Aller au contenu

Tours à bureaux au dessus de la Gare Centrale - 25, 25 étages

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

What belongs in a canon of architecture goes beyond the subjective "I like it" or "it looks nice". I am far more critical of style and design as an architecture student.

My likes:

1250 (IBM Marathon)

CIL House (Telus)

CIBC

Place Victoria

Westmount Square (complex should have been finished according to plan though)

PVM (though this barely makes my list these days because it has been tampered with so much- the plaza was destoyed and the shopping concourses made all post-modern)

Banque Canadienne Nationale

My dislike list: architecture or buildings I just don't get or that are wrong for their respective site

Bell/Banque Nationale

PCI I and II

Laurentienne (Peel at R-L) - so hostile to its neighbors, dark, imposing, NOT elegant.

Place du Canada (office building)

Mediocre architecture: nice but certainly nothing worthy of being a celebrated piece of architecture

Place Montreal trust

1501 McGill College

CCE

• Réponses 114
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

What belongs in a canon of architecture goes beyond the subjective "I like it" or "it looks nice". I am far more critical of style and design as an architecture student.

My likes:

1250 (IBM Marathon)

CIL House (Telus)

CIBC

Place Victoria

PVM (though this barely makes my list these days because it has been tampered with so much- the plaza was destoyed and the shopping concourses made all post-modern)

My dislike list: architecture or buildings I just don't get or that are wrong for their respective site

Bell/Banque Nationale - ??

PCI I and II - ??

Laurentienne (Peel at R-L) - so hostile to its neighbors, dark, imposing, NOT elegant, a forgettable building

Place du Canada (office building) - treats St Antoine like a back alley

Mediocre architecture: nice but certainly nothing worthy of being a celebrated piece of architecture.

Place Montreal trust

1501 McGill College

CCE - filler project, at the end of the day, forgettable

1000 - the best of the bunch simply because it is such a pure form of post modernism

My likes:

1250 (IBM Marathon)

CIL House (Telus)

CIBC

Place Victoria

Bell/Banque Nationale - ??

PCI I and II - ??

Laurentienne (Peel at R-L) - so hostile to its neighbors, dark, imposing, NOT elegant, a forgettable building

Place du Canada (office building) - treats St Antoine like a back alley

Mediocre architecture: nice but certainly nothing worthy of being a celebrated piece of architecture.

Place Montreal trust

1501 McGill College

CCE - filler project, at the end of the day, forgettable

1000 - the best of the bunch simply because it is such a pure form of post modernism

Good list. It's very true that the last great tower built in this city is the 1250 René-Lévesque. But in terms of office buildings, I think the CDP Center is a major achievement in this town. Some of the stuff in La Cité Multimedia aren't bad either. They conjures between them to create an interresting, dense, almost new-european kind of urban fabric.

There is so many "bad" stuff, it's hard to single out one worst project. But I do have a special hatred for the Bell-BC twins. So massive and un-elegant. And they hide the lovely historical Bell headquarters on Beaver Hall. What a shame. A single, slender, higher tower would have been more indicated, assuming it would have rised on the corner of University and let the space open for the original Bell building.

I find Bell-National towers to be pretty neat. They are so futuristic looking although massive, they make a pretty good statement from the Victoria Square. I also like all the 45 degrees angles, they sure don't make'em like that anymore, everything has to be 90 degrees or curvy now but it's a good statement of its time ie early 1980s. They should have been higher, though.

I love Montreal Trust and 1501 McGill College, I find them luxourious looking and pretty unique. They make for a very nice and original McGill College avenue.

What I hate are those 1970s brown boxes that popped up along President Kennedy, ie 2020 University or 2001 University, for exemple. So brown, so concrete looking, no personality. Typical 1970s.

I'm into architecture as well (i've designed close to 20 buildings in 3D) and i'm shocked that you would call the 1000 mediocre. Travesty! Blasphemy!

;) Architectural taste is a subjective thing, no matter how you slice it.

I love my 1000! :goodvibes:

Well, I appreciate 1000 because it is so pure a post modern building.

LOL... President Kennedy around Union... the Chernobyl of development. I know who built all those buildings. Torn down all Grey stone houses. Let's just say there are a few structures there that can torn down and the sites redeveloped in the future. That parking garage is one of the.

There is so many "bad" stuff, it's hard to single out one worst project. But I do have a special hatred for the Bell-BC twins. So massive and un-elegant. And they hide the lovely historical Bell headquarters on Beaver Hall. What a shame. A single, slender, higher tower would have been more indicated, assuming it would have rised on the corner of University and let the space open for the original Bell building.

I feel EXACTLY the same! That Bell building is SO beautiful yet it is lost. I agree that a taller better proportioned tower would have been better suited on the University side, perhaps with a plaza on the Beaver Hall Hill side.

That is the problem with building all the same (more or less) height; buildings are drowned out and nothing stands out.