Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Good points.

But some counter-arguments just to stir the pot and for debates sake.

Much appreciated!

In terms of point one, while the death of the red-light district is currently seen as a bad thing, and the way in which the expropriations were undertaken were rather dim-witted, the results should be positive in the years to come. In any case, 2-22 was an eyesore, Opera is looking for another location, Lingerie Romance is part of a chain of eight stores so if they want to find a nearby location they should not have too much trouble, Saints – I haven’t heard anything, Katacombes moved up the street, I think the Sexotheque and Sex-Village are staying put (correct me if I’m wrong), the Montreal Pool Room is moving across the street and I can almost guarantee we are far from hearing the last of Cafe Cleopatre.

As for the bias against nightlife activities, I don’t know too much about the topic or the event you were referring to, but looking at the current state of the main around Prince Arthur, that position is unsustainable and before too long you should see a reversal from that policy. Anyways the vibrancy a university campus brings isn’t 100% comparable to that of the ‘sinful’ portion of an entertainment district.

In terms of point two, if I was below the poverty line, I’d much rather live uptown than downtown (just like your average Montrealer), especially if it means living in a mixed-unit development as opposed to a development that is 100% public housing.

The FRAPRU mentality is less about the geographic location of the area as much as it’s about the desirability of the area. It’s an issue of perception. If you can prove the value of the Outremont yards to the wealthy you can most certainly prove its value to those in the lowest income bracket. Living in the Outremont rail yards area would mean living extremely close to some of richest, hippest and most-family friendly areas in the city (especially for families with limited or no car access).

In terms of point three I’d have to agree, but there you have two options. First option is, as is the case with the Outremont campus plan in its original state, is to butt the rails up against Beaumont street with 0 connections between Beaumont and the rail yards.

UdMPlan1.jpg?t=1269978689

The second option, which I prefer is to connect Wiseman in Outremont to l’Acadie, thus making the gentrification of Beaumont and l’Acadie a subproject within this project and adding at least 500 more residential units to it. Converting Beaumont lot by lot into a medium-density residential street and l’Acadie into an appealing boulevard would have an immense impact on Parc-Extension, an area with great potential. It would become a prime example of an excellent mid-to-low income urban community.

UdMPlan2.jpg?t=1269978639

Je vois pas pourquoi le centre-ville devrait être exclusivement offert aux riches. C'est un morceau de terre. À part la valeur qu'on veut lui donner, il n'en a aucune. C'est pas écrit sur le sol que c'est un terrain qui vaut cher.

Si on tasse toujours les moins nantis, ça fait des quartiers pauvres ou ghettos, contre qui on bitch de toute façon après.

As for the topic of the poor living downtown, law of supply and demand aside, it’s not so much an issue of the right of who can live where as much as it’s who can bring what to the table. Higher-income areas have the ability to attract businesses to their major commercial arteries. Those businesses then attract more people from outside the neighbourhood to congregate on those main commercial arteries. The increased popularity of the commercial artery then attracts more businesses, more people and an increase in infrastructure funding (repaved roads, parks, nice lighting, public spaces); things that benefit the entire population – both rich and poor.

My mother’s father was a butcher and worked at a fish market after his butcher shop closed. My mother’s mother was a housewife. Needless to say money was tight a lot of the time. My grandfather would love to take my grandmother shopping...window-shopping that is – because that’s all they could afford. They enjoyed that activity nevertheless, something they would not have been able to take enjoyment out of if there weren’t wealthier people keeping those stores open.

As such, would you rather take a stroll down Sherbrooke between Claremont and Argyle or a stroll down Sherbrooke between Dickson and Langelier? Wealthy areas benefit the entire population. The more central the location and the closer to public transit the easier it is for the poor to enjoy these areas.

As for the ghettoization of areas by high concentrations of HLMs; that can entirely be avoided as it is in the planning of several upcoming medium-density residential developments in the areas immediately outside the downtown core. Affordable and/or subsidized housing are components of the Griffintown project (as it stood before and as I’m guessing it will stand once the project is reintroduced), the Alstom yards project, Les Bassins du Nouveau Havre, and I can almost guarantee that the case will be the same for the SRC project as well.

One of the major problems with Les Habitations Jeanne-Mance is that it is 100% HLM, thus creating the ghetto effect that you believe, and I agree, should be strongly avoided.

Modifié par rosey12387

???

Comment est-ce que tu crois que la valeur des terrains/condos est etablie, arbitrairement? C'est l'offre et la demande. Si le terrain/condo est au centre ville, la demande est plus grande et le prix est plus eleve (ou, l'offre est plus limitee, ca revient au meme). Si la ville force le developement de condos moins cher, il y a perte economique (de quelque facon que tu le calcule), qui devra etre absorbee par les taxes/impots, devenant effectivement un subvention des moins fortunes qui vivent en ville.

Ceci etant dit, il y a des justifications pour que ce soit fait ainsi; entre autre, la mixite sociale fonctionne mieux que la ghettoisation (Paris et ses banlieues est un bon exemple de ce qui doit etre evite)

Oui, je comprend l'offre et la demande, pas d'inquiétudes ici. Ce que je veux dire, c'est pourquoi ce ne devrait être que les riches qui sont au centre? Doit-on vraiment marcher exclusivement avec l'offre et la demande?

Tu le dis bien toi même, Paris est un exemple flagrant de ce qu'on ne veut pas qui arrive avec nos villes. Un moins bien nantis qui vie au milieu de gens plus riches aura plus de chances d'aspirer à mieux et de faire les démarches pour s'enrichir que s'il vie seulement avec des gens sur le bien-être social.

One of the major problems with Les Habitations Jeanne-Mance is that it is 100% HLM, thus creating the ghetto effect that you believe, and I agree, should be strongly avoided.

I agree, hence why I'm more about mixture than either just rich or just poor people. Even if it's just 10 or 15% of lower income people, you're not killing downtown by driving rich people out of there, and you're still doing something to avoid ghettoization.

Ceci étant dit, revenons à la discussion du sujet, pour pas trop faire dévier. ;)

Modifié par JFrosty

Il ne faut pas perdre de vue que le but premier de l'exercice est de constituer un second campus pour l'UdeM.

Je prend la peine d'utiliser le terme "second" plutôt que "nouveau", parce que le premier campus, sur le flanc de la montagne, n'est pas appellé à disparaître, au contraire. Ce n'est donc pas du tout comme l'Université Laval à Québec qui avait déménagé de son site intra-muros vers les vastes espaces de Sainte-Foy. (Dans ce cas, il s'agissait bel et bien d'un "nouveau" campus)

Par conséquent, le choix du site (2 e campus de l'UdeM) doit prioritairement tenir compte du site de l'actuel, pour des raisons de facilité des déplacements entre les deux sites, de sentiment d'appartenance au même secteur de la ville -- la communauté de l'UdeM. Or, ce sont le quartier Côte-des-Neiges et l'arrondissement Outremont qui dans mon esprit constituent cette communauté. Et ce n'est sans doute pas pour rien que le déménagement de HEC Montréal s'est fait de l'avenue Decelles au chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine.

Le site général que plusieurs d'entre vous ont évoqué--à l'est du centre des affaires et à proximité du Quartier des Spectacles, a bien des qualités, mais ce n'est pas le "fief" de l'UdeM, bien davantage celui de l'UQAM.

Pour moi ça compte, non pas parce qu'une université serait "supérieure" à l'autre ou des balivernes du genre, mais simplement parce que chacune mérite une identité propre, laquelle ne peut pas être détachée de son lieu physique principal.

Il ne faut pas perdre de vue que le but premier de l'exercice est de constituer un second campus pour l'UdeM.

Je prend la peine d'utiliser le terme "second" plutôt que "nouveau", parce que le premier campus, sur le flanc de la montagne, n'est pas appellé à disparaître, au contraire. Ce n'est donc pas du tout comme l'Université Laval à Québec qui avait déménagé de son site intra-muros vers les vastes espaces de Sainte-Foy. (Dans ce cas, il s'agissait bel et bien d'un "nouveau" campus)

Par conséquent, le choix du site (2 e campus de l'UdeM) doit prioritairement tenir compte du site de l'actuel, pour des raisons de facilité des déplacements entre les deux sites, de sentiment d'appartenance au même secteur de la ville -- la communauté de l'UdeM. Or, ce sont le quartier Côte-des-Neiges et l'arrondissement Outremont qui dans mon esprit constituent cette communauté. Et ce n'est sans doute pas pour rien que le déménagement de HEC Montréal s'est fait de l'avenue Decelles au chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine.

Le site général que plusieurs d'entre vous ont évoqué--à l'est du centre des affaires et à proximité du Quartier des Spectacles, a bien des qualités, mais ce n'est pas le "fief" de l'UdeM, bien davantage celui de l'UQAM.

Pour moi ça compte, non pas parce qu'une université serait "supérieure" à l'autre ou des balivernes du genre, mais simplement parce que chacune mérite une identité propre, laquelle ne peut pas être détachée de son lieu physique principal.

Thanks for your opinion!

When I first envisioned this second campus (coining the term new simply because it doesn’t currently exist) it was always in the shadow of UdM’s pride and joy in Outremont on Mont Royal.

Essentially, a reproduction of the Concordia model (which many think works excellently even despite the lack of a metro station on the premises of Loyola), but instead of the de Maisonneuve/Sainte-Catherine campus taking center-stage, in this case it would take a backseat behind the non-downtown campus.

While I agree with your point regarding ease of transport between both Outremont sites, I think this is compensated for, at least in part, by the close proximity of my proposed site for this second campus (which is supposed to be heavily oriented towards the sciences) to the ESPUM and the CHUM.

Furthermore, at least in terms of benefits to the city, I truly believe the freed up space for increased family development at the Outremont yards more than compensates the inconvenience this could pose for affected students.

And while I can certainly appreciate the ‘communauté de l'UdeM’ principle, UQAM (with its two distinct downtown campuses), McGill, Concordia and UdS (acting as a secondary campus) all lack the one-geographic community label, but regardless it seems to work. As for the reference to the new HEC Montreal building I don’t really follow the connection. It was built thirteen years ago, before any major talk of a second campus, as a logical extension of the current campus (it’s directly south of Pavillon Roger-Gaudry, the university's main pavilion, across the street from Ste-Justine, the university's children's hospital, and on the same street as three of the university's other pavilions). It would be like saying that Concordia’s construction of the new John Molson School of Business Building somehow undermines the existence of Loyola. And if the Saint-Denis area of downtown is good enough to be the ‘fief’ of the CHUM and the ESPUM, why couldn’t the university make that same connection with any of its other faculties?

Modifié par rosey12387

Thanks for your opinion!

When I first envisioned this second campus (coining the term new simply because it doesn’t currently exist) it was always in the shadow of UdM’s pride and joy in Outremont on Mont Royal.

Essentially, a reproduction of the Concordia model (which many think works excellently even despite the lack of a metro station on the premises of Loyola), but instead of the de Maisonneuve/Sainte-Catherine campus taking center-stage, in this case it would take a backseat behind the non-downtown campus.

While I agree with your point regarding ease of transport between both Outremont sites, I think this is compensated for, at least in part, by the close proximity of my proposed site for this second campus (which is supposed to be heavily oriented towards the sciences) to the ESPUM and the CHUM.

Furthermore, at least in terms of benefits to the city, I truly believe the freed up space for increased family development at the Outremont yards more than compensates the inconvenience this could pose for affected students.

And while I can certainly appreciate the ‘communauté de l'UdeM’ principle, UQAM (with its two distinct downtown campuses), McGill, Concordia and UdS (acting as a secondary campus) all lack the one-geographic community label, but regardless it seems to work. As for the reference to the new HEC Montreal building I don’t really follow the connection. It was built thirteen years ago, before any major talk of a second campus, as a logical extension of the current campus (it’s directly south of Pavillon Roger-Gaudry, the university's main pavilion, across the street from Ste-Justine, the university's children's hospital, and on the same street as three of the university's other pavilions). It would be like saying that Concordia’s construction of the new John Molson School of Business Building somehow undermines the existence of Loyola. And if the Saint-Denis area of downtown is good enough to be the ‘fief’ of the CHUM and the ESPUM, why couldn’t the university make that same connection with any of its other faculties?

Vous apportez certainement de bons arguments!

Bien que je ne soit pas encore "convaincu", vous m'avez fait réfléchir...Néanmoins, à ce stade, je serais bien surpris que la direction de l'UdeM soit ouverte à changer ses plans aussi radicalement--n'oubliez pas qu'à Montréal on doit commencer à en avoir soupé de ces changements de plans qui retardent la mise en oeuvre des projets, quels qu'ils soient!

En passant, le campus principal de l'UdeM sur le flanc nord de la montagne est situé dans les anciennes limites de la Ville de Montréal, pas Outremont, mais bien sûr à proximité immédiate de cette dernière. Le point concernant HEC visait à faire ressortir l'idée de la préférence pour un emplacement dans le même secteur de la ville que l'édifice précédent.

Bravo pour votre approche qui ne craint pas de remettre en question les plans et les perceptions!

Intéressant comme lecture et je suis d'accord en bonne partie avec ce qu'il avance.

Je crois (comme "Né entre les rapides") que l'UdeM doit demeurer du côté nord de la montagne. C'est ce qui l'identifie et qui la distingue des autres. Le site sur lequel l'école est construite est rempli d'un potentiel incroyable qui a malheureusement été développé tout croche.

Il y a beaucoup d'espace libre sur le site (plusieurs sont des stationnements) sur lesquels ont pourraient construire avec quelques étages de stationnement intérieur et conserver d'autres espaces pour aménager des places vertes.

udm_ouest.jpg

Un exemple de la partie ouest du campus au coin Decelles et Jean-Brillant.

En bleu: des bâtisses.

En vert: du vert!

Si on bouchait tous ces trous à la grandeur du campus, je ne suis pas convaincu qu'il manquerait encore autant de place qu'on nous laisse croire.