Aller au contenu

Ouvrages d'art - Antenne Rive-Sud

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

3 hours ago, AR SD said:

For short and medium span bridges precast concrete girders are considerably cheaper than steel girders. However for longer spans or when there is limited road clearance it is not structurally feasible to use concrete girders.

Yeah that’s all understandable, but we will never know why it’s 100% concrete (voussoirs) for the 15+ km in the West Island (including some long spans back and forth over the 40), but deck-over-beams (a hodgepodge of steel and concrete) for PSC and Brossard.

4 hours ago, Kolev3000 said:

BF365AF7-3672-45F3-B434-C9A2DC71A359.png.69a1ce21aa2fd8b0b0a7f9622c50583c.png

Right... I'm diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. I both agree and disagree with that statement. I've definitely felt others judging me, and yet, it is also a fact that I judge society rather harshly. I definitely feel like I have something that I can contribute to society, but I also feel that society does not value what I have to contribute. Emotions are something that I understand through that rationality filter, and as a result, I can have trouble connecting with other peoples. I'm generally not interested by small talk, and indeed, I avoid those conversations as much as possible. They tend to irritate me and I find them rather draining. I'm someone who is rational and does not let emotions get in the way of sound judgement. I can lay down the hard facts that can be very uncomfortable for a lot of peoples, especially those who do have strong emotional attachment to the subject at hand. I'm not shy of mercilessly crushing emotional arguments and exposing cold hard truths.

For exemple, I'm generally pro-environment, but lately, I've been clashing with a number of peoples on the subject of tree cutting. The cold hard fact is that nothing is eternal. Take for exemple a tree that has rot at the base of the crown. Eventually, this will cause the big branches that form the crown to break off from the trunk. It is but a question of time and nothing can stop the clock. For many in the environmental movement, safety is not a valid argument to cut down a tree. I absolutely despise peoples who are too emotionally involved to understand basics facts. There is no place for me in the environmental movement as it exist.

The problem that I have with the statement in that image posted by @Kolev3000 statement is that it completely obscurs any kind of self responsibility. It is very easy to project and blame mental illness for behavior that is the result of a lack of discipline and basic self control in the face of one's impulsions. Lack of responsibility and accountability is one of the major problems that we are facing as a society and history will judge us harshly for that. When things are going great, peoples are quick to take credit, but when there are problems, there is always somebody or something else to blame. Poor decision making isn't a mental illness. Poor decision making and the anguish that it creates are entirely preventable. It is a lack of curiosity and willingness to learn from your, and other's mistakes. In some cases, it is a lack of due diligence. It is but merely a symptom of the deeper rot that lies at the core of our society.

1 hour ago, p_xavier said:

J'aurais aucun enjeu moral de couper les mains aux graffiteux.

Like I said before, we should probably invest in better public security instead of a militarized police force. In Singapore you rarely see police anywhere, and you certainly don’t see the police beating up on poor people or shooting people who don’t look like them. But the city state has an area just over 700 km², or a little more than half the size of Montréal’s urban area, and there are roughly 200,000 security cameras installed across the city state. People are free, happy, there is a little to no crime, there is no graffiti, no vandalism,  everybody can make as much money as they wish to make. Just follow the rules. Which is what any normal civilized society should be like.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SameGuy said:

Yeah that’s all understandable, but we will never know why it’s 100% concrete (voussoirs) for the 15+ km in the West Island (including some long spans back and forth over the 40), but deck-over-beams (a hodgepodge of steel and concrete) for PSC and Brossard.

I am be wrong since I am not fully aware of the geometry of the REM line and the span configuration along its way for PSC and Brossard. But this might be the explanation; Precast concrete box girders constructed with launching systems (as used for the west line) are efficient only when you have long enough straight lines with minimum curves and with mostly repetitive span lengths. Otherwise, slab on girders are more efficient. From my knowledge the line for PSC and Brossard have large curves and have many obstacles along the way which lead to different span lengths. Launching system would not be suitable for such conditions.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SameGuy said:

Like I said before, we should probably invest in better public security instead of a militarized police force. In Singapore you rarely see police anywhere, and you certainly don’t see the police beating up on poor people or shooting people who don’t look like them. But the city state has an area just over 700 km², or a little more than half the size of Montréal’s urban area, and there are roughly 200,000 security cameras installed across the city state. People are free, happy, there is a little to no crime, there is no graffiti, no vandalism,  everybody can make as much money as they wish to make. Just follow the rules. Which is what any normal civilized society should be like.

You know that Singapore is one of the world's most tough on crime nonetheless.

https://www.goabroad.com/articles/study-abroad/singapore-laws-to-know-before-you-go

Yes absolutely. I even bought the “Fine” t-shirt. But yes, as I said, as long as you obey the rules, you can do well and live happily.

My observation was that you don’t see cops anywhere, as many of them are plain-clothes and respond to activities caught by any of the 200,000 security cameras. There is no litter, graffiti or crime. There aren’t loitering skaters or pimps (ahem, Fairview), no public drunkenness (even though the club scene is crazy, and the sidewalk kopitiam sell beer all hours of the day and night), no fear of getting mugged or assaulted. I’ve lazily spent quite a few afternoons (or way-after-hours) drinking beer with locals at sidewalk bars in the heart of Little India and Bugis (the unofficially legal red-light district) with never a problem.

Singapore is a wealthy, successful city, with most people living happily and prospering within the established rules. It also has the highest rate of home ownership in the world, just as an aside. While I don’t think we’d benefit from a benevolent dictatorship, we could do well to emulate some of Singapore’s best practices.

image.jpeg.d1dc8550770b5dfd81923b8ec8abd70e.jpeg

(similar; mine wore out a few years ago)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SameGuy said:

The gap behind Costco is beginning to remind me of Dorval’s “Bridge to Nowhere.”

image.jpeg.faa5c2efbf113cb7bb7cbc12c5d041d1.jpeg

Something's up with that stretch. Jme demande si quelqu'un connait la raison. Pas de "je pense que"...  La vraie raison.