Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

publicité
  • Réponses 140
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

I disagree... no one has the right to tell anyone what to do with their property and especially not the city. (unless it is a public hazard of course). We live in a free society don't we?

So expropriation is a perfectly acceptable concept...

...but enacting zoning laws that require land be developed along certain guidelines is not?

WTF?

I'm afraid your concepts of "free society" are a bit exaggerated here, gentlemen. Owning land does not entitle you to do whatever you want with it. You can't go about building a nuclear reactor just because it's a free society, and you can't let your inner-city lot become derelict and dangerous either. There are rules. And when it comes to parking lots, tougher rules should be enacted.

Modifié par Cataclaw

No you won't be able to do that because it's not zoned as such.

The only effective tool the city has is to tax the hell out of parking lots.

Expropriation is never a good solution except when public safety is in jeopardy.

On a side note, the city doesn't exerce it's right to expropriate properties that are dumps in the city. I don't see how it would find any legitimity expropriating a buisness that brings bread on a familys table.

Tax the hell out of surface parking lots...

...and give tax credits to multi-floor parking complexes incorporated in buildings and/or underground parking.

Expropriation happens all the time with highway construction and other things.. i don't see why parking lots couldn't give way to other things. A large monetary compensation puts bread on the table as well.

The rules ought to be clear and simple : develop your land, or sell it to someone who will. Parking garages and underground parking, sure thing. But surface parking lots in downtown gotta go.

Modifié par Cataclaw

...but enacting zoning laws that require land be developed along certain guidelines is not?

WTF?

I'm afraid your concepts of "free society" are a bit exaggerated here, gentlemen. Owning land does not entitle you to do whatever you want with it. You can't go about building a nuclear reactor just because it's a free society, and you can't let your inner-city lot become derelict and dangerous either. There are rules. And when it comes to parking lots, tougher rules should be enacted.

That's why he said "Unless it's a public hazard". Obviously you can't go build a nuclear Reactor anywhere you want...but the city can't tell you what to do with your surface parking lot.

That's why he said "Unless it's a public hazard". Obviously you can't go build a nuclear Reactor anywhere you want...but the city can't tell you what to do with your surface parking lot.

Well, dangerous or not, the bottom line stands. I say again:

Cataclaw, si il y avait un réelle demande, qqun serait aller voir le proprio de ce terrain et lui offrirait un prix ou un partenariat que le proprio ne pourrait pas refuser... puisque le promoteur croit avoir un retour encore plus intéressant.

Mais cette pression n'est pas présente à Montréal pour l'instant, sinon t'en fais pas, ce terrain va disparaître tout seul (il serait déjà disparu en fait avec son emplacement de premier choix).

Well, dangerous or not, the bottom line stands. I say again:

Anyone who buys a piece of land in the city -or anywhere for that matter- is very aware of the zoning and land-uses established before they even put in an offer to purchase. They are either planning to build a building or they are going to keep it a parking lot. A downtown parking lot in many cases is a lot more lucrative - especially if the density and zoning is restrictive and the constructions costs make building a poor investment.

As for expropriation - uh, no government should be getting involved in that unless they are planning to build a public facility or utility on it. (ie: library, widen roadways, etc...)

Internationalx: so you support expropriation (in certain cases) but you're opposed to better zoning and tougher laws against surface parking lots in downtown..?

The bottom line here is something i think we can all agree on: If there are people interested in building towers in Montreal, they shouldn't have to fight tooth and nail in order to do so. On the contrary, there should be incentives.

Just look at all this business with public consultations and exceptions.

Every building that's gone up in Montreal lately has had to fight to obtain modifications to the zoning to permit them to go up. Roc Fleuri, Louis Boheme, MacKay... we have to be vigilant and make sure quality products are offered, but at the same time we can't be so restrictive that nobody wants to come build here. A healthy balance is in order, one that is sorely lacking, but i digress...

Modifié par Cataclaw