mtlurb

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 294
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

I don't really understand the issue... they want to make a heavy rail line to the airport with some commuter stops. The Dorion-Rigaud line already stops at the Dorval train station, it is like 2 km from the airport, and there is a bus that runs to the airport from the bus station alongside, and also a new rapid bus line. The AMT already runs the track at rush hours and the trains are packed, but at the off-peak times, there are only a couple of trains and they run almost empty. Is there really that much airport bound traffic that would want to run on this train instead of a cab? Running around public transport with all your bags sounds like a PITA.

AMT's whole plan is to integrate all these systems, to make the airport stop a part of the general commuter line.

Their plan also means that the dorion line will gain some dedicated track and thus will be able to be much more frequent.

The current train schedule is only because freight has priority and the AMT has to pretty much beg for whatever scraps are left in the schedule.

Thus the AMT proposal is good far commuters in addition to flyers.

The "problem" is that they want to end at lucien-lallier, which while having great metro access is "farther" from downtown than Central station.

On the other hand the airport and central station folks want a private line, independent of the commuter system with its own fees.

So while i love the idea of using central station, the greatest benefit for all citizens lies in the AMT proposal as it integrates and benefits the existing network.

PS. thats also why the west island mayors are fullly behind the AMT and hate the ADM proposal.

See this article for a more comprehensive analysis: http://blog.fagstein.com/2010/05/19/airport-train/

AMT's whole plan is to integrate all these systems, to make the airport stop a part of the general commuter line.

Their plan also means that the dorion line will gain some dedicated track and thus will be able to be much more frequent.

The current train schedule is only because freight has priority and the AMT has to pretty much beg for whatever scraps are left in the schedule.

Thus the AMT proposal is good far commuters in addition to flyers.

I know, but under the current situation they have pretty much everything in the main "rush hours", and only like two trains outside of them, I think one around 11 and one around 1400.

The rush hour trains are packed, but I rode both that 11 and 14 train a few times and I had an entire rail car to myself for the whole trip, nobody else inside the whole wagon (sometimes one person but I didn't bother to check the other cars)... is there really a demand for off-peak train? Especially since the bus is as fast outside of rush hour and cheaper...

I remember the big annoyance was the Vendome metro entry that is too small and thus badly congested and the occasional switching problem that made the trains late...

Modifié par Cyrus

Take a lesson AMT, STM, Cadillac-Fairview, Homburg, Ville de Montreal, Government du Quebec, ADM and whoever else is involved... This is how one builds a transit hub in the 21st century:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/construction-begins-for-transbay-transit-center-100475249.html

• 2 semaines plus tard...
Take a lesson AMT, STM, Cadillac-Fairview, Homburg, Ville de Montreal, Government du Quebec, ADM and whoever else is involved... This is how one builds a transit hub in the 21st century:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/construction-begins-for-transbay-transit-center-100475249.html

:relieved: Très beau concept, mais rien ne dit que le résultat final, ici aussi, ne ressemblera pas à quelque chose de réussi. Cependant les besoins sont différents partout et partent rarement de zéro. On doit composer avec les infrastructures déjà existantes et compléter le nécessaire de manière pratique et efficace, et selon nos moyens.

Malheureusement on semble avoir développé la mauvaise habitude d'écouter un peu trop les politiciens et pas assez les professionnels. Surtout que les politiciens sont très jaloux de leur pouvoir et nuisent plus souvent qu'autrement en augmentant les délais et les difficultés au passage.

Dommage qu'il y ait aussi tant de gens qui critiquent et si peu qui apportent des solutions pratiques. Facile de démolir les idées des autres, mais plus difficile de présenter à son tour quelque chose de crédible et de supérieur.

Comme dit l'adage: "à chacun son métier et les vaches seront mieux gardées".

• 2 semaines plus tard...
Maybe, after all, Lucien L'Allier station is good enough as a hub for improved West Island commuter train service and a new airport train shuttle.

In the past, Joel Gauthier, chief executive of the Agence metropolitaine de transport, has pushed the idea of a new $320-million station east of Lucien L'Allier, near the unused Windsor Station.

Gauthier, whose agency runs commuter trains, now appears to be pulling back from that idea. He is suggesting that a $40-million renovation of Lucien L'Allier, which currently features open-air platforms and a small enclosure, would be enough for now.

"We have a plan to put a roof at Lucien L'Allier and improve the station," Gauthier said this week. But "in the next 10 to 15 years, we're going to need a (bigger) intermodal station in downtown Montreal" for trains, buses and tramways.

There's room at Lucien L'Allier to accommodate a big increase in commuter trains and a new airport train, he said.

The AMT wants to provide service at least every 30 minutes between 6 a.m. and midnight on the Vaudreuil-Hudson line, which serves the West Island. Currently, there are big gaps in the timetable, especially at off-peak hours.

That expansion's price tag: $786 million, including infrastructure for a downtown-Trudeau airport train. It's unclear if that price includes the refurbishing of Lucien L'Allier station.

Among the stumbling blocks for the AMT's plan are the expense of the major new station near Windsor and the fact that big, potentially unsightly viaducts would carry trains across St. Antoine St. to that new station.

Aeroports de Montreal, the local airport authority, is pushing a different project -a $600-million train dedicated to air travellers that would shuttle them non-stop between Trudeau airport and Central Station.

The AMT's numbers don't add up, Aeroports spokesperson Christiane Beaulieu said. Lucien L'Allier can't handle the extra trains Gauthier proposes unless $130 million is spent moving the Blainville-St. Jerome commuter line to Central Station, she said. "The studies show that."

The AMT denies that line would have to be moved.

The shift in the AMT plan comes as supporters prepare to increase pressure on the Quebec government to boost commuter service before or in conjunction with any new airport shuttle.

On Tuesday, supporters of better West Island train service are to ask commuters to sign a petition to that effect. Mayors, city councillors and Liberal MNAs are to collect names at stations along the Vaudreuil-Hudson line, said former MNA Clifford Lincoln, who is spearheading the petition via his group, Train de l'Ouest.

"We think Lucien L'Allier is fine," Lincoln said. "It would be a very decent terminal station close to the city and connected to the metro."

(Courtesy of The Gazette)

The AMT is like that broke uncle we all have, always making projects but doing nothing.

' Next year I'm buying a condo in Florida '

' Next months I'm starting renovations on my house '

' In a few years I'm traveling all around Europe '

But he just called me the other day:

" Eyh man can you lend me 500$ to pay my rent ??"

The AMT is like that broke uncle we all have, always making projects but doing nothing.

Ok, mais d'un autre côté, c'est le gouvernement du Québec qui est le grand argentier de l'agence. L'agence ne peut que proposer au gouvernement d'investir dans tel projet plutôt qu'un autre, puisqu'elle n'a pas vraiment de revenu autre que ceux des usagers. Elle n'a aucune indépendance financière. Quant à moi il me semble que l'expansion de Lucien-L'allier fait du sens.

L'AMT devrait être plus indépendante, à la manière de Translink à Vancouver.

Ok, mais d'un autre côté, c'est le gouvernement du Québec qui est le grand argentier de l'agence. L'agence ne peut que proposer au gouvernement d'investir dans tel projet plutôt qu'un autre, puisqu'elle n'a pas vraiment de revenu autre que ceux des usagers. Elle n'a aucune indépendance financière. Quant à moi il me semble que l'expansion de Lucien-L'allier fait du sens.

L'AMT devrait être plus indépendante, à la manière de Translink à Vancouver.

Faut pas rêver quand on sait que les transports en communs sont subventionnés à hauteur de 50%.