Aller au contenu

OCPM : Ancien Hôpital Royal Victoria et de l’Institut Allan Memorial

MDCM

Messages recommendés

I agree, but you're looking at $50-100M at most.

Still, when the community is getting actively involved and donating private money to what is essentially a public institution, that says a lot.

Still, when the community is getting actively involved and donating private money to what is essentially a public institution, that says a lot.

This is irrelevant to the RVH discussion because the big donors who are in a position to donate $10M+ to McGill will sign the checks regardless of what/where McGill builds. Even if McGill decides to build say a $300M pavillon instead of RVH, you will still have a Desmarais or Bronfman pledging $50M for the naming rights. Incrementally, building a $1B RVH vs. a $300M project with the same floor space won't raise much more. M. Mme tout le monde pledging $100-$1000 won't move the needle. Unless everyone on this thread pledges $10M ;)

This is irrelevant to the RVH discussion because the big donors who are in a position to donate $10M+ to McGill will sign the checks regardless of what/where McGill builds. Even if McGill decides to build say a $300M pavillon instead of RVH, you will still have a Desmarais or Bronfman pledging $50M for the naming rights. Incrementally, building a $1B RVH vs. a $300M project with the same floor space won't raise much more. M. Mme tout le monde pledging $100-$1000 won't move the needle. Unless everyone on this thread pledges $10M ;)

Sorry, but i don't get your point why philanthropy isn't relevant to this discussion.

My point was that private money donated towards the building a public institution (whether it be a hospital, university or library) is very signifcant in itself, even if it lets taxpapers off tyhe hook for only 1% of the total cost. We're talking millions here that could be invested elsewhere. I never infered that that the sums donated would account for a 'substantial' portion of the RVH project.

Where did you get that number from? And by actual, do they actually mean "if the student population doubles in the next 15 years we will need XXXXXX extra sq. ft."?

I don't think it should be saved in its entirety at any cost. We are talking about ONE BILLION DOLLARS. Not $150M. Not $350M. We're in Getty Center territory here. Heck, that's what the I.M. Pei renovation of the Louvre cost (in 1989 dollars but still). Besides the Stade Olympique, the Oratoire St-Joseph, a potential baseball stadium that our dear mayor won't stop gushing about (he was chilling in Tampa this weekend btw, hopefully not on the taxpayers' dime) how many more pricy baubles can we afford? Let's be real. We are not the UAE or KSA.

Here, page 4: http://www.mcgill.ca/senate/files/senate/d13-64_rvh_memo_with_appendix.pdf

Well, you will be happy because it's not gonna be saved in its entirety, they overall want to reduce the number of floors by 4 and demolish all non-heritage buildings.

Avant de comparer avec le Louvre (en 1989!?...), peut-être qu'on pourrait comparer des pommes avec des pommes. La rénovation de la colline parlementaire a Ottawa qui se terminera en 2020 aura couté plus d'un milliard de dollars.

Here, page 4: http://www.mcgill.ca/senate/files/senate/d13-64_rvh_memo_with_appendix.pdf

Well, you will be happy because it's not gonna be saved in its entirety, they overall want to reduce the number of floors by 4 and demolish all non-heritage buildings.

Again, I find it curious that McGill has a 700,000 sq. ft. space deficit and the ONLY way to remedy it is to refurbish RVH. For example, they state that they need approx. 200,000 sq. ft. of office space. 2200 McGill College has 80,000 sq. ft. of contiguous space available right now (since Ultramar left) and up to 127,000 sq.ft. in total when other tenants leave. The location makes perfect sense. It's a stone's throw from Roddick Gates. It's 2 blocks away from the metro and all services. It offers 100+ indoor parking spaces. If you were a McGill employee/executive/teacher, would you rather walk 2 blocks to your office or trudge up the hill in the snow and slush? If McGill actually needs 200,000 sq. ft. of offices, why don't they make a move on 2200 McGill College, like, yesterday? They could sign a lease on the contiguous spaces with a right of first refusal on the remaining space, and eventually acquire the building once they're the sole tenant. The building is 2/3 vacant, so I'm sure Industrielle Alliance would be open to all options, including an outright sale.

As for the non-heritage USSR buildings, I don't think anyone will shed a tear for those.

Sorry, but i don't get your point why philanthropy isn't relevant to this discussion.

My point was that private money donated towards the building a public institution (whether it be a hospital, university or library) is very signifcant in itself, even if it lets taxpapers off tyhe hook for only 1% of the total cost. We're talking millions here that could be invested elsewhere. I never infered that that the sums donated would account for a 'substantial' portion of the RVH project.

What I meant is that the big donors will give regardless of where/what McGill builds, if it decides to do so. Le fait que ceux ci donnent n'est pas un gage de la qualité du projet, mais plutôt de la capacité à McGill de récolter des dons. Si McGill bâtit un pavillon de 700,000 p.c. ailleurs, l'argent des grands donateurs privés sera également au rendez-vous. Donc incrémentalement le montant de donation ne changera pas parce que McGill arrête son choix sur le projet RVH plutôt qu'un autre emplacement.

Again, I find it curious that McGill has a 700,000 sq. ft. space deficit and the ONLY way to remedy it is to refurbish RVH. For example, they state that they need approx. 200,000 sq. ft. of office space. 2200 McGill College has 80,000 sq. ft. of contiguous space available right now (since Ultramar left)...

Oui, mais est-ce que McGill sera propriétaire ou locataire de cet immeuble ? Ils veulent avoir le RVH pour 0$, c'est plus rentable que de louer dans le 2200 ...