Aller au contenu

Pont Jacques-Cartier: informations, discussion générale et actualités

Habsfan

Messages recommendés

Before and After

Réserver une des 5 voies sur le pont pour les piétons et cyclistes les fins de semaine, durant l’été ou bien lors des congés de la construction via le déplacement de glissières afin de promouvoir la mobilité active et faciliter accès universel au parc Jean-Drapeau

Piste_Multi.png

5eVoie Reservee_000.png

• Like 2

Il y a 5 heures, IluvMTL a dit :

Before and After

Réserver une des 5 voies sur le pont pour les piétons et cyclistes les fins de semaine, durant l’été ou bien lors des congés de la construction via le déplacement de glissières afin de promouvoir la mobilité active et faciliter accès universel au parc Jean-Drapeau

Piste_Multi.png

5eVoie Reservee_000.png

J'aime bien l'idée.  Elle est dans le même esprit que les fermetures de routes panoramiques durant une partie des fins de semaine et de toute la saison hivernale: réservées aux piétons et cyclistes trois saisons, skieurs de randonnée en hiver.

• Like 2

Une piste multifonctionnelle élargie ou un palier surélevé  

Une piste à explorer à plus long terme pour le pont serait d’élargir la piste multifonctionnelle de façon permanente, ou bien de construire un palier (surélevé) au-dessus de la piste  actuelle. 

Le palier serait dédié aux piétons en assurant un accès universel entre l’ascenseur (que j'ai proposé  dans un autre fil) pour le secteur des Faubourgs puis l’entrée du parc Jean-Drapeau. La piste multifonctionnelle actuelle serait réservée aux cyclistes. Le trottoir  de l’Est (du pont) pourra rester ouvert pour les piétons avec la possibilité de descendre sous le pont pour joindre l’ascenseur proposé.

Pieton_Sureleve_002.png

• Like 1

I love these ideas.👍🏼

I think the only way to be able to remove a traffic lane from the bridge to dedicate to active transport would be if structural additions are made to public transport between Montreal (Village-Gai, Centre-Sud, Ste-Marie),  ÎSH/ÎND and Longueuil. Whether that takes the form of a new tram along the route we’ve discussed a few times already, or significantly better buses (perhaps connecting Metro Frontenac with an eventual PSC REM station), it will be a necessity.

They definitely need to improve the pedestrian/cycling path on PJC. It's way too narrow. The pedestrian/cyclist clash is not even the biggest problem. It's the wide range of cyclists using the path. From Bixi noobs and families to full-on MAMILs. The disparity of speeds and skills is very dangerous.

The picture of the temporarily widened path is misleading. It's not possible to configure it this way for the whole length of the bridge. In the parts through the superstructure the path is separated from the roadway. The only solution is to have a barrier thin enough to be stored by the side of the roadway that can be moved out to dedicate a full lane to a segregated cycling path. I don't know if that is feasible.

Having used both PJC and the new Pont Samuel de Champlain paths there is absolutely no comparison. I really enjoy my new 4 billion dollar bike path.

15 hours ago, amaist said:

They definitely need to improve the pedestrian/cycling path on PJC. It's way too narrow. The pedestrian/cyclist clash is not even the biggest problem. It's the wide range of cyclists using the path. From Bixi noobs and families to full-on MAMILs. The disparity of speeds and skills is very dangerous.

The picture of the temporarily widened path is misleading. It's not possible to configure it this way for the whole length of the bridge. In the parts through the superstructure the path is separated from the roadway. The only solution is to have a barrier thin enough to be stored by the side of the roadway that can be moved out to dedicate a full lane to a segregated cycling path. I don't know if that is feasible.

Having used both PJC and the new Pont Samuel de Champlain paths there is absolutely no comparison. I really enjoy my new 4 billion dollar bike path.

Section between the parc des Faubourgs and the parc Jean-Drapeau

The parc Jean-Drapeau recently adopted a wonderful development plan that will gain in popularity.

https://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/en/2020-2030-conservation-design-and-development-management-plan-parc-jean-drapeau-montreal/#presentation

The river that separates us is only 500 metres wide here.  The bridge is the quickest way of getting there for residents the Faubourgs. I am convinced that bike & pedestrian traffic will increase significantly on the bridge.  It took them a long time to do this, but year-round cycling is now permitted on the bridge. Winter conditions, and considering the slope,  must be less than ideal for cycling on a narrow path. Ignoring the increase in usage and dangers of the present configuration is like hiding your head in the sand. 

For the pilot project, you don’t have to use the moveable barriers for the whole length of the distance between the 2 parks.  Other options could be used in the middle section.  You would need to conduct a feasibility study to see what measures are possible and which could be taken.   

I am no expert, but a few things come to mind for Section 7, the main span which is 590 metres long.

• The existing multipurpose path would become pedestrian only path between the parc des Faubourgs and the entrance to parc Jean-Drapeau.
  • Besides rush hours, 2 lanes are normally to vehicles in each direction, so the 5th lane is not always used (especially on the weekends). Overhead lights signal which lanes are open.
  • Could cones or other separators be used on the 590 metres central section on weekends?
  • Could the speed be reduced on weekends to make it safer for cyclists?

Medium term

• Could the lanes be narrowed slightly, just enough to allow moveable barriers to be added to the side?
  • Could the existing barriers be replaced by moveable ones?

Longer term

• Could the multipurpose path be extended a few metres outward (over the river)?
  • Could an elevated pedestrian walkway be added above the multipurpose path?

This is 2021. I’m sure engineers could find other methods for temporary and permanent solutions. They have to figure a way to accommodate more bikes & pedestrians. This bridge was built almost a century ago. This is not the same Montreal as it was then. They have to adapt to present and future needs.

That is why I suggest a pilot project. You need to first evaluate different scenarios.

The image below shows the overhead light signals for the 5 lanes and the permanent barriers to the side.

image.png.2dec041614a75dd55dc862cac8dd07ba.png

• 2 semaines plus tard...
2 hours ago, IluvMTL said:

Aperçu des AmiEs du courant Sainte-Marie d'une voie réservée pour la mobilité active sur le pont

Je mettrai quand même une séparation physique entre cyclistes et piétons car ça va flyer à toute allure en descendant je vous le garanti. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Belvédère du pont Jacques-Cartier

Une autre piste à explorer dans l'éventualité que la proposition d'utiliser la 5e voie pour les cyclistes les fins de semaine est retenue à plus long terme. 

Si possible, créez un accès direct au belvédère pour les cyclistes (+ touristes en Bixi...) à partir de la 5e voie pour les personnes qui veulent faire une halte.

Ceci pour ne pas être obligé de partager la piste piétonne pour s'y rendre. Malgré le fait que c'est assez prés du côté sud (plus près du parc Jean-Drapeau). C'est environ 100 mètres.Belvedere_Pont_1.png

Blevedere_Pont_.png

Belvedere_Pont_3.png

Belevdere_Pont_100_metres_Screenshot 2021-07-12 152918.png

• Like 2