Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 1,2k
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

1 hour ago, mont royal said:

The problem with RL started long before the current administration. It was conceived as some kind of corporate haven, lined with cavernous and presumably prestigious  entry halls. The result is an empty sterile boulevard. If you get a thrill out of looming canyons it makes for good photo ops..maybe. Until it develops  street level commercial activities, it will remain a futile gesture to grandiosity. 

I always consider this street the most American in our downtown to be honest. The Bell Centre area is lively and it actually has restaurants and other activities, you do have some access to landmarks and parks. But the majority of the road is dead after 5pm, it's not the most pedestrian friendly and there really is no life. I really wish this can be improved on, but outside revamping the street, I feel that it is too late. 

• Like 4

Contrast RL to Bay St. which, while not exactly a mecca for pedestrian activity or interest, manages to retain some sense of intimacy and scale at 4 lanes while obviously serving as the premier corporate artery in the country, even if it may not have been conceived as such. Sometimes less is more.

The obvious criticism of Bay St. however, is that the new city is layered on the old city à la Boston or Pittsburgh. While I personally find this more visually interesting than RL, it came at the cost of many, many heritage-worthy Toronto buildings. 

• Like 2

R-L isn't the only street poorly conveived as far as buildings go.  McGill College also just has only grandiose corporate entrances and virally no retail activate the street; it also would have been an ideal street to have a hotel on.  Again, poorly planned IMHO.   De Maisonneuve also has some of these issues but has more retail mixed in.