Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

June 16th, Monocles new Top 25 Liveable Cities is available :)

The ones they have showing is; Berlin, Rome, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Sydney, Madrid, Vienna, Munich, Honolulu and Kagoshima. Not sure if those are the top 10 or 10 randomly selected named from the list. Plus 5 of the 25 are supposedly the ones they can't live without.

• 4 semaines plus tard...
  • Réponses 30
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

11. Stockholm

12. Paris

13. Auckland, New Zealand

14. Barcelona, Spain

15. Singapore

16. Fukuoka, Japan

17. Hong Kong

18. Portland, Oregon

19. Honolulu, Hawaii

20. Vancouver

21. Kyoto, Japan

22. Hamburg, Germany

23. Lisbon, Portugal

24. Montreal

25. Seattle, Washington

(Courtesy of Monocle)

The other spots will be announced the day the magazine is on the stand. Since 2007, Montreal has dropped 12 spots :(

History of Montreal in Monocle's Most Liveable Cities

2007 -- 12 / 20

2008 -- 16 / 25

2009 -- 19 / 25

2010 -- 19 / 25

2011 -- 24 / 25

At this rate, Montreal will not be on the list next year.

Also there is 5 cities that they like, but it wouldn't make the cut (ever). Plus also in this issue, they have an article on Habitat 67.

Modifié par jesseps

Before 2007 we thought Turcot and Champlain weren't soon to fall down :D

Notice how aside from Hong Kong, Paris and Singapore (how the HELL is Singapore a livable place? Maybe if you're into S&M :rotfl:) all these cities are relatively small, "Montreal-size" places in terms of population...

Before 2007 we thought Turcot and Champlain weren't soon to fall down :D

Notice how aside from Hong Kong, Paris and Singapore (how the HELL is Singapore a livable place? Maybe if you're into S&M :rotfl:) all these cities are relatively small, "Montreal-size" places in terms of population...

Guess we will find out on the 16th why some of these cities beat out Montreal. When I was listening to the Monocle podcast, they said Montreal dropped because of our traffic problem. I just can't wait to see what is in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th. Munich for sure falls somewhere in those numbers. True that Seattle, Honolulu, Vancouver and Portland have a population under 1 million. Honolulu is probably the city on the list with the least amount of people living in it, with some 374,658 residents.

[update]: Actually Zurich has a smaller population then Honolulu, but not by that much. Only around 2000 less people.

Cities by population size

1. Helsinki (588,941)

2. Zurich (372,047)

3. Copenhagen (541,559)

11. Stockholm (851,155)

12. Paris (2,193,031)

13. Auckland, New Zealand (1,354,900)

14. Barcelona, Spain (1,621,537)

15. Singapore (5,076,000)

16. Fukuoka, Japan (1,461,631)

17. Hong Kong (7,055,071)

18. Portland, Oregon (583,776)

19. Honolulu, Hawaii (374,658)

20. Vancouver (578,041)

21. Kyoto, Japan (1,465,917)

22. Hamburg, Germany (1,783,975)

23. Lisbon, Portugal (564,657)

24. Montreal (1,620,693)

25. Seattle, Washington (608,660)

Buildings over 120 m

Munich — 120 m x 2

Montreal — 120 m x 23 (Tallest - 205 m)

Honolulu — 120 m x 11 (Tallest - 131 m)

Paris — 120 m x 32 (Tallest - 231 m)

Hong Kong — 120 m x 120+ (Tallest - 484 m)

San Francisco — 120 m x 44 (Tallest - 260 m)

It seems the average city on the list is like over 600,000 people. Plus out of those that they named, two of them I can see myself living there: Honolulu and Paris. Actually make it 3 if you include Munich. I wonder if Raleigh or Charlotte, NC made the list this year or even San Francisco.

Modifié par jesseps

• 3 semaines plus tard...
  • 11 mois plus tard...

The Monocle Quality of Life Survey (2012)

Montreal no. 24

Consistently ranking among the best cities in the world, Montréal however has been a slow or non-mover in our survey. It has a booming arts scene, affordable higher education, plenty of green areas, and an internationally diversified, out-going 
society – but it seems that lately the government has been neglecting the city’s full potential.

Despite the ongoing major transport projects totalling ca$22.9bn (€17.7bn), and the bixi bike share system, Montréal remains desperate for better roads and infrastructure, which has been long overdue. We do applaud, though, the Rosemont-Petite Patrie Borough’s commitment to increase its green space to fight the rise in urban temperatures.

Twenty per cent of all new developments must be landscaped and the mayor’s eco focus has led to 21,057 cubic metres of new greenery in the district.

"Twenty per cent of all new developments must be landscaped and the mayor’s eco focus has led to 21,057 cubic metres of new greenery in the district."

Does it make sense to measure greenery in CUBIC meters? Do they mean the whole volume of the trees? How do they measure this?

Does it make sense to measure greenery in CUBIC meters? Do they mean the whole volume of the trees? How do they measure this?

I have been wondering that myself. I will email them later and hopefully get an answer.