Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

Blair: Bring Back The Expos

30expos.jpg

Paul Chiasson/Associated Press

After 36 seasons in Montreal, the Expos played their last home game before 31,395 fans at Olympic Stadium.

Jeff Blair, July 15, 2008 at 1:54 PM EDT

Bud Selig just wrapped up his annual luncheon meeting with the Baseball Writers Association of America and I swear to god (and Josh Hamilton) that I could hear Supertramps 'Crisis What Crisis' playing in the background. Really, considering the stuff Selig usually has to deal with in what is an always frank session - again, if only fans could see more of this side of the guy - most of this years issues were nuts and bolts baseball things.

Three interesting items were the commissioner's take on instant replay, the truly abyssmal television ratings of the Washington Nationals and the impact the continued deterioration in the U.S. economy might have on the game.

Instant replay for home run calls is coming. Make book on it. "We're looking at it intensely and I think we'll see it in a limited form," Selig said Tuesday. "Once we are convinced the bugs are out, it will come quickly - maybe before the post-season."

Meanwhile, Neilsen's research of the Washington Nationals ratings showed an average viewership of just over 9,000 households, more than a third less than the numbers of the next closest team. Even the company said the low figure was remarkable. Selig said Tuesday that baseball is doing it's own independent study of the numbers but he believes the former Expos franchise is on a solid foundation.

And with the U.S. economy now living with the consequences of eight years of George W. Bush's incompetence, Selig admitted that the slowdown was "a source of great concern for the game," which he now says might not be able to meet his dream total of 80 million fans.

"The picture's very bleak," he said of the economy. "But so far, we've been OK. I have always had a theory that when things like gas prices cause people to take less vacations, we seem to do OK. That's not based on anything empirical. But so far, at least, we haven't seen an impact on any level of our business. The central office and the clubs are all pretty much on pace. But, yes, I'm very skittish on that point."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080715.WBbaseball20080715135420/WBStory/WBbaseball

publicité
  • Réponses 121
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Seems to me that the Expos had higher TV ratings than that. How pathetic. I would be laughing my ass off if these Nationals relocate or face contraction. Poetic Justice.

The first thing I would do with $1 Billion is bring a baseball team back to Montreal and build a stadium. (The thing after that would be to build a super-tall skyscraper downtown)

Seems to me that the Expos had higher TV ratings than that. How pathetic. I would be laughing my ass off if these Nationals relocate or face contraction. Poetic Justice.

The first thing I would do with $1 Billion is bring a baseball team back to Montreal and build a stadium. (The thing after that would be to build a super-tall skyscraper downtown)

Just for curiosity, where would you build the stadium?

Imaginez ce stade à Montréal. Soit à l'emplacement prévu initiallement (là ou il y a maintenant des condos) ou au Bassin Peel comme le suggère MTLskyline. Ou bien à la place de l'Autoroute Bonaventure, le long du fleuve St-Laurent.