Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 29
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

D'accord, mais que fait-on lorsque les habitants d'une même ville appellent leur ville de différentes façons? Par exemple, j'habite à 10 minutes de "Chère-brouque", "Sheux-Brook" (à l'anglaise), etc ??

Haha, là je ne sais pu. ;) Tout ce que je sais, c'est que j'ai dis tantôt (un pro linguistique à l'université qui m'avait expliqué ça)

Hehe, i know what you mean, but according to experts, a city's correct pronunciation is the one most used by locals. That's the standard for determining these things. So Montreal, to be correctly pronounced, is "Muntreal"

And it's a good thing too, i cringe whenever i hear MOHN-treal. I don't even realize they're talking about our us for 0.5 seconds :D

In that case, you should all pronounce my hometown as "Bahstin"!

That's in french, silly.

Personally, i think it's cool that Trudeau was mentioned on Jeopardy, but it was more of a "Hmm. That's neat." than a "OMG!! Montreal was on Jeopardy! Call everyone you know!"

I just found it interesting that the contestant who correctly answered it was a McGill student. It was like a freebie for her.

chris: you know exactly what i meant to say by that ... im sorry, but it just came across pretty badly for me, is all ... everything about it just reeked of provincial type quebec city mentality... *shudders* ........

by the way, montreal gets mentioned on jeopardy all the time. the only question I have is, how come it doesn't get mentioned more.

Hehe, i know what you mean, but according to experts, a city's correct pronunciation is the one most used by locals. That's the standard for determining these things. So Montreal, to be correctly pronounced, is "Muntreal"

And it's a good thing too, i cringe whenever i hear MOHN-treal. I don't even realize they're talking about our us for 0.5 seconds :D

In that case, we all mispronounce the name of Melbourne, Australia.

The Aussie pronunciation is Mel-ben, but we all call it Mel-born.

WOW!

there was a category yesterday called "Massive (M)etropolis", with answers consisting of major cities around the world who's name all began with M... would you believe it - NO MONTREAL !!!1 ... i mean, unless it was the 200$ clue - i missed that one.

SO CLOSE though ! ...