Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

I'm in business school partially because I want to work in an upper floor of a downtown office tower. ;) (and I also find it interesting) Engineers tend to work more often in two storey buildings in industrial parks.

I am sub-par in science and only above average in mathematics, so obviously Engineering is a little too involved for me (although business courses are nothing to sneeze at either..)

My brother (who doesn't visit this site) is probably going into engineering though. He's thinking about building engineering at Concordia, or mechanical engineering at McGill.

Tell him to avoid Concordia at all costs! ;)

• 2 mois plus tard...
publicité
  • Réponses 214
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

I wondered why it looked so quiet around there and then I realized you took these photos on a Sunday!

Anyways, those buildings have really improved the area. But they are really the only highlight in what is a fairly run down, depressed area in general. I hate all of those identical concrete slabs with the blank walls. Talk about ugly. And yet, when this building was originally proposed, local residents complained about its height!!

would make the perfect canvas for a huge mural ..

Projet porteur...simple à réaliser, peu coûteux. Beaucoup de ces édifices horribles se trouve à proximité de Concordia. On pourrait mettre les étudiants en Art des universités montréalaises sur le coup : on leur donne un mur (ou deux dans le cas de certains édifices) à couvrir d'une oeuvre. Je l'ai fait moi-même avec une école secondaire en Guadeloupe. Je travaillais au Club Med là-bas et juste à côté des bureaux que j'occupais dans l'hotel (La Caravelle) j'ai offert à une classe de faire une murale.

C'est un peu plus compliqué pour une tour ( surtout au niveau de la sécurité) mais très réalisable.

Projet porteur...simple à réaliser, peu coûteux. Beaucoup de ces édifices horribles se trouve à proximité de Concordia. On pourrait mettre les étudiants en Art des universités montréalaises sur le coup : on leur donne un mur (ou deux dans le cas de certains édifices) à couvrir d'une oeuvre. Je l'ai fait moi-même avec une école secondaire en Guadeloupe. Je travaillais au Club Med là-bas et juste à côté des bureaux que j'occupais dans l'hotel (La Caravelle) j'ai offert à une classe de faire une murale.

C'est un peu plus compliqué pour une tour ( surtout au niveau de la sécurité) mais très réalisable.

Excellente idée..Il me semble que ce serait assez facile à faire, et cela ne causerait pas d'incovenients pour qui que ce soit!?

• 5 mois plus tard...

A major problem with the design of this building is the elevator arrangement... there are stairs up to the 3rd floor, and six elevators (IIRC), in addition to two emergency/fire staircases. The result is during a class change and etc, the lineups at the elevators is ridiculous and the delay significant. Congestion, again :D

The EV building alongside doesn't have as much problems, mostly because the rooms are either offices or research labs. Also this building has stairs that serve 3 floors at a time (somewhat strange arrangement).

The much older Hall building relies mostly on escalators instead of elevators, of which there are only two general purpose units, recently replaced and enlarged at great cost and to poor effect (frequently busted or they kick into overload status). The escalators work well in theory but always at least one and usually many of them have tripped the breaker and turned off (according to one professor I met, he said he was there for the ribbon-cutting ceremony in 1965 and the escalators still weren't working...)

Another confusing aspect that is more the fault of the City, in front of an entrance to the building on Guy St. (alongside the alleyway and TD building), the city has put a large curb-cut (bateau) of the pedestrian type. Of course this is in the middle of Guy St. so no pedestrians can or should be using this, and you can't drive into the doors. People park their cars in front of it thinking it is good and then get a ticket, because it is a curb cut... it doesn't make any sense.

The auditoriums suck particularly in seating aspect. However, the classrooms are kickass. The stack of newspapers on the 4th floor is also interesting, but come on, the Globe and Mail? Can't we get a little National/Financial Post here? :D

Modifié par Cyrus