Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

^

cest sur 3,588,520..pas sur 1,800.000

900 000 cest beaucoup...cest vrai quil y en beaucoup...peut etre pas autant mais quand meme....

anyway il ya toujours du monde qui se trompent dans ces sondages la...

c comme la catégorie spanish.....il ya pas 50 000 espagnols a montreal ...voyons donc....mais ils ont inclus probablement certains latinos etc....

la meme chose arrive probablement avec les francais....des quebecois se sont inclus la dedans etc.....

Well while I can't speak for the entire Jewish population, 5 years ago all 7 cousins (including my sister and I) lived in Montreal. Today 3 live in Montreal, 2 in Toronto, 1 in NYC and 1 in Boston. And I'll be honest while I do love this city wholeheartedly I have no idea where I'll be situated when I graduate.

I also think my family story is very representative of Jews in Montreal in general. Grow up here, love the city, but find much better opportunities elsewhere. I think the solution is creating more jobs in high-paying specialized sectors. Unfortunately, while stating the solution might be easy, finding the method to implement that solution is a whole other ball game.

Definitely part of the reason is the economy, but I didn't expect such a large exodus. Especially since I've read stories about French-speaking Sephardi Jews immigrating here from South America and France (Maybe they identify as "Spanish" or "French" rather than Jewish?). I would think that the population would be more stable.

I also find it odd that the number of people of English, Scottish and Irish descent grew faster than the number of anglophones? What gives? More than twice as many Irish "arrivals" to Montreal in the last five years compared with Haitians... I have a hard time believing some of these numbers.