Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Envoyé par Ornello Mastrocola

"I guess will call it even with the 2005 World Aquatics Championship held in Montreal in which nobody wanted but our fair city. Last I remembered, we did not come out in the black."

Melbourne Australia, Rio de Janeiro Brazil, Long Beach California and Athens Greece bid for the 2005 Aquatics Championship (Melbourne hosted in 2007). Montréal won and was the first (and only) North American city to host. No other Canadian city was interested because no other Canadian city has the facillities to host such an event. The World Aquatics Championship is - next to the Olympics - the most important aquatics meet in the world. The Pan Am games are only a regional games - the Americas - that most elite athletes skip in order to compete in Europe. There's no comparison between the two. And yes, they lost 4$ million dollars but we were left with fantastic facillities (why do you think that such a disproportianate number of olympic athletes come from Québec?) and the spinoff benefits.

"Newsflash...In July 2007, Just For Laughs celebrated its 25th anniversary with a month-long festival in Toronto. A flagship festival in Chicago has garnered rave reviews and continues to prosper under the banner "Just for Laughs" If you remember Second City Television began in Chicago. Just for laughs is not only held in Montreal Habfanman but has and/or will expand Globally. If it hasn't already"

News flash... Just For Laughs Toronto 2007 was a 3-day festival, not a month-long festival (Team 990 again?). Just For Laughs Montréal is a month-long festival every year. And yes, it is expanding - not moving - because it is so successful. It has expanded to Chicago, Toronto, Bermuda and Nantes France. They also produce much of the Edinburgh festival in Scotland because they are successful, not because they're moving. And btw, you're confusing The Second City Improv, which began in Chicago and has expanded to Los Angeles, Toronto and soon, Montréal, with SCTV which began in Toronto and moved to Edmonton before going off the air in 1984. Second City Improv did not move from Chicago, it expanded to other cities because it's successful.

"Toronto doesn't need to steal. Montrealers will simply become aloof and loose it from right under their noses. Where was the GP last year? Montrealers and I do mean the politicians are not pro-active but always reactive. When we lost the the GP last year, only than did they react. As for the Toronto event, I heard it on Race line Radio on the team 990! I will look for the link. You can not jam 340,000 people in a city street racing environment. It's impossible. Torontonians do know how to party. TIFF is second to Cannes. They know how to party!!"

Which other city has hosted the Grand Prix in North America? For over 30 years? We lost it last year because of the insanity and greed of Bernie Ecclestone, not because we screwed up. The sponsors, teams and drivers made sure we got it back because we are the only city in North America able to host it. And you can jam 340,00 people (over 3 days) into a city street raceing environment if you have the audacity to build a track on a man-made island in the middle of a river. Why doesn't Toronto do it? They have the islands, all they have to do is run the subway out to them - like we did.

I don't know if you've ever been to TIFF - I have - and it's only a big party if you're in the industry or are willing to spend vast amounts of money. For the average person, it's a nightmare of lineups where you're lucky to get tickets for any of your choices unless you pay several 100$.

"Guy Laliberte if he is such a Nationalist, why doesn't he set up a Cirque de Soleil resident show in Montreal like he's been doing Globally, the last one being Dubai at the new Atlantis Resort. Like everyone, they go where the money takes them. He's not stupid."

No, he's not stupid. That's why he won't set up a resident show in Toronto. There are resident Cirque shows in only 2 cities: Las Vegas and Dubai. Both are Disneyesque entertainment meccas. They tour everywhere because they are successful. Again, you're confusing global success with some sort of indication of moving. Why on earth, of all the cities in the world where they could set up another resident show, would they pick Toronto? I hope they set up a resident show in Montréal but if they don't, I'll guarantee they won't be setting one up in Toronto.

What you should really be asking yourself is this: Why doesn't Toronto create something and export it to the rest of the world like Montréal does?

Modifié par Habfanman

• Réponses 41
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

"I don't know if you've ever been to TIFF - I have - and it's only a big party if you're in the industry or are willing to spend vast amounts of money. For the average person, it's a nightmare of lineups where you're lucky to get tickets for any of your choices unless you pay several 100$."

Uh no. I've been. It's popular, hence the line ups and but it's still very much a democratic festival that showcases film before anything else. The industry stuff is the icing on the cake for many (stargazers included) but first and foremost it's about discovering new talent and celebrating film. It maintains a good balance between industry and fan, unlike Cannes or Sundance. And anyway, Torontonians seem to line up for everything.

And by your logic the Pan Am games are "third rate" yet the World Aquatic Championships that no one has ever heard about are somehow a great event with spin-off benefits? Hmmm.

"What you should really be asking yourself is this: Why doesn't Toronto create something and export it to the rest of the world like Montréal does?"

Well apparently they've cornered the market on bitter ex residents...

Modifié par elketeigen

• 2 semaines plus tard...
Prada, Gucci, Louis Vutton and Armani will all move their headquarters to Montreal in a brand new glass skyscraper !??

If only, but nope.

I know of some people trying to make an "off-montreal fashion week" that will have more international designers, also more local and canadian designers. With buyers from different stores here and abroad.

Seeing many local designers are fed up with how things are run and want the world to see what Montreal really has to offer.

• 4 semaines plus tard...

Hope you're still lurking...

Uh no. I've been. It's popular, hence the line ups and but it's still very much a democratic festival that showcases film before anything else. The industry stuff is the icing on the cake for many (stargazers included) but first and foremost it's about discovering new talent and celebrating film. It maintains a good balance between industry and fan, unlike Cannes or Sundance. And anyway, Torontonians seem to line up for everything.

TIFF used to be democratic. Now it's all about 'VIP donors' getting preferential treatment and star-gazers standing in line forever to catch a glimpse of Brad or Angelina. It's beeen co-opted by Hollywwod dicks who breeze into town for a few seconds and then fuck off. The sadddest thing is: it has done nothing for Canadian film- moribund as ever, except in Québec. TIFF celebrates Hollywood, the rest is secondary. That's what we get from Toronto, our supposed 'English Canadian Cultural Leader'- more Brad, more Angie.

And by your logic the Pan Am games are "third rate" yet the World Aquatic Championships that no one has ever heard about are somehow a great event with spin-off benefits? Hmmm.

The World Aquatics Championship is THE qualifier for the Olympics.. nobody who's anybody misses it, and only a very few cities in the world have the facilities to host. Montréal was the only time that it has been held in North America.

The Pam Am games are a regional track meet that nobody cares about.. Winnipeg has held it twice.. and most elite athletes skip it because it doesn't matter. Even after hosting the Pan Am's, Toronto still wouldn't have the facilities to host the World Aquatics Championships.

As far as spin-off benefits: Ever wonder why a disproportionate number of Canadian Olympic athletes hail from Québec and not Ontario? Hmmm..

"What you should really be asking yourself is this: Why doesn't Toronto create something and export it to the rest of the world like Montréal does?"

Well apparently they've cornered the market on bitter ex residents...

Good non-answer!

You forget that Montréal has already hosted the 2 largest events that a city can host: the Summer Olympics and a full-fledged World Fair. No other city in the world has done both. Add to that, the largest sporting event that a city can host: Formula One, whereas Toronto has done fuck-all and will probably never do anything memorable.

Toronto is a wannabe, never has been, never will be anything but a second-rate American city.

Modifié par Habfanman

"You forget that Montréal has already hosted the 2 largest events that a city can host: the Summer Olympics and a full-fledged World Fair. No other city in the world has done both. Add to that, the largest sporting event that a city can host: Formula One, whereas Toronto has done fuck-all and will probably never do anything memorable.

Toronto is a wannabe, never has been, never will be anything but a second-rate American city."

Great accomplishments. 40 years ago. None of which you were around for and non of which YOU contributed to. Listen, no one is going to convince you of anything but answer me this, if you despise Toronto so much, why spend so much of your time commenting on every single thread that mentions it? You only seem to pop up on this forum when the city is mentioned to make some grand unhinged and untrue commentary, throw some mud and then slink away back under your rock until the next time. If that's not the definition of insecure and bitter...

Really, you give Montrealers a bad name. There are plenty of cities I've lived that I'm not fond of: I hate Boston, despise the entire state of Florida and I'm not a fan of L.A. (even though I could see myself living there), Seattle, Chicago, Rome etc. but I don't spend inordinate time during my day to hate on them or even think about them. I'm just confident I won't ever revisit or (re)inhabit them (except maybe L.A.) and have moved on. You should too!

Really, it's sad, your country is so fractured and regional and on some levels full of hate. It's what prevents it from moving from a mediocre nation to a good or great one and prevents people like myself from wanting to stay and be a part of it.

Modifié par elketeigen

Good non-answer!

You forget that Montréal has already hosted the 2 largest events that a city can host: the Summer Olympics and a full-fledged World Fair. No other city in the world has done both. Add to that, the largest sporting event that a city can host: Formula One, whereas Toronto has done fuck-all and will probably never do anything memorable.

Toronto is a wannabe, never has been, never will be anything but a second-rate American city.

London?

Paris?

Barcelona?

Sydney?

Melbourne?

Some cities have had multiple Summer Olympics and/or multiple World Fairs (like London, Paris, New York, Seattle, Chicago, Seville, etc.)

"You forget that Montréal has already hosted the 2 largest events that a city can host: the Summer Olympics and a full-fledged World Fair. No other city in the world has done both. Add to that, the largest sporting event that a city can host: Formula One, whereas Toronto has done fuck-all and will probably never do anything memorable.

Toronto is a wannabe, never has been, never will be anything but a second-rate American city."

Great accomplishments. 40 years ago. None of which you were around for and non of which YOU contributed to. Listen, no one is going to convince you of anything but answer me this, if you despise Toronto so much, why spend so much of your time commenting on every single thread that mentions it? You only seem to pop up on this forum when the city is mentioned to make some grand unhinged and untrue commentary, throw some mud and then slink away back under your rock until the next time. If that's not the definition of insecure and bitter...

Really, you give Montrealers a bad name. There are plenty of cities I've lived that I'm not fond of: I hate Boston, despise the entire state of Florida and I'm not a fan of L.A. (even though I could see myself living there), Seattle, Chicago, Rome etc. but I don't spend inordinate time during my day to hate on them or even think about them. I'm just confident I won't ever revisit or (re)inhabit them (except maybe L.A.) and have moved on. You should too!

Really, it's sad, your country is so fractured and regional and on some levels full of hate. It's what prevents it from moving from a mediocre nation to a good or great one and prevents people like myself from wanting to stay and be a part of it.

Thank you !! I appreciate the fact that this comment is coming from the outside. I'm trying to convince forumers here of what you just wrote. Enouhg whining !! However, I don't agree with your comment about Toronto being a wannabe : it's more and more a great north american city. Many american cities would trade their situation for the one this "wannabe" city is living.