Aller au contenu
publicité

Ouvrages d'art - Antenne Rive-Sud

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

publicité
il y a 38 minutes, cprail a dit :

Je n'ai pas le talent de @Megafolie mais je peux témoigner de l'installation de deux nouvelles poutres en ce 28 mars!

Excellent résultat @cprail:thumbsup:

J’ai hâte de voir la suite autant du côté sud que du coté nord du canal!

On 2019-03-27 at 11:52 AM, amaist said:

200 hundred years from now there will be groups demanding we preserve the currently "ugly" pillars and not build the fancy vacuum tube maglev line because it will be spoiling the view. I imagine by then the turning bridge will either rust away completely or gets recycled due to depletion of iron ore sources and lack of oil for making new plastics forcing a shift to reusable and recyclable metal construction of almost everything.

Iron is one of the most abundant elements in the earth's crust. I suspect that as rich deposits get rarer, we'll figure out ways to get more efficient. Also, there are active plans to mine asteroids. Who knows what we'll be able to do once we do get there. There are some asteroids made up of minerals which are rare on earth which on their own, contain more when what we've mined since the we've discovered them, and there's a very large quantity of them out there. It might be that we'll discover far better alloys, or that we already know of those allows, but just don't have the quantities necessary to make use of them on a large scale.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Enalung said:

Iron is one of the most abundant elements in the earth's crust. I suspect that as rich deposits get rarer, we'll figure out ways to get more efficient. Also, there are active plans to mine asteroids. Who knows what we'll be able to do once we do get there. There are some asteroids made up of minerals which are rare on earth which on their own, contain more when what we've mined since the we've discovered them, and there's a very large quantity of them out there. It might be that we'll discover far better alloys, or that we already know of those allows, but just don't have the quantities necessary to make use of them on a large scale.

All very true. But... It all boils down to how much energy we have available to do all that. Less rich deposits take more energy to extract useful material. Asteroids? So far the energy cost of sending anything out of Earth's surface even to low earth orbit is a bit absurd. Can we eventually solve those problems? Possibly. Right now our energy sources are a bit problematic. Solar and wind are still being mastered. Other stuff will either run out or kill us first. 

In any case, I don't think the new concrete and painted steel REM infrastructure is that terrible. It's purposeful and appropriate for it's time. The remnants of the industrial revolution around Lachine canal are also not Guggenheim worthy pieces, either. I bet when they were built there were some people upset with how they spoil the look of the place. But it was built for a purpose and served it well at the time. Now it is part of history. The same will happen to REM pillars and beams.

• Like 1

Il y a 2 heures, Megafolie a dit :

29 mars 

(non, je ne suis pas dans le train aujourd’hui!) 😋

D08A7D65-D6E7-4C4C-BEE9-94A19E0248D9.jpeg

BAA2C9C7-8607-4778-9EC4-317DA1BCAAB1.jpeg

EE542FCA-8FA9-47C6-A1FE-5B4CBFA8EBF5.jpeg

253B7251-F885-4F6D-ACA0-51064308E96E.jpeg

7B5CC504-FB54-4265-BAD7-D2A657034994.jpeg

7D46C770-5C0A-4482-B5C3-16E51015252C.jpeg

Au début j’étais pas certain de l’impact d’une aussi grosse structure, aussi haut à côté de lancien pont de train, mais avec ces photos je pense que le contraste du vieux et du nouveau va donner un coup d’œil vraiment intéressant! 

• Like 2