Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Time for Quebecers to be more open: report

Shake off angst. Get used to living in globalized society, Bouchard-Taylor report urges

JEFF HEINRICH

The Gazette

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Learn more English, be nicer to Muslims, get better informed.

Those are just some of the ways the unhappy French-Canadian majority in Quebec can shake off its angst about minorities and help build a truly open society in a globalized world, say the authors of a much-anticipated report for the Liberal government on the "reasonable accommodation" of minorities.

In several chapters of the final draft obtained by The Gazette, Gérard Bouchard and Charles Taylor argue the "discontent of a large part of the population" over demands by Muslims, Jews and other religious minorities "seems to us the result of partial information and false perceptions." The chairpersons of the $5-million commission address a number of what they call "unfounded objections" to the role of religion in Quebec society, mostly voiced by old-stock francophones during three months of highly publicized hearings last fall.

Rebutting those objections, Bouchard, a prominent Chicoutimi sociologist and historian, and Taylor, a world-renowned Montreal philosopher, lay out their vision of a new Quebec coming to terms with kirpans, hijabs, kosher food and other expressions of non-Christian cultures.

In Quebec, they say, everyone should feel welcome and the majority should no longer feel under threat by newcomers.

"We think it is possible to re-concile Quebecers - franco-phones and others - with practices of harmonization, once it has been shown that: a) these practices respect our society's fundamental values, notably the equality of men and women.

b) they don't aim to create privileges but, rather, equality that is well understood and that respects everyone's rights.

c) they encourage integration and not marginalization.

d) they're framed by guidelines and protected against spiralling out of control.

e) they're founded on the principle of reciprocity.

f) they don't play the game of fundamentalism.

g) they don't compromise the gains of the Quiet Revolution." The final draft is dated March 19, two weeks before the commission announced on its website that the writing of the report was finished and that, after adding a series of recommendations, proofreading the document and translating it into English, it would be sent to the printers.

The official report is now in the hands of Premier Jean Charest, who is to present it to cabinet on Wednesday. After a budget-style "lock-up" behind closed doors for journalists Friday morning, the commissioners will hold a news conference to discuss their findings.

Broken down into half-a-dozen parts, the voluminous report has more than a dozen chapters and almost as many annexes consisting of a series of research reports, independently produced under special order by the commission.

Their subjects relate to the accommodation debate, including media coverage, ethnic ghettos and French-language training for immigrants.

In their report, Bouchard and Taylor - but mainly Bouchard, who did the bulk of the writing, insiders say- argue that the responsibility for open-mindedness and desire for change lie mainly with one people: the French Canadians themselves.

"It's principally from this milieu that the crisis arose," the commissioners write, adding that many French Canadians "have a strong feeling of insecurity for the survival of their culture." They fear losing their "values, language, tradition and customs" and of eventually "disappearing" entirely as a French-speaking minority in North America.

Self-doubt and "the fear of the Other" - are "the two great hindrances from the French-Canadian past," the commissioners write.

"In the past, the threat came mainly from the anglophone. Before that, it was the lifestyle brought on by industrialization. Today, for many, it's the immigrant." What Quebec now faces is not the traditional "deux solitudes" of French and English, but rather "deux inquiètudes" - the twin anxieties of the majority and the new minorities, the commissioners say.

The "members of a strong ethnocultural majority fear being submerged by minorities who themselves are fragile and worried about the future, especially immigrants trying to find their feet in their adoptive society," write the scholars, who in footnotes liberally quote from oral testimony as well as written briefs presented at the hearings last fall.

Bouchard and Taylor also compare Quebec's immigration situation with that of other provinces, noting that Quebec has far fewer immigrants (11.5 per cent per capita, compared with 28 per cent in Ontario and British Columbia, and 16 per cent in Alberta) and far fewer ethnocultural minorities generally (21 per cent in metropolitan Montreal vs. 46 per cent in Toronto and 40 per cent in Vancouver).

Quebec's accommodation crisis dates to March 2006, when the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in favour of a Montreal Sikh teenager who wanted to keep wearing his kirpan, the traditional ceremonial dagger of baptized orthodox Sikh men, to school.

A series of media-fuelled controversies over demands for accommodation by religious minorities followed.

For example: The Association of Maritime Employers agreed to re-examine its workplace rules after orthodox Sikh truck drivers objected to wearing safety helmets instead of their turbans at the Port of Montreal.

A Montreal YMCA frosted the windows of an exercise room so that ultraorthodox Jewish neighbours wouldn't have to watch women exercising.

And Montreal policewomen were advised in a training brochure to let their male colleagues take charge when visiting Hasidic neighborhoods.

The "scandals" came to a head in January 2007 with the publication of a "code of life" by the village council of Hérouxville in the Mauricie region, in which foreigners were advised that public stonings and female circumcision were not allowed in the community.

Faced with the polemic over that declaration and fearing unrest over immigrants and religious minorities on the eve of a provincial election campaign, Charest quickly announced the formation of a special commission to look into accommodations and defuse the crisis: the Bouchard-Taylor commission.

In their report, the commissioners say that in hindsight the accommodation crisis was largely a media phenomenon - but, they add, it was no invention.

"The media didn't create the crisis over accommodations, but their message fell on fertile ground." Elsewhere, they call on the media to show more "self-discipline" and rigour in reporting on ethnic communities and their representatives, some of whom - like deported Tunisian imam Saïd Jaziri - got wide coverage despite having little or no credibility.

Although "what has happened in Quebec sometimes gives the impression of being a showdown between two groups of minorities (French Canadians and the ethnic minorities), each of whom wants the other to accommodate it," there are many ways to avoid a fatal confrontation, the commissioners say.

People should get used to the idea that "Quebec is made up of diverse ethnic groups, each of which, as is its right and in its own way, cultivates its own memory" - in other words, none is more valuable than the other.

The two commissioners - who each collected a salary of $380,000 for their work - also: Declare themselves in favour of more funding for community groups that try to bring cultures together.

Argue against race-based projects that segregate people from mainstream society (such as a proposed all-black school).

Lament the "wasted careers" of foreign professionals who can't find work here because their credentials aren't recognized.

Deplore that only three per cent of Quebec public-service jobs are held by immigrants, "one of the worst situations in North America." Blame the Quebec media for being generally "very 'old-stock,' very 'white' (and) by consequence, they broadcast an often biased image of a (multicultural) reality that a lot of people don't know well enough." But Bouchard and Taylor also - surprisingly - come to the defence of Hérouxville, which made headlines around the world.

"In a very awkward and excessive way, the Hérouxville text expressed a tension, an ambivalence many French-Canadian Quebecers have," the commissioners write.

Finally, they make a plea for better understanding of Quebec's Muslims, "who only make up two per cent of the Quebec population, about 130,000 people," who are "massively francophone and highly educated," who are "among the least devoutly religious of all immigrants," and who are "the least ghettoized" geographically in Montreal.

"The way to overcome Islamophobia is to get closer to Muslims, not to run away from them," the commissioners state.

"Mistrust breeds mistrust. Just like fear, it winds up feeding on itself."

jheinrich@ thegazette.canwest.com

SOUNDOFF!

How has reasonable accommodation affected your life? What do you think of the Bouchard-Taylor findings? Do they go far enough in addressing concerns about the state of minorities in Quebec? What other issues do you think should have been addressed? Share your views and catch up on stories and testimonials from the hearings at montrealgazette.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2008

• Réponses 28
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

politically sensitive much? .. don't want to start another flame war

I think the report has it right on. Uneducated people are the ones who perpetuate stereotypes and reinforce racism. People need to be exposed to diversity, and not this mono-cultural melting pot quebec nationalists tend to reinforce.

I started studying at Concordia three years ago, and admit I was a little uncomfortable at first, coming from a mostly-white, overwhelmingly English West Island College, but now I can't get enough of the diversity here. Getting to know different cultures and meeting people from all over the world is amazing, I think if everyone were exposed to this, 'accomodations' would be a non-issue.

• Administrateur
Uneducated people are the ones who perpetuate stereotypes and reinforce racism. People need to be exposed to diversity, and not this mono-cultural melting pot quebec nationalists tend to reinforce.

i fail to see how Québec is different in this aspect to any other parts of the world with uneducated people...

It's not different .. people who live in the middle of saskatchewan, kansas, or hérouxville are just as likely to be ignorant simply because they are not exposed to other cultures like we are in Montreal, so they rely on stereotypes to base their feelings about immigrants / other cultures

I've heard stories of Quebecers going down to Florida and giving residents there a hard time, because the residents did not speak french LOL.

Plus they need to start changing the laws to help get more doctors in Quebec and what not.

Soon we will have no doctos, and god knows what else. I have the feeling which ever party in power will start blaming god knows who for this. Which will be quite pathetic.

I've heard stories of Quebecers going down to Florida and giving residents there a hard time, because the residents did not speak french LOL.

Attention aux légendes urbaines à connotation anti-Québécois, c'est encore l'ignorance et le salissage basé sur la peur de la différence.

Ceci dit, ce qui est un peu différent avec le Québec qu'ailleurs en Amérique du Nord: c'est que nous, les québécois francophones, nous grandissons dans une culture de protection, nous sommes constamment "menacés" par le vaste océan anglophone, nous sommes des irrisistibles gaulois, la langue française est en danger de disparaitre, etc.

Avec le résultat que nous avons toutes les misères du monde à accepter des gens venus d'ailleurs, jusqu'au moment ou' leurs enfants parlent NOTRE langue, avec NOTRE accent, là 98 pc du problème est résolu. Que tu t'appelles Rachid ou Binh Ann, si tu parle à la québécoise, tu es des nôtres, non plus une menace.

J'espère que collectivement , les québécois sauront passer outre cette culture de méfiance envers "l'étrange", et voir notre statut de minoritaire linguistique sur le continent comme un levier, un atout, pour nous, et que ce n'est pas en poussant contre ou en re-poussant les envahisseurs que nous allons nous en sortir.

Important: en écoutant l'info à la radio, un des conseillers à Taylor-Bouchard dénonce l'article de The GAzette, affirmant que le quotidien a sauté sur des conclusions qui ne reflètent pas du tout le rapport final , i.e. qu'il y aurait un blame envers les francophones, c'est faux, disait-il.

Learn more English, be nicer to Muslims, get better informed.

Well, as in the rest of Canada, people living in almost entirely unilingual cities (or neighbourhoods) will doubtfully need another language. For instance, my sister is a psychologist in Longueuil and her clientele is 100% francophone. She's going through life without barely speaking english at all -and she's just across the St-Laurent from Montréal. So, I suppose that a farmer from deep inland rural Québec won't ever need english at all !! I would like these two disconnected guys to telle us what is the percentage of Quebecers that speaks english ? and in Montréal, what is the percentage of francophones that are bilingual ? as opposed to Jewish, or Sikh, or Chinese ?

How nicer can I be to muslims. By opening doors for them ? giving them my seat on the subway ? Knocking at their door to offer them "sucre à la crème" ? I mean : at best, I don't get in their way, I ignore them !! Shouldn't I ?

In Quebec, they say, everyone should feel welcome and the majority should no longer feel under threat by newcomers.

This is almost an understanding. However, it is not newcomers the Quebecers are fearing but those who are challenging universal values (such as equality between boths genders).

"We think it is possible to re-concile Quebecers - franco-phones and others - with practices of harmonization, once it has been shown that: a) these practices respect our society's fundamental values, notably the equality of men and women.

Now, when all muslims will accept that women are free to choose not to wear the veil ; when all muslims will accept that women can pray in the same room as men ; same for Jewish ; on short when some members of any kind of groups will accept this fundamental value of equality, there won't be anymore problems. Until then, we'll have to promote thoses values -impose them if necessary to those who choose to come to live in our society.

Therefore the reccomandations below are making absolute sense

b) they don't aim to create privileges but, rather, equality that is well understood and that respects everyone's rights.

c) they encourage integration and not marginalization.

d) they're framed by guidelines and protected against spiralling out of control.

e) they're founded on the principle of reciprocity.

f) they don't play the game of fundamentalism.

g) they don't compromise the gains of the Quiet Revolution."

In their report, Bouchard and Taylor argue that the responsibility for open-mindedness and desire for change lie mainly with one people: the French Canadians themselves.

That will not be well received !! I personnally do not agree. If I go live in another country, I'm expected to make an effort to integrate to the majority. If I think that any country won't correspond to my own values, I won't try to settle down ther. For instance, I would not want to settle down in Irak, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc...

"It's principally from this milieu that the crisis arose," the commissioners write, adding that many French Canadians "have a strong feeling of insecurity for the survival of their culture." They fear losing their "values, language, tradition and customs" and of eventually "disappearing" entirely as a French-speaking minority in North America

Self-doubt and "the fear of the Other" - are "the two great hindrances from the French-Canadian past," the commissioners write.

"In the past, the threat came mainly from the anglophone. Before that, it was the lifestyle brought on by industrialization. Today, for many, it's the immigrant." What Quebec now faces is not the traditional "deux solitudes" of French and English, but rather "deux inquiètudes" - the twin anxieties of the majority and the new minorities, the commissioners say..

Now, what have we learn here that we didn't know already ? We actually paid them for that ?

Bouchard and Taylor also compare Quebec's immigration situation with that of other provinces, noting that Quebec has far fewer immigrants (11.5 per cent per capita, compared with 28 per cent in Ontario and British Columbia, and 16 per cent in Alberta) and far fewer ethnocultural minorities generally (21 per cent in metropolitan Montreal vs. 46 per cent in Toronto and 40 per cent in Vancouver).

They should have pointed out here that there is also another difference between the ROC and Quebec : the fact that the ROC is part of the big almost entirely unilingual english cultural north-american context as opposed to Quebec, where the majority is feeling threatened by the brinks of extinction (even if is might be exagerated, it's there). Therefore, comparing immigration numbers here is almost like comparing oranges and apples.

Quebec's accommodation crisis dates to March 2006, when the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in favour of a Montreal Sikh teenager who wanted to keep wearing his kirpan, the traditional ceremonial dagger of baptized orthodox Sikh men, to school.

A series of media-fuelled controversies over demands for accommodation by religious minorities followed.

For example: The Association of Maritime Employers agreed to re-examine its workplace rules after orthodox Sikh truck drivers objected to wearing safety helmets instead of their turbans at the Port of Montreal.

A Montreal YMCA frosted the windows of an exercise room so that ultraorthodox Jewish neighbours wouldn't have to watch women exercising.

And Montreal policewomen were advised in a training brochure to let their male colleagues take charge when visiting Hasidic neighborhoods.

All of the above proving that the minorities that are not pleased with our universal values -or would like us to adapt to theirs- are proof to the limits of the majority's capacity for acceptance of minoritie's demands.

People should get used to the idea that "Quebec is made up of diverse ethnic groups, each of which, as is its right and in its own way, cultivates its own memory" - in other words, none is more valuable than the other.

That I hoped was and obvious understanding. unfortunately, it is not the case. However, there are rights and there are obligations. Cultivating one's memories doesn't mean trying to impose it to the majority.

The two commissioners - who each collected a salary of $380,000 for their work -...

That's a lot of money for what they came out with !!

Argue against race-based projects that segregate people from mainstream society (such as a proposed all-black school).

Totally agreed.

Lament the "wasted careers" of foreign professionals who can't find work here because their credentials aren't recognized.

I hope this one won't be left aside !!

Deplore that only three per cent of Quebec public-service jobs are held by immigrants, "one of the worst situations in North America." Blame the Quebec media for being generally "very 'old-stock,' very 'white' (and) by consequence, they broadcast an often biased image of a (multicultural) reality that a lot of people don't know well enough."

Well observed !!

Finally, they make a plea for better understanding of Quebec's Muslims, "who only make up two per cent of the Quebec population, about 130,000 people," who are "massively francophone and highly educated," who are "among the least devoutly religious of all immigrants," and who are "the least ghettoized" geographically in Montreal.

Probably true but in a time of confrontation between the muslim world and the occidental culture, we shouldn't lower our guard anyway.

"The way to overcome Islamophobia is to get closer to Muslims, not to run away from them," the commissioners state.

I left behind me the archaich ways of the christian values. I won't get to close to the archaich values of any other religion.