Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

My, that sounds like a lot of disruption for Mr. Trent and some of his Westmount constituents. Not to mention those who feel the whole project is a waste of money and that the century old Royal Victoria Hospital is just fine as it is. Hopefully this thing has enough momentum that these naysayers will be minor echoes amid the construction din. Looking forward to touring the complex in 2014!

I hate politicians. If these people want to still use RVH, they should buy it and turn it into a private hospital for the people of Westmount.

publicité
Montreal borough threatens Westmount annexation

Last Updated: Friday, December 17, 2010 | 2:41 PM ET

Elected officials in the Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grâce borough are threatening to annex a part of Westmount over access to the building site for the new McGill University superhospital.

The argument hinges around Glen Road in Westmount, which is technically zoned as an emergency exit. The one-lane street is blocked off, preventing vehicles from entering the site through Westmount.

Côte-des-Neiges-NDG Mayor Michael Applebaum said as a result, all traffic is forced to go through his borough.

He said Westmount will benefit from the hospital, so the municipality should shoulder some of the burden as well.

"Let's share some of the inconveniences and allow the opening of this small little road," he said.

If Westmount won't play ball, Applebaum said, the province should intervene and transfer that slice of road from Westmount to the city of Montreal.

"I think that we're very serious. I think that Westmount has to realize that this hospital is extremely important," he said.

"We want to make sure that people are able to access this facility once it opens, and for that reason we would like them to be more generous and we're going to pressure all different representatives of the provincial government to try to get that resolved.

"If Westmount doesn't want to work with the City of Montreal, the MUHC [McGill University Health Centre], then we'll try to push to have that annexed."

'Whipping boy'

However, Westmount Mayor Peter Trent is opposed to the idea.

"I don't think annexing is the solution to problem resolution, so I don't think they're really serious about that."

Trent argued it was the city of Montreal that zoned Glen Road as an emergency exit five years ago.

He said the city and McGill have known about the problem for years, and he doesn't understand why they're taking action now.

"NDG can't annex anything under their own steam. It has to be done by Quebec, and Quebec has no stomach for annexation these days, I can tell you that … but I think the problem is both the MUHC and Mr. Applebaum were aware of this problem five years ago," he said.

"The MUHC did not plan properly, and now we're supposed to be the fall guy for a lack of planning on the part of the MUHC and the city of Montreal. I don't see why we should be the whipping boy."

Spokesperson Julie Paquet told CBC News the MUHC has also been asking for access along Glen Road, but those requests have been denied.

She said MUHC is anxious to see the issue resolved and the option of annexation is worth considering.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/12/17/montreal-westmount-annex.html#ixzz18cWY9B4d

Could you imagine if Montreal annexed part of Westmount?? :eek: