Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

Narcissistic spoiled NIMBY brats. That's all i have to say.

(The people demanding this wall, not all of Westmount... just so we're clear.)

I can't believe this Trent asshole, going with the car tax and with this stupid hospital thing. And he is running the association of demerged cities, we demand a recall! :D He can go back to the Plateau with the other idiots.

It is a friggin hospital not a shopping centre and the noise is only during construction, not an actual feature of the thing like say a freeway would make noise. Suck it up! Especially considering right alongside is the Decarie, the Ville-Marie, the Turcot construction, the bus terminal at Vendome, the TRAINS that make all those poorly made houses shake and rattle and they are complaining about a little jackhammer or what? I don't think they'd be able to hear it even if they wanted to!

Why should they install a helipad when Quebec is the only major province to not have an emergency helicopter service?

We don't have an emergency helicopter service? Damn... we need our own STARS :D

Modifié par Cyrus

publicité

I was at Vendome yesterday, waiting for the train, and I was able to see the construction site for the first time... it is MASSIVE. I mean, I had an idea of how big the site might be, but it just exceeded every impression I had. It was pouring rain, but they were still working away... I encourage anyone who might be in the area to check it out!

• 2 semaines plus tard...

When all is said and done, there should be 5-7 cranes on the site.

I also came across an interesting article the other day. I don't know if it has already been posted:

Montreal ‘super-hospital’ will be Canada’s largest

RON STANG

correspondent

MONTREAL

For decades this enormous tract of land was known as the Glen Marshalling Yard, where the Canadian Pacific Railway parked railway cars for its passenger trains.

Now it’s one of the country’s largest urban construction projects, a 43-acre site that will become Montreal’s so-called “superhospital” — combining several existing hospitals and health institutes — as the Glen Campus of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC).

Almost two decades in the making — pre-construction design started almost 10 years ago — the hospital, which is slated to open in 2014, will be Canada’s largest.

The Glen combines such storied health institutes as the Royal Victoria Hospital and Montreal Chest, along with the Montreal Children’s Hospital and Shriners’ Hospital for Children. There will also be a cancer centre, research institute and Centre for Innovative Medicine, which will integrate research and teaching alongside patient care.

Excavation started in June under the auspices of Quebec construction titan SNC-Lavalin. The 30-year P3 consortium includes a phalanx of international and Quebec-based firms including Innisfree Ltd., IBI Group, HDR Architecture Canada, Yelle Maillé Architects, Pomerleau Inc. and Simard-Beaudry Construction.

The three-million square-foot facility, at a cost of $1.3 billion, will be one of the first anywhere to feature 500 entirely private patient rooms, helping to cut down on the spread of infections and aid in healing. Some $90 million in infrastructure work around the project — including a new ramp to the city’s downtown Ville-Marie expressway — is also taking place.

New pedestrian entrances – through a tunnel to the city’s Vendome intermodal transit station and an overhead walkway from busy de Maisonneuve Blvd. — will also be constructed. While the Glen will be an entity unto itself with surrounding green space, the overall footprint will extend to de Maissoneuve as MUHC has purchased existing office buildings along the commercial strip.

“The location is absolutely phenomenal,” said Yanaï Elbaz, MUHC’s director of redevelopment. The campus is in a densely urban location a few kilometres west of the city core, with striking views of the downtown, Mount Royal and the St. Lawrence River’s south shore from the campus’s perch atop the St. Jacques plateau.

After MUHC purchased the site from the CPR, brownfield cleanup took one and a half years. The massive excavation got underway in mid-summer with as many as 1,000 truckloads a day in a 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven-day-a-week operation.

“It’s moving along very fast,” Elbaz said. Excavation should wrap up in December while foundation work including retention walls and piling — and even some of the cement structure pour — will be well underway. “By next summer you’ll see that the whole campus has been built,” he said, with slabs up to nine storeys in place. As many as 2,500 construction workers will eventually be on site.

The main entrance will be off Decarie Blvd. on the west, with vehicles directed to a mammoth two-floor underground parking garage under the campus’s “front lawn.” Staff parking will be in a detached six-storey structure on the opposite side.

The main building, built to Silver LEED standard, will be curved. This isn’t just for aesthetics, but for function. There will be five “pavilions” — each representing a distinct hospital or institute — said Robert Hamilton, principal with Lemay Associés architects and special project adviser.

The curved interior “streets” with intersecting glass atriums at the “gaps” where the buildings come together will make for ease of pedestrian movement. The main corridor will offer central access to the separate institutes as well as a mall with retail services such as cafes, gift shops and pharmacies.

At 770 metres in length, the building is large but Hamilton said “design principles” mean the public has to walk only relatively short distances to the hospital where they have appointments. “The patient has a seamless public experience,” Hamilton said. “The destination is clear and easy to understand.”

For example, when parents take their child to the Montreal Children’s Hospital, it will be clearly set off from other institutes. “The atrium and that street is the place that defines the children’s Hospital’s character and destination,” he said.

In contrast to this clarity and simplicity, the campus will have extensive “back of house” collaboration and integration. In close proximity will be loading docks, emergency services, diagnostics and surgery, with as many as 20 operating rooms. “So there’s an amazing efficiency to the operations here that we can’t achieve” at the geographically separate facilities, he said.

Charles Chebl, a senior vice-president with SNC-Lavalin, said this is the biggest health project his company has worked on. He said the schedule is highly integrated with much of the construction and design taking place alongside one other.

“We are entering into the design-development phase,” he said. “And all these issues will be discussed and completed (during this time).”For the next 10 months this is what we will be doing.”

Article link: http://dcnonl.com/article/id41560

I can't wait for actual renderings....

• Like 1

Thats something, having the largest hospital in Canada in our own backyard. Plus with CHUM getting new buildings and JGH adding another Pavilion.

The largest hospital in the US is in NY "New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation", thing is its in different buildings. List of the best hospitals in the US (List) and the best hospitals in the world (List). The worlds largest hospital in the world is located in South Africa, it has some 3200 beds.

Modifié par jesseps

My, that sounds like a lot of disruption for Mr. Trent and some of his Westmount constituents. Not to mention those who feel the whole project is a waste of money and that the century old Royal Victoria Hospital is just fine as it is. Hopefully this thing has enough momentum that these naysayers will be minor echoes amid the construction din. Looking forward to touring the complex in 2014!