Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

Pataclaw est encore enceinte?

:goodvibes:

How did everything go?

I had an emergency, had to take my girlfriend to the hospital :| Everything's alright though... mostly...

Did the NIMBYs make a lot of fuss?

publicité
  • Réponses 641
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Bien content de voir que la consultation s'est si bien déroulée !!

Les chances de voir cette tour dans notre ciel augmentent !! :goodvibes:

Et pour répondre à la question de je ne sais plus qui... si le projet passe par l'OCPM c'est un très bon signe de son évolution. Même si certains projets qui sont passés par l'OCPM n'ont jamais vu le jour, celui-ci me donne bonne impression.

Buffet Maharaja owner Ali Khan wants to build an eight-storey hotel and 34-storey condo tower at the corner of René Lévesque Blvd. and Mackay St.Photograph by: Panzini Architects, Panzini ArchitectsThe owner of what's billed as the largest Indian cuisine buffet in North America has grandiose plans to incorporate the restaurant into a 34-story downtown hotel and condominium complex.

Ali Khan, whose sprawling Buffet Maharaja is located in one of four heritage buildings of his along René Lévesque Blvd. W., has a budget of about $80 million to invest in the project, which is awaiting city approval to proceed.

The businessman said yesterday he's been working for eight years to have zoning changes made to the properties he owns in the block between Guy and Mackay Sts.

One of them is already a boutique hotel, the 20-room Hôtel A2K.

It is adjacent to the two buildings that are home to Buffet Maharaja and that would be made part of Khan's proposed eight-storey, 140-room hotel.

That hotel, which would be built on 15,000 square feet of vacant parking space he also owns, would form the base of the condo tower behind the row of his Victorian buildings.

Khan said he has a deal with "a very well-known hotel brand everybody knows," but won't disclose the name until the project is approved.

His most recent acquisition two years ago was the Henry Club on the corner of René Lévesque and Mackay, which is being transformed into the MN nightclub.

It, too, will be combined with the three other buildings in what he described as a fashion similar to the Alcan Building on Sherbrooke St.

There has been some opposition to his plans that was brought forward during public consultations, the most recent this past Tuesday.

The Conseil du patrimoine de Montréal, which likens Khan's tower to the 162-floor Burj Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, has expressed concerns about the cumulative effects such a large building would have on that part of René Lévesque.

The municipal organization also argues not enough information has been made available and that there's a lack of studies conducted on the proposal.

While Heritage Montreal spokesman Dinu Bumbaru notes there are "some good aspects like saving the row of greystones," he added the project may also be "maybe too ambitious for that area."

Bumbaru also is "a bit wary of a project popping up like this just before an election."

Project architect Michelange Panzini yesterday argued "the city needs projects like this before an election."

Pointing out the current lack of construction cranes in the city, Panzini stressed the importance of politicians being able to announce such projects.

mking@thegazette.canwest.com

© Copyright © The Montreal Gazette

Ali Kahn is my new hero

How can a 34 story project for that part of town be too ambitious? I just don't understand. An 80 story condo tower on Nun's Island ... maybe. But 34stories downtown?

We talk about density, brining people to live in the city, keeping downtown vibrant and alive, let's discourage urban sprawl etc. but it gets a little difficult if anything taller than 23 stories is deembed too ambitious!

One hopes with the mayor's latest musings on how we have to stop bitching about every project that presents itself in the city and move forward will help get this one approved. When looking at what this guy is looking to accomplish with that part of R-L it would be a crime to turn his project down.

How influential is this tool bag Bumbaru... can he sway the zoning changes?

I do think he has influence, but this project is in the bag, despite any nonsensical rambling Bumbaru might put up.

I really think it's green light all the way for this one! 99% sure!

Looking at this rationally:

1) The area residents are overwhelmingly in favor

2) The local business community is in favor

3) The city likes the proposal

4) It will be election time soon, and Tremblay needs a statement

There really is no reason why this project shouldn't materialize...

However, for some reason, and I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, I have a bad feeling. Time will tell.