Aller au contenu

Maison Alcan (agrandissement) - 38 étages (2015)

IluvMTL

Messages recommendés

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/figure-skating-birthplace-faces-demolition

How does a national historic site designed by two of Canada’s most famous architects become a no-name building facing demolition?

Even the canadian government didn't want it and sold it. How's that for a national historic site?

Now its the birthplace of figure skating? Are you kidding me?

It's like The Gazette has a team of interns exclusively working on digging up a ton of meaningless information about this property in an effort to start some form of controversy.

Next up on the Gazette's portfolio: "Ste Catherine Street Sewer Work Should Be Halted! Some fur trappers may or may not have killed a rabbit here 300 years ago."

In the article it says that it's the same architects that built the MMFA & the tower of Chateau Frontenac, Birks...

''But in fact, the two-storey, block-long building — built in 1912 by the celebrated architects Edward and William Maxwell — played a founding role in the history of organized figure skating in Canada. The Maxwell brothers “developed one of the most important offices in the history of architecture in Canada,” said architectural historian Susan Wagg.They are best known for designing the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, the landmark tower of the Château Frontenac in Quebec City, Birks’ jewellers, the Saskatchewan Legislative Building and many mansions in the Golden Square Mile and St. Andrew’s, N.B.''

sent via Tapatalk

Modifié par IluvMTL

Now its the birthplace of figure skating? Are you kidding me?

It's like The Gazette has a team of interns exclusively working on digging up a ton of meaningless information about this property in an effort to start some form of controversy.

Next up on the Gazette's portfolio: "Ste Catherine Street Sewer Work Should Be Halted! Some fur trappers may or may not have killed a rabbit here 300 years ago."

The Victoria skating rink disappeared in 1913 . There is nothing to preserve but memories ,for those of us that might be 120 years old or more.

Modifié par greenlobster

While I am a huge proponent for new development downtown - especially when it brings new businesses to the city - I don't see why we are pushing for the redevelopment of a site that was already redeveloped, and quite nicely at that. I'm not 100% opposed to the project, but there are so many other sites that direly need some new life injected into them. I could easily make a list of dozens of buildings/street corners that could benefit much more from a solid group of developers like those involved in this project. I know it's too late now, but it would have been much more impactful for this group to target a site that was more deserving of a facelift.

Nous revenons aux pratiques de démolitions sauvages de l'époque de l'administration Drapeau. Quelle tristesse. Nous sommes misérables.

À l'époque de Drapeau ils ne conservaient pas les façades. Mainteant oui.