Aller au contenu
publicité

Expos de Montréal

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

I think "market" is about more than just headcount. There is a finite amount that each can spend on live entertainment in a year. Now think about all the opportunities to spend $$$ we already have! Canadiens, Alouettes, Impact, Rogers Cup, F1, Juste pour Rire, Festival de Jazz, Montreal en Lumiere, UFC, boxing, NASCAR, OSM/PdA, numerous concerts at Bell Centre (eg Madonna, Barbra Streisand, stand-up) and I'm probably forgetting a few. I've never been to Cleveland but I doubt they have so many options in terms of live entertainment and festivals..

Add theatre, contemporary art, museums (MTL has one of the biggest number of museums per capita), Maison symphonique, Place des Arts and MANY other concert and show venues, New circus, dance (ballet and modern), indie music galore, good jazz clubs, and on and on and on.... MTL is definitely a MAJOR cultural and arts hub in North America. Pro sports has to shuffle itself a place in all that. But I strongly believe it can, and without having to enter a war with all the competition. There are still a lot of people who don't go out at all weeknights and even on week-ends. It's just a matter of changing mentalities.

publicité

There are too many things to do in Montréal in summer. If baseball was to survive, it would have to be linked to summer. For that, it needs to be outside. The Olympic stadium, even with is roof open has too much of an inside feeling.

Frankly, I would spend on Expos far more than I would spend on Madonna.

These are two different kinds of entertainment, which are not subsitutable.

The Als are good but Expos would be a much preferred choice...

Impact is fine but I much prefer baseball.

Regarding all these festivals, I thought it was more linked to tourism, while Baseball would be more a local thing in view.

Point being, if there is a stadium downtown, Expos would be a primary attraction for sure (just after the Habs).

Potentially other shows / attractions would suffer, so be it.

Guys I really don't get this negative attitude.

Are you so hung up over the 2-3 decades of quasi depression Montreal just have been through?

Embrace change because it is coming to us now.

Modifié par qwerty

not sure if this was posted here before but someone on facebook shared a link to this article. interesting to see the point of view from south of the border on the subject..

http://nesn.com/2013/04/montreal-could-get-mlb-team-if-city-approves-downtown-stadium-video/

ps id paste the article to read but im on my iphone atm kinda hard

Jim Caple de ESPN récemment : http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9101462/bad-seasons-expected-yankees-red-sox-open-windows-rest-teams

"Bring Big League Baseball Back, If Only For The Smoked Meat Sandwiches. While MLB works to grow the game globally through the World Baseball Classic, Warren Cromartie is hard at work to expand it internationally … to Canada. Cromartie held a news conference last week to announce a feasibility study as part of his goal to bring major league ball back to Montreal.

"I have been almost like a scout in Montreal the last couple years," Cromartie said. "I've been checking people out and getting the pulse of the city, like I'm looking for that elusive five-tool player. And I'm happy to say that Montreal is a five-tool city. One, we have the history, with Jackie Robinson, who pretty much put Montreal on the baseball map. [He played there for the Dodgers' AAA team in 1946.] Two, we have the passionate fan base. Close to 4 million people live in Montreal. We're one of the largest cities in North America without a team. Three, we have the Canadiens and the Alouettes. No. 4, we have the corporate entities needed. And No. 5, they got me."

Cromartie said that last bit with a laugh, but he's right. To pull this off, Montreal needs a passionate person bursting with enthusiasm who will work hard to make an impossible dream come true. Cromartie played in Montreal and has roots there; he married a woman from Quebec. Montreal supported major league ball until it was hit with the triple whammy of the 1994 strike, the Canadian dollar's plunging value and Jeffrey Loria's ownership. We're nearly two decades removed from the strike, the Canadian dollar and the U.S. dollar are at par, and Loria is now haunting Miami. Montreal deserves to have the game back. Cross your fingers and wish Cromartie the best success."

Ça ce n'Est qu'une autre tentative des Blue Jays de cimenter leur statut d'équipe du Canada. Je vous rappel que lors de la dernière années des expos, seulement deux équipes ont voté contre le déménagement des Expos...Montréal et MInneapolis. Les Blue Jays ont vu une chance d'éliminer leurs seule compétition au Canada et ils ont sauté dessus.

C'est une des raisons pourquoi JAMAIS est ce que je vais être partisans des Jays.