a one trick pony (Habs.) Thank God that we have an American owner for our hockey team who doesn't mind spending money.

All I know is that we better find a way to replace this loss of revenue. I honestly don't give a flying shit about F1. But I do care about money and about my city.

If Legault was the only private promoter in the world, who in toronto is willing to roll out 50m$ minimum a year for this?

The only players that can make it happen are the govts, and i bet your ass that the federal govt isn't willing to stir up shit by promoting Toronto at the expense of Montreal.

I don't think it has something to do with the city.

It's this old bastard Ecclestone. He wants 100 millions. Would you give that to him ? Or would you put it in healthcare, education, roads, etc. ??

Singapore and Bahrein don't have healthcare and education, they can afford a Grand Prix.

It's a lot more than The city. It's our whole system that is the way it is.

Personnaly, I prefer having free medicare and cheap CEGEP and university than a Grand Prix.

The GP is a huge loss for this city, but for once, it ain't our fault. There is nothing we can do unless going at BMO or RBC and ask for a 100 M$ loan every year for the next 5 years, and after, it will be 200 M$ per year and on and on until we have to pay a CHUM every year to keep the GP.

It doesnt work like that. The Grand-Prix was bringing a lot of money in Montréal and a lot of visibility. Actually, we will have less money to put in other priorities.

BTW, we dont have a healthcare system either. What we have a huge blackhole that sucks more and more money every yeat but still manage to care for the health of some people.

The biggest nightmare scenario would be for us to get it back in 2010 but with 1 change. Instead of being held here it would be in Toronto. OMG I would blow that city up!

If the Federal Government gets in on the Grand Prix, you can bet that they will want a system of alternance between Montreal and Toronto, like in tennis. That way, they look like they are being fair. If Québec complains, they will say that evil separatists are never happy. Of course, after a few years, Toronto will want the Grand Prix only for itself, but that is another story...