Aller au contenu
publicité

Royalmount

denpanosekai

Messages recommendés

il y a 1 minute, job a dit :

Amen. 

It is all about creating experiences in line with the values of the new generations. A megamall at a highway intersection with unaffordable housing and no green in sight is the exact opposite of those values. 

If we are going after the luxury shoppers ... they won't want to go down to a huge, crowded mall in the middle of nowhere to buy their 5000$ purses. If we are going after the new, experience-driven generation, a megamall surrounded by highways probably isn't it either.

Hence, my initial criticism of the project ... 

Tell that to everyone who goes to Yorkdale Mall, just off the highway to buy $5000 handbags!

• Like 1

publicité
6 minutes ago, maxi2515 said:

Tell that to everyone who goes to Yorkdale Mall, just off the highway to buy $5000 handbags!

Yep ... it works in Toronto which has a completely different demographic, population and economy. Good point.

It would also work great in Dubai but Montreal isn't that either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxi2515 said:

We’ve been over this multiple times already. It’s ok if you don’t want to read all 348 pages of the thread, or the 60 pages of the Orange line extension thread that had plenty of banter about this mall.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mtlurb said:

Some people forget or might not know that the most expensive retail items are already sold in that “industrial”, off the highway, gritty location.

Yes, I am talking about Aston Martins, Bentleys, Rolls Royce, Ferraris and more … all in that same location. There has to be a reason for that. Why aren’t they downtown or scattered elsewhere. Nope. They are all there. 

The people behind that project are not idiots, they know their demographics more than you and me. 

Also, while there are a number of available retail storefronts available downtown, Montreal appears to have a problem in terms of a large number of landlords renting relatively small storefronts.  Too many landlords to negotiate with, getting the exact type of floorplan you want at the right spot at the right time can be challenging.  Being able to start "fresh" in a new-build lifestyle centre has that going for it, like it or not.  The high end luxury works downtown at the Ogilvy/Holts complex and a portion of de la Montagne where the Four Seasons is, but otherwise things are spread out.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mtlurb said:

Some people forget or might not know that the most expensive retail items are already sold in that “industrial”, off the highway, gritty location.

Yes, I am talking about Aston Martins, Bentleys, Rolls Royce, Ferraris and more … all in that same location. There has to be a reason for that. Why aren’t they downtown or scattered elsewhere. Nope. They are all there. 

The people behind that project are not idiots, they know their demographics more than you and me. 

Just going to point out that none of these dealerships are recent ... they are all remnants of a time when they were 'cheap, large plots of land' relatively close to Westmount / TMR / Outremont. Furthermore, it is hard to categorize car dealerships as luxury shopping ... you buy your Bentley or Aston Martin once every few years at best. After that, they come pick up your car for servicing. I think Royalmount is hoping for more than a visit every few years.

No one is saying the people behind the project are 'idiots'. They KNEW their demographics and the economic climate when they chose to jump in. They could not have predicted covid, municipal issues, inflation, supply chain issues, etc.

Again, the initial project was definitely interesting. Its current, diluted iteration, not so much.

In my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrateur
Il y a 2 heures, job a dit :

Just going to point out that none of these dealerships are recent ... they are all remnants of a time when they were 'cheap, large plots of land' relatively close to Westmount / TMR / Outremont. Furthermore, it is hard to categorize car dealerships as luxury shopping ... you buy your Bentley or Aston Martin once every few years at best. After that, they come pick up your car for servicing. I think Royalmount is hoping for more than a visit every few years.

No one is saying the people behind the project are 'idiots'. They KNEW their demographics and the economic climate when they chose to jump in. They could not have predicted covid, municipal issues, inflation, supply chain issues, etc.

Again, the initial project was definitely interesting. Its current, diluted iteration, not so much.

In my opinion.

Yes but keep in mind these dealers are there for a while, it actually proves that this are does have something going for it... they could have moved somewhere else. And trust me they could've found a nice plot elsewhere.

There's money in that area, a lot of it. Also lets not forget, its easier for west island, Laval and north shore to go to Royalmount than going downtown. But I think we are repeating ourselves here. :)

• Like 1

• Administrateur

Edit: also, I believe the promoter is betting on Montreal getting richer in the future... which is based on our current trend of the last 20 years, is not that far fetched.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtlurb said:

Also lets not forget, its easier for west island, Laval and north shore to go to Royalmount than going downtown.

Most certainly not. If I need to drive downtown, I invariably take the 20 and either the Bonaventure (if I’m going between Mountain and Bleury) or the Ville Marie (west of Mountain or east of Bleury). I return the way I came. I don’t have half the day to waste trying to get from Cavendish to Decarie and back! Worse, the 13 north causes the 40 west to be a parking lot beginning at 2 pm most weekdays. Our highways and interchanges are awful; putting a luxomegamall at the confluence of two of the busiest is just insane.

• Like 3

• Administrateur
Il y a 1 heure, SameGuy a dit :

Most certainly not. If I need to drive downtown, I invariably take the 20 and either the Bonaventure (if I’m going between Mountain and Bleury) or the Ville Marie (west of Mountain or east of Bleury). I return the way I came. I don’t have half the day to waste trying to get from Cavendish to Decarie and back! Worse, the 13 north causes the 40 west to be a parking lot beginning at 2 pm most weekdays. Our highways and interchanges are awful; putting a luxomegamall at the confluence of two of the busiest is just insane.

I don’t exactly know where you live but I just did a simulation on google maps from Kirkland to royalmount and it takes 20 mins by car. And Kirkland to holt renfrew takes 35 minutes. That’s now at 4:50 pm in rush hour.