mtlurb

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 361
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Why is the number from India so low? We had only 1,500 more Indian immigrants than Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario...

Because India used to be a British colony. Most indians know some english and it,s easier for them to go where the main language is english!

Just like Québec accepts people who already speak french!

Language transfer is a controversial subject in Montreal. Here's the language transfer rates for the top five non-official languages:

Top Non-Official Languages in MONTREAL

1. Italian: 120,145

Italian speakers who speak Italian at home: 39.3%

Italian speakers who speak English at home: 43%

Italian speakers who speak French at home: 11.5%

2. Arabic: 97,910

Arabic speakers who speak Arabic at home: 48.3%

Arabic speakers who speak English at home: 7.4%

Arabic speakers who speak French at home: 31%

3. Spanish: 90,105

Spanish speakers who speak Spanish at home: 62.3%

Spanish speakers who speak English at home: 7.0%

Spanish spekaers who speak French at home: 20.6%

4. Chinese: 58,855

Chinese speakers who speak Chinese at home: 82.1%

Chinese speakers who speak English at home: 8.9%

Chinese speakers who speak French at home: 5.3%

5. Creole: 42,550

Creole speakers who speak Creole at home: 34.7%

Creole speakers who speak English at home: 1.7%

Creole speakers who speak French at home: 52.6%

Fascinating trivia: in Montreal, 6.2% of anglophones (26,370) speak French at home... and 1.8% of francophones (42,905) speak English at home!

BTW, these figures don't reflect the people who speak both English and French at home, or their own language plus French/English. You can get a sense of the overall trend, though: Italians tend to be mostly anglophone, while Haitians, Spanish/Latinos and Arabs tend to be mostly francophone. Chinese, well... they like doing their own thing.

Kilgore : the most surprising numbers :

Fascinating trivia: in Montreal, 6.2% of anglophones (26,370) speak French at home... and 1.8% of francophones (42,905) speak English at home!

It was known to me that there were transfers from french to english in our community (it also has been largely documented by medias) but the transfers from english to french !! How accurate are these numbers ? In percentage, it's surprising but in numbers it's still undermining the survival of french. Don't get me wrong : I'm not saying its is catastrophic but still !!

Once again, what would be the incentives, the motivations of anglos to speaks french at home ? French speaking mothers ?

I have no clues and I'm asking questions to you partly because you're a member of the anglophone community.

It probably occurs as a result of having a francophone parent and living in a heavily francophone environment. For instance, if you look at the language statistics from the town of Montreal East, you'll see that there are fewer people who speak English at home than there are native anglophones. About 1/4 of anglos who live in Montreal East speak French at home.

Similarly, 50% of Quebec City's anglophones speak French at home.

On the other hand, there's the West Island, where the number of people who speak French at home is smaller than the number of francophones. I know someone with a francophone father and anglophone mother who was raised in Kirkland. Despite his very French name he speaks French with a heavier accent than I do.