Aller au contenu

Habsfan

Messages recommendés

• Administrateur
...qui cessera de n'être que l'artère de circulation ouest pour la rue Sainte-Catherine !!

je vois pas exactement ce que tu veux dire, mais disons que maisonneuve est la rue jumellée par défaut à st-cath pour la circulation... ça changera pas bientôt ça.

• Réponses 38
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Bien, avec le 1200 et le Roc Fleury, il y a maintenant quelques édifices qui ont pignons sur rues. Si la tour Hines se construit, cela en fera plus et avec Concordia qui a déjà des pavillons ayant un accès direct sur la rue et le nouveau en construction, il devrait y avoir un peu plus de monde sur les trottoir de Maiisonneuve.

Par contre, ce qu'il manque, ce sont plus de commerces au niveaux du la rue.

de Maisonneuve is an important boulevard irrespective of Ste Catherine. It has many high profile buildings that line it, including, KPMG, Place Montreal Trust, and 2000 Peel. The intersection of Peel and de Maisonneuve alone is one of the most high profile intersections downtown. With the addition of Le Roc Fleuri and 1200 dM, this will only reinforce the stature. In fact, there are retail locations at street level at a lot of the buildings that line the street.

The problem in Montreal that I believe is the reason for the lack of street life is the underground city. It is an accepted vision that we continue developing the underground city, much to the detriment to street life. While I believe many of the connections make sense, overall, I am not a fan. In Particular, I am not a fan of the urban planners requiring all developments where possible to link up to the RESO just for the sake of it. Street life is has suffered as a result of this. I would much rather see people pour out of an office building into the street at 5pm than into a tunnel.

de Maisonneuve is an important boulevard irrespective of Ste Catherine. It has many high profile buildings that line it, including, KPMG, Place Montreal Trust, and 2000 Peel. The intersection of Peel and de Maisonneuve alone is one of the most high profile intersections downtown. With the addition of Le Roc Fleuri and 1200 dM, this will only reinforce the stature. In fact, there are retail locations at street level at a lot of the buildings that line the street.

The problem in Montreal that I believe is the reason for the lack of street life is the underground city. It is an accepted vision that we continue developing the underground city, much to the detriment to street life. While I believe many of the connections make sense, overall, I am not a fan. In Particular, I am not a fan of the urban planners requiring all developments where possible to link up to the RESO just for the sake of it. Street life is has suffered as a result of this. I would much rather see people pour out of an office building into the street at 5pm than into a tunnel.

I disagree! When there is a snowstorm (or worse, an ice storm) I love not having to walk on the surface. On beautiful days, I walk outside. With the underground city, we have at least a choice.

the underground city is not the fastest way from point A to point B 99% of the time, so people use it if weather is not great outside

As far as i know, i've never seen a lack of people walking on the sidewalks on a beautiful day

internationalx : evn though de Maisonneuve has a lot to offer in terms of main access to important companie's building and retail stores, it is very often very empty of pedestrians as opposed to la Catherine. It looks like the people working on these buildings are running out as fast as possible from it once on the street level to go on Ste-Catherine's and be part of its crowd. What de Maisonneuve lack of is a soul.

As far as the intersection of Maisonneuve/Peel, I don't see how it could compete with its Ste-Catherine counterpart !! often described as the downtown's hubcap !!

As far as the Réso is concerned : I would not say that it is responsable for emptying the street level. Many days when the temperature is quite nice (even in winter) Ste-Cath is so crowded that one could wonder if there is any soul left in the Réso !!

Montréalers are humans and as such can't live indefinitely underground. There's a point when we need to take a breath of fresh air.

I know that I do. So very often i'll get to the surface just because I desperately need to see the daylight !!

Totally agree with you about winter weather.

I think if there were better quality stores on de Maisonneuve this could change. The retails spaces simply need to be repositioned effectively. I wonder if the effects of the old Drummond Court that used to cantilever over de Maisonneuve at 1200 still haven't been shaken yet?? That dark building hanging over the street made it very unwelcoming. It certainly felt like a dead end for a very long time.

Totally agree with you about winter weather.

I think if there were better quality stores on de Maisonneuve this could change.

Je crois que ce qu'il maque réellement au centre-ville c'est une rue de restaurants. Pensez-y, quand je veux une reu avec restos et terrasse, la seule option c'est St-Denis et c'est loin du centre-ville. Les trottoirs de Maissonneuve sont très large et pourraient très biens acceuillir des terrasses. Alors on aurait une rue resto parallèle a une rue magasinage, ce qui comblerait un manque surtout dans le coin de peel et un peu plus loin, bleury. Oui il y a Crescent, mais ça comment à être loin à pied de McGill. Et oui il y a les 2,3 restos du Complexe Desjardins, mais c'est vraiment insignifiant.

The problem in Montreal that I believe is the reason for the lack of street life is the underground city. It is an accepted vision that we continue developing the underground city, much to the detriment to street life.

We live in Ottawa and we NEVER go downtown in the winter for lack of a warm place to shop/walk. We actually drive or take the train to Montreal and RESO is one of the big reason why we do so; because we always know that whether it rains/snow or not, we will have an option.

I wished even more buildings were connected to RESO.

We live in Ottawa and we NEVER go downtown in the winter for lack of a warm place to shop/walk. We actually drive or take the train to Montreal and RESO is one of the big reason why we do so; because we always know that whether it rains/snow or not, we will have an option.

Now this is a very interesting comment !!