Aller au contenu

Royalmount

denpanosekai

Messages recommendés

Anyone else remember that huge mall project that was abandoned 3/4 built in Riviere-des-Prairies in the 90's ... why do I feel like we are looking at history repeating itself? 

il y a 6 minutes, job a dit :

Anyone else remember that huge mall project that was abandoned 3/4 built in Riviere-des-Prairies in the 90's ... why do I feel like we are looking at history repeating itself? 

Tu es la meilleure personne pour répondre à cette question.  Je ne connais pas ton état d'esprit.  Ce que je sais, c'est que la localisation de l'un et l'autre projet est radicalement différente.  RDP est périphérique, Royalmount est central.

• Like 2

il y a 59 minutes, Né entre les rapides a dit :

Tu es la meilleure personne pour répondre à cette question.  Je ne connais pas ton état d'esprit.  Ce que je sais, c'est que la localisation de l'un et l'autre projet est radicalement différente.  RDP est périphérique, Royalmount est central.

En plus, on n'arrête pas de dire qu'il y a trop de circulation autour de Royalmount.  De l'achalandage n'est peut-être pas une si mauvaise chose finalement…  Ce n'était clairement pas le cas de l'emplacement à RDP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Né entre les rapides said:

My state of mind is one where retail spaces are empty everywhere and building a mega-mall with a mediocre access plan and the hope that people will want to take the metro or wait in traffic to go buy Louis Vuitton --- in Montreal --- is wishful thinking.

Everything about it is off ... a waterpark? 

• Like 1

• Administrateur
il y a 5 minutes, job a dit :

My state of mind is one where retail spaces are empty everywhere and building a mega-mall with a mediocre access plan and the hope that people will want to take the metro or wait in traffic to go buy Louis Vuitton --- in Montreal --- is wishful thinking.

Everything about it is off ... a waterpark? 

We're just chatting, but do you honestly think its easier to park downtown Montreal to get the Louis Vuitton bag? Corner Montagne and Ste-Catherine? That's the only other Vuitton outlet in town.

5 minutes ago, mtlurb said:

We're just chatting, but do you honestly think its easier to park downtown Montreal to get the Louis Vuitton bag? Corner Montagne and Ste-Catherine? That's the only other Vuitton outlet in town.

Definitely; parking is downstairs at Holt's ... The Jean Talon exit on Decarie (without the mall) is a 20 minute ordeal. 

• Administrateur
il y a 5 minutes, job a dit :

Definitely; parking is downstairs at Holt's ... The Jean Talon exit on Decarie (without the mall) is a 20 minute ordeal. 

And to get to the that downstairs parking downtown? You forget that its really something getting in town more and more... 

11 hours ago, mtlurb said:

And to get to the that downstairs parking downtown? You forget that its really something getting in town more and more... 

But Midtown is 'in town' ... for many areas, it is harder to get to than downtown. For example, from the South Shore or for the entire East of the island. 

Similar arguments were brought up back in the day when Holt Renfrew opened a second location at Dix30 (the H2) and that was catastrophic.

Just to be clear, I was a fan of the Royalmount project in its original iteration where it created a new, urban environment and ecosystem. In that context, it made sense. Now, it is a truncated version that really leaves us with an out-of-context mega-mall that may work but probably not as a luxury destination.

In regards to accessibility, I agree that downtown has been a challenge but the infrastructure work is nearing its end ... the 720 is nearly finished, the REM stations almost ready, the Champlain finished, the Turcot done and the Saint Catherine and Peel works coming to an end. The situation is the exact opposite at Royalmount where the elevated Metropolitan will have to be redone (that will take 74 years!) and the public access reconfigured. 

A good idea that has gone askew in my opinion but there was so much money already invested that they could not back down. I doubt L.Catterton would have backed the current project from the beginning.

• Like 3

A quick 2¢ (my opinion hasn’t changed since my posts earlier in the thread): properly served with nearby access to integrated rapid transit, there is a reasonable chance that a “lifestyle centre” could succeed here. But a covered walkway that leads to a single station near the dead end of the Métro’s longest line doesn’t fulfill that requirement; if and when the Orange is extended to Bois-Franc, that would make it much more interesting.

However, I remain unconvinced that “luxury goods” shoppers would schlep out to a mall at a busy freeway interchange in the middle of industrial hell in order to casually peruse the latest LVMH offerings — whether by Métro or safely ensconced in their X6/Q7/Geländewagens at 2 km/h in the Circle.

• Like 2