Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 34
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Pour les artistes de ''l'heure'', c'est à dire ceux qui sont très actifs et relativemements jeunes alors j'opte pour:

1: Pierre Lapointe (magique)

2: Yann Perreault (du sang nouveau)

3: Luc De la rochelière (avec son nouvel opus)

4: Paul Cargnello (que je découvre de plus en plus)

5: Daniel Bélanger (bien sur)

Et pour les ''plus vieux'', c'est à dire ceux qui sont dans le décors depuis toujours:

1: Ferland

2: Dubois

3: Michel (Jacques)

4: Lévesque (Raymond)

5: Rivard (avec ou sans beau Dommage)

Mention spécial pour des vieux pop-rock oubliés comme April Wine et Gino Vanelli, des légendes comme Felix Leclerc, Leonard Cohen et Oscar Peterson, des québécois d'adoptions comme Zachary Richard et Luck Mervil, des classiques comme Kent Nagano, Alain Lefèvre et Yannick Nezet-Séguin

Selon moi, les trois meilleurs groupes québécois furent Harmonium, La Bottine souriante et les Co-locs.

Et je ne peux terminer sans oublier Jean Leloup pour son originalité et Eric Lapointe pour son agressivité et sa présence sur scène.....de plus, il possède un son rock assez pure.... un peu hors norme mais c'est ce qui fait son style, qu'on aime ou non.

La voix du Québec: Ginette Reno !

Mais il y en a tellement.....tellement !

Moi j'aimerais entendre les anglohpones de ce forum nous dire quels artistes/groupes francophones ils aiment bien, et pourquoi ?

Modifié par steve_36

Moi j'aimerais entendre les anglohpones de ce forum nous dire quels artistes/groupes francophones ils aiment bien, et pourquoi ?

Steve, I've discovered so many artists since moving here that they are almost too numerous to list! There is a kind of parallel universe of music in Québec that you never hear about in English Canada.

Some of my favourites are (and I'm sure I will forget some)

Jean Leloup- before I moved to Montréal, I asked a friend to send me some representative francophone music She sent me his 'best of' and I became an instant fan. He can do any style.

Daniel Bélanger- I first heard him on the soundtrack of the film 'l'audition'. Rêver Mieux is one of my favourite albums ever. I can't wait to hear his new one 'Nous', where he is moving into funk. Brilliant singer/songwriter

DobaCaracol- Saw them at my first St-Jean.. beautiful, and Caracol's solo album is great.

Karkwa- One of the most talented bands I've heard, remind me of Radiohead

aRTIST oF tHE yEAR- awesome electro-funk, great fun to see live-I've seen them 6 times!

We are Wolves- incredibly innovative, you have to see them live!

Vincent Vallières- caught him at l'autre St-Jean this summer and was mesmerized.

Ghislain Poirier- I've seen him everwhere spinning with everybody!

Misteur Valaire- These guys are incredible. Seeing them live is an experience!!

Ariane Moffat- I'm stating to work through her catalogue now and she's fabulous.

Les Dales Hawerchuk- These guys ROCK!

Champion- if there is a 'Montréal sound' then this is it. I was worried about the loss of Betty Bonifassi but Pilou is excellent. Champion at Metropolis is a show you'll never forget!

Duchess Says- WOW! Annie-Claude is so capitivating live and a complete nutjob. Not pop-punk bullshit.

Malajube- I haven't seen them live but I need to.. soon!

Yann Perreau- saw him do a crazy set at Piknic and just getting into him

Then there are anglo or franco/anglo acts like Beast (WOW!!), National Parcs, The Dears, United Steel Workers of Montreal, Creature, Bran Van 3000, Leonard Cohen (international legend!), The Stills, The Besnard Lakes, Mellissa auf de Maur, Parlovr, Claass, Arcade Fire, Patrick Watson, Clues, Kid Koala... hip hop, which I'm not very familiar with...jazz, blues, folk... fuuuuck!! The music scene here is mental!!

I find that francophones are more likely to be into both scenes whereas anglophones are more likely to stick with anglo bands but I think that's changing.

Steve, I've discovered so many artists since moving here that they are almost too numerous to list! There is a kind of parallel universe of music in Québec that you never hear about in English Canada.

Well, ravi de constater que ta liste d'artistes francophones est très diversifié, très originale et assez éclectique. Non seulement elle me surprend mais il y a meme des artistes que je ne connais pas ou très peu alors bravo pour cette implication et cette ouverture d'esprit. Tu as l'air bien branché sur la scène musicale de Montréal et c'est tant mieux.

Mais ou étais-tu avant de déménager à Montréal ?

Je vais prendre ta parole lorsque tu dis qu'il y a un ''parallel universe of music in Québec that you never hear in english Canada''. Je présume que cela est une bonne chose car non seulement ça diversifie l'offre mais cela doit forcément jaillir sur le niveau d'originalité et de créativité.

C'est vrai, Jean Leloup is quite something !!!

Lorsque tu dis ''whereas anglophones are more likely to stick with anglo bands but I think that's changing.'' Est-ce que tu parles des anglos de Montréal ou du ROC ?

Je crois que beaucoup de petits groupes undergrounds punk/ska/... ont apportés beaucoup à la scène musicale montréalaise, mais je ne saurais dire si le style fonctionne encore beaucoup.... Planet Smasher, The Saint, Roller Starter, j'en oublie très probablement...

With all the hype surrounding the Brooklyn indie rock scene these days, it's easy to forget that only a few short years ago Montreal was hailed as the next-big-thing in music. Such claims were made for good reason: with Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, The Dears, Stars, and Islands to name a few, it's no wonder everyone from Pitchfork to The New York Times took notice. And while Brooklyn may have usurped the title and become the new hotbed of indie-hipster culture, Montreal more than lives up to its name and continues to produce some of the highest quality music in the country - arguably in the world - from a new generation of bands.

Cue M for Montreal, the music festival organized to promote the music made in this unique cultural kaleidoscope. Beginning in 2006 to showcase emerging Montreal bands to international delegates, the festival has played host to the who's who of current Montreal music, including Patrick Watson, Karkwa, Coeur de Pirate, and Land of Talk. In recent years, the festival has become less Montreal-centric, opening its doors to bands from outside of the city and even outside of the province. This year's festival included bands from as far away as Vancouver and Charlottetown.

M for Montreal isn't your normal festival; except for the city it barely resembles Pop Montreal, and it's more concise than industry powerhouses like SXSW and CMJ.

"When you go to those other events, SXSW or CMJ or Pop, there are maybe a hundred or two hundred shows happening at the same time," says M for Montreal music programmer Mikey Bernard. "All those industry people who are there, they're doing their own thing. Bands from Montreal who go to [these festivals] pay about $5,000 to go out there. They're not even guaranteed to be seen by anyone because there are too many things happening."

How to solve this problem? Instead of hundreds of bands descending on the city and playing numerous geographically improbable venues (as anyone running up and down St. Laurent during Pop Montreal can attest), the festival houses itself in one venue per evening. Last Friday, M was at the Just for Laughs Theatre, dividing the six nightly artists amongst its two rooms, the Cabaret and Studio.

The set-up worked wonderfully: one band played while the other set up and sound checked. When the set finished you walked 20 metres over to the other room, waited five minutes, and the next band started. The back and forth organization not only saved time and helped the showcases flow, but most importantly allowed the audience to see every band - no tough picking and choosing required.

"It's perfect because every band has their chance," says Bernard.

Apart from being incredibly well organized, each night of this year's festival brought together an eclectic and talented line-up. Thursday night saw incredible performances from Montreal's Miracle Fortress and out-of-town buzz bands The Rural Alberta Advantage and You Say Party! We Say Die!, all of whom are set to break out very soon, at least by indie rock standards. However, the night belonged to Montreal's best-kept-secret Think About Life, who incited the biggest dance party of the evening complete with a fan stage invasion and a surprise appearance by Cadence Weapon.

Friday saw the likes of experimental punks DD/MM/YYYY play an intense set of rhythmic electronica, while hometown alternative popsters Parlovr (pronounced "Parlour") ended their set with their guitar player in the crowd. Finally, Silver Starling showcased their excellent songwriting skills with their anthemic indie pop to a thinning crowd, though I doubt their crowds will stay small in the future.

The huge M for Metropolis finale concert was on Saturday, and featured a host of Montreal artists including Melissa auf der Maur, Malajube, DJ Champion, and Fucked Up - winners of the 2009 Polaris Music Prize. A bit of a dark horse on the bill, Fucked Up vocalist Damian Abraham says he enjoys the challenge of playing to new crowds.

"It's a really weird, diverse bill and I like playing to people that don't necessarily like us," says Abraham. "I don't like playing to necessarily hostile crowds but I like when people don't know what we're going to do."

The sad thing was that most people didn't even stick around to find out what that was. The room emptied out almost immediately after DJ Champion's set, leaving only dedicated fans and press to witness one of the best live shows in Canada. Perhaps most disappointing was the deserted delegate area, all of whom were apparently too good to be bothered by a Toronto hardcore band.

Nevertheless, Fucked Up still played as though the room was full of hardcore fans. Abraham was in his usual form: shirtless and smashing things into his head. In fact, he spent the entire show in the scattered audience, wrapping himself in his microphone cable, picking up audience members, rolling on the floor, and sliding down banisters.

"There are more people documenting this show than watching it," proclaimed Abraham midway through the set.

Seeing all of this play out in an empty Metropolis and not a dingy dive bar was stunning and something likely to never happen again. It might have been one of most unique Fucked Up shows ever, and that's no easy feat.

"A show like this is guaranteed to be, if nothing else, interesting for everyone," Abraham correctly forecasted before the set.

M for Montreal is a rare event - a festival that understands that quality over quantity is the key to success. For the most part, the festival only confirmed what most people already know: Montreal and Canada have a world-class music scene with a bright future. And it shouldn't be taken for granted.

http://media.www.mcgilltribune.com/media/storage/paper234/news/2009/12/01/AE/M.For.Montreals.Talent.Extends.Beyond.Quebecs.Borders-3842101.shtml

ha ha j'étais à M pour Montréal les vendredi et samedi, et c'était vraiment poche pour Fucked Up, dont la crowd est passée de + de 1000 personnes à - que 100, juste après Champion. et 100 personnes dans le Metropolis, ça a l'air vraiment vide.