Aller au contenu
publicité

Données et actualités démographiques - Montréal / Montréal métropolitain

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

Minorities to rise dramatically by 2031: StatsCan

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 | 9:51 AM ET

The Canadian Press

About one-third of Canada's population – up to 14.4 million people – will be a visible minority by 2031, Statistics Canada projects.

The projections suggest the face of Canada will continue to be dramatically altered over the next three decades, with white people becoming the visible minorities in Toronto and Vancouver.

In 1981, there were about one million Canadians who identified themselves as visible minorities, representing less than five per cent of the population.

The largest visible minority group is projected to be South Asian, which includes people from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Immigration is also expected to boost the percentage of foreign-born people in Canada to between 25 and 28 per cent in 2031.

By 2031, most visible minorities – 71 per cent – are projected to live in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, building on a trend that has seen immigrants move to urban centres in large numbers.

The largest porportion by far is projected to live in Toronto, where Statistics Canada says 63 per cent of the population will be a visible minority, up from 43 per cent counted in the 2006 census.

In Vancouver, the population of visible minorities is projected to reach 59 per cent, up from 42 per cent in 2006.

In Montreal, the population of visible minorities is projected to reach 31 per cent, more than double the 16 per cent counted in 2006.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/03/09/statscan-minority.html#ixzz0hhIkH188

publicité
  • Réponses 361
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Nous savons très bien qu'il est impératif de s'assurer de BIEN intégrer les immigrant au Québec. Mais si nous pouvons le faire comme du monde, une des conséquences "heureuse" de cette augmentation serait un boom immobilier. Pas juste des condos, mais de tout! Des Maisons, des mAisons de ville, des condos, des appartements, des nouveaux commerces etc.etc.etc.

Non seulement est ce que ce serait une boom immobilier, mais ça aiderait le Québec à ratrapper le terrain perdu face au R.O.C. (nous ne représentons plus que 23.2% de la popualtion canadienne). Si nous sommes capables d'augmenter ce chiffre à 25%, nous aurons une meilleur position face au ROC quand viendra le temps de négocier avec eux sur tout plein de choses!

More immigrants would mean more real estate construction. Furthermore, other businesses would benefit from more people coming to Quebec, such as builders, architects, engineers, trades people, furniture providers, appliance manufactures, more people taking the STM/AMT, more people shopping at Pharmaprix/Jean Coutu, more people shopping at retailers, more taxes for the government (to pay off debt), more money for Videotron/Bell, more flights coming to Trudeau Airport, more money for the media via advertising, more shows, more spectacles, more (diverse) ideas for improving our quality of life, more major league sports other than hockey, more students to pay university tuitions (that will increase), a larger demographic so we can demand more from Ottawa/Quebec City etc... Last week, the leader of the ADQ said <<Le Québec doit crée un plan de richesse>>, without even mentioning that immigration should be the foundation for such a plan. This week, l'Assemblée nationale has <<La défense de la langue française et l'affirmation de l'identité nationale>> as their main discussion points. As if immigrants are the problem and their coming to Quebec is ruining this "utopia" we've been creating since the Quiet Revolution. In Quebec, we seem to not understand this simple equation: More people = more things, which make more money for more people and that attracts more people. It's a self fulfilling prophesy. The problem in Quebec (as usual) is that we want to urinate and ejaculate at the same time. We want to preserve our linguistic and cultural character by looking for immigrants from French speaking nations, even though these Haitians, Arabs and North Americans have less money and are less productive than immigrants from East Asia and South Asian who tend to go to places toronto and west. We want to be open to immigrants, yet still we want to stipulate what language they can be educated in and comment on how they express themselves culturally. We want immigrants to integrate into our society, but we don't make them feel welcomed when they watch our popular TV shows on TVA and Radio-Canada and see giant billboards along autoroutes with no or just token representations of themselves, just because we want to express our Quebecois character. We'll have to make compromises somewhere if we want this great place called Quebec to continue. I don't want Quebec to become the Greece or the Turkey of North America, I want Quebec to be the envy of North America. In order for that to happen we'll have to slay or starve some of our sacred cows like excessive social programs, the educational portion of Bill 101 (since having signs in French is enough) and the insistence that our Quebecois culture should be as <<pure laine>> and <<de souche>> as we can get away with.

For those who are separatist who've read the above, there won't be much of a Quebec left to turn into a country if we don't get more immigrants fast by making some compromises. I will write this in French, lest you say you can't (or chose not to) understand: Pour ceux qui sont séparatiste qui viens juste de lire a l'au-dessus, il n'y aura pas un Québec riche pour faire un pays si nous n'obtenons pas plus d'immigrants rapidement en faiant quelques compromis.

In New York, you can sell shit on the street and get rich!! Why? There's just soo many people, so many clients.

New York, the USA, Canada to a lesser extent, based its growth on the numerous waves of huge immigration influx. Today they are one of the richest and most powerful nation on Earth.

Canada has still a long way to go to reach some sort of critical mass to assert its position on the world stage. Same thing for Montreal and Quebec, Montreal needs to be in the 6M range to achieve the self prophecy on attracting people because it has more people... that loop guarantees a certain number of developpment only based on organic growth.

New York always has a few 50 stories towers in construction bad or good times, that's because even if the city grows its economy by 0.1%, that tiny amount is enough to spur lots of developpment.

Speaking as someone who is planning to immigrate to canada, and more precisely quebec, I can say that quebec could make it easier for immigrants.

I studied french in montreal, one of my teachers was a radiologist from algeria but for him to work in his field in quebec he had to take a lot of exams in the span of a few years, and he studied in france.

He sent his resumé and got hired in a hospital in switzerland, that's it, no tedious tests, no long waits, why can't quebec be like that, they lost a radiologist and a fluent french speaker to la suisse. I'm not saying that professionals shouldn't be accredited by quebec, but man they could make the process more simple.

I've heard a lot of people who wanted to immigrate to quebec but it was such a hassle that they went to other provinces, quebec should focus on attracting professionals, not just francophones.

I work for a high tech international company here in mexico, apparently I'm good enough for them but I know I'll have to jump through a lot of hoops to be recognized as an engineer in quebec and I still plan to move there, I guess that tells you how much I like montreal right?

^ SPQR, I agree completely. Instead of prioritizing immigrants from la Francophonie, we should instead be prioritizing educated and skilled immigrants. If they happen to be from the Francophonie, great. If not, well then that's why we have free French courses. It is easier to teach someone basic French than it is to teach someone how to be productive. What I don't want are people who will leach off of the system, live off welfare or commit crime. Unfortunately we are getting some less desirable people (mixed in with desirable people). This would not be a problem if we restricted immigration to educated and skilled people only (and their families).

I also agree that both Quebec and Canada need to recognize more foreign credentials. I can understand that there might be skepticism over the equivalence of some degrees, but a lot of countries have reasonably good universities, despite being poor. And we're desperate in a lot of fields. Particularly medicine. Doctors should not be driving cabs. The purpose of immigration is to fill in the gaps in our work force.

Regarding engineering. I know a couple of guys, originally from Northern Africa, who have engineering degrees (one from UQAM and the other from UQAT). Neither of them work in engineering. One is a security guard at a movie theatre, the other is selling cell phones for Virgin Mobile at a mall. I'm not sure if they are having trouble because there is not a lot of jobs in engineering at the moment or for some other reason.

SPQR...when you finally do make it to Montreal, make sure to let us know! We will all go out and celebrate!!!

I agree mostly with what boht of you are saying. I do like to see immigrants who can speak french, but if they don't but are willing to learn, we should make things easier for them as well. Well qualified people are always a good thing for a society!

Someone I know was an engineer from Syria, and had a Masters Eng. from France.

He went to Concordia, did some classes here and there, took about a year part time, and he got admitted in the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec.

That wasn't too hard. The guy still could work and pay his rent, so it's not all misery.

Regarding engineering. I know a couple of guys, originally from Northern Africa, who have engineering degrees (one from UQAM and the other from UQAT). Neither of them work in engineering. One is a security guard at a movie theatre, the other is selling cell phones for Virgin Mobile at a mall. I'm not sure if they are having trouble because there is not a lot of jobs in engineering at the moment or for some other reason.

MTLskyline, tell your friends to try to get a job with SNC Lavalin, Dessau Soprin or Groupe SM. I know some people who work for those companies. Their very good engineering firms, especially SNC, which sends employees on a wide range of projects all over the world. Getting a job with an engineering firm in Quebec is not a difficult as it may seem. Instead of trying for a position as an engineer, tell your friends to get a job working in their laboratory as a technician - and work their way up. Most large firms in Quebec have their own labs that do testing on aggregates, asphalt, concrete and other construction materials. Dessau Soprin has two labs, one in Longueuil and one in Laval (both called LVM Fondatec). SNC Lavalin's lab is Terratech in St.Laurent. Le Groupe SM's lab is in Longueuil and I think they have one in Varennes. MTQ is desperately looking for civil engineers and most Quebec Government departments are desperately seeking visible minorities (Since 2000, the MTQ has been hiring visible minorities, women and Natives before anyone else, so try them.) Then there's Sanexen in Varennes that specializes in environmental engineering and the geotechnical engineering firm Inspesol in St.Laurent (I know a black woman from NSBE who works for them as an engineer). I saw a story on Radio-Canada last week that said engineering firms have grown a lot in Quebec. The firms I mentioned above are the best.

Minorities to rise dramatically by 2031: StatsCan

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 | 9:51 AM ET

The Canadian Press

About one-third of Canada's population – up to 14.4 million people – will be a visible minority by 2031, Statistics Canada projects.

The projections suggest the face of Canada will continue to be dramatically altered over the next three decades, with white people becoming the visible minorities in Toronto and Vancouver.

In 1981, there were about one million Canadians who identified themselves as visible minorities, representing less than five per cent of the population.

The largest visible minority group is projected to be South Asian, which includes people from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Immigration is also expected to boost the percentage of foreign-born people in Canada to between 25 and 28 per cent in 2031.

By 2031, most visible minorities – 71 per cent – are projected to live in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, building on a trend that has seen immigrants move to urban centres in large numbers.

The largest porportion by far is projected to live in Toronto, where Statistics Canada says 63 per cent of the population will be a visible minority, up from 43 per cent counted in the 2006 census.

In Vancouver, the population of visible minorities is projected to reach 59 per cent, up from 42 per cent in 2006.

In Montreal, the population of visible minorities is projected to reach 31 per cent, more than double the 16 per cent counted in 2006.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/03/09/statscan-minority.html#ixzz0hhIkH188

These are astonishing statistics. Montreal's percentage of visible minorities is interesting. At first, 31% seems small compared to Toronto's 63% and Vancouver's 59%, but right now the second most diverse city in the world is New York with 37%. New York has been hovering at around that percentage for decades, while Toronto has over taken them and it now 51% foreign-born (since visible minority after 50% is an oxymoron). Just think, in 20 years Montreal will be almost as diverse as New York now. If these numbers come true, all of Canada's 3 largest cities will be the top 10 most diverse cities in the world. Right now Toronto 1 and Vancouver is 7. Montreal is 21. Maybe Calgary will make the top 25...see that's why our country is filled with so much optimism.

Thank the Lord, Sidney Crosby scored that goal!

Diversity and visible minorities aren't a one to one relationship. I hate these studies that prioritize visible difference. Like Irish, French, Russians and Danes and all homogeneous. Like an immigrant from India brings more diversity then an immigrant from Italy.